SAU Community

Engine Builders Melbourne Rb26/30

BLK-51N

Agreed that my car is not a track car its too clean for that :) you know exactly what happens to cars that are tracked Ash :)

I'm more interested in having a super quick clean street car that I can take out on the occasional weekend for a spirited drive :)

Also agreed that you should choose your workshop and discuss parts/direction before you go off and start buying.

You may be surprised at how many track cars Barry has built engines for.

They are not all HWY and Drag set ups, it just happens to be that that is what is popular ATM as customers come to him with the build requests, he does not tell them which application to build for.

Yes more to it than meets the eye once you get into the engineering side, Race pace find it hard to fit a RB30 in a R32, that comes down to the difficulty of making it fit correctly, Edge on the other hand has no problems with this, that comes down to a wealth of experiance as its a common request for them.

Now about the Pi times, i hope your not baseing that on the engines capability and reliability, you should be well aware thats based on the whole vehicle package, from suspension to brakes to box ratios to engine to tyres and so on.

Yes if the OP wants a package, Race pace is the best with the most experiance, even i would have suggested that.

However thats not what he was after......he needs a reliable track engine built, prefeably a RB26/30 into a R32 on a budget using Nitto parts.

Now thats why Edge was recomended, he also has a vast experiance builting engines using Nitto parts and the engines are holding up well in all applications, a testament to the quality of Nitto components, a very good machinist and a very well experianced engine builder with the know how to build to each application.

The last place i would want to go to is somewhere where they would push for a 28 to be built because they only know how to make them work, if a customer want a 30, then a 30 they should get, Edge has many 26, 28, 30 and 32's out there running Nitto parts sucessfully.

• Like 2

Now about the Pi times, i hope your not baseing that on the engines capability and reliability, you should be well aware thats based on the whole vehicle package, from suspension to brakes to box ratios to engine to tyres and so on.

I don't recall where I said anything of the sort...

However there is also more to a time attack/single lap set-up than just a motor and this is where some workshops far excel others.

Pretty clear I think.

Although I've gotta admit I did have a chuckle. I didn't even mention any workshop names! I didn't say one or the other was better.

Rather the OP should to go talk with people and workshops (ie, more than one) and make his own decision based upon that and the overall package, not just a single component of it and what can be offered (reasons/thoughts etc).

If the OP has already considered that and what I said wasn't a lot of benefit, great. If OP had not considered and has some more stuff to think about, happy to have provided something else to add to the discussion.

Nothing more/less than that gents.

• Like 1

However thats not what he was after......he needs a reliable track engine built, prefeably a RB26/30 into a R32 on a budget using Nitto parts.

Reliable

Cheap

Fast

Pick two; the old golden rule :)

The last place i would want to go to is somewhere where they would push for a 28 to be built because they only know how to make them work, if a customer want a 30, then a 30 they should get, Edge has many 26, 28, 30 and 32's out there running Nitto parts sucessfully.

Any engine workshop can build an engine. Not saying Edge won't do a good job - by all accounts it sounds like they have a good rep - but a workshop that does exactly what the customer wants, regardless of how poorly thought out their choices for an application may be, and doesn't step in to say we've built heaps of these before and found that x works better than y...is only doing that build for the work.

There's a reason RP have the reputation they do and cars literally overflowing out of their workshop - it has nothing to do with not being able to do what the customer wants. It has everything to do with proven results and enough experience and customer base to say this is better, do this. You're the customer and there's a reason you're going to experts in the first place - they are experts. I don't know about you, but I'd rather an expert tell me I have it wrong and do it the right way because that's what I'm paying them for :)

But anyway, the kind of workshop you speak of sounds like it suits OP better anyway, as his rather extensive research into what parts he should acquire and years of building track monsters with them will suit the kind of workshop who will meet a customer request without challenging it :thumbsup:

A certain well reputed workshop I would never go back to, which is I guess why threads like this exist because I'm not the only one.

The truth is, if you want a quick car, just look at f**kin Richo's car.

Stock engine, hiflow.

Spend everything else in learning to drive and having something that stops and goes around a corner.

Cheaper, way more fun, way less time invested in f**king around and so on.

That is where the smart money goes, absolutely what I'd do if I could go back in time.

• Like 2

Reliable

Cheap

Fast

Pick two; the old golden rule :)

Any engine workshop can build an engine. Not saying Edge won't do a good job - by all accounts it sounds like they have a good rep - but a workshop that does exactly what the customer wants, regardless of how poorly thought out their choices for an application may be, and doesn't step in to say we've built heaps of these before and found that x works better than y...is only doing that build for the work.

There's a reason RP have the reputation they do and cars literally overflowing out of their workshop - it has nothing to do with not being able to do what the customer wants. It has everything to do with proven results and enough experience and customer base to say this is better, do this. You're the customer and there's a reason you're going to experts in the first place - they are experts. I don't know about you, but I'd rather an expert tell me I have it wrong and do it the right way because that's what I'm paying them for :)

But anyway, the kind of workshop you speak of sounds like it suits OP better anyway, as his rather extensive research into what parts he should acquire and years of building track monsters with them will suit the kind of workshop who will meet a customer request without challenging it :thumbsup:

Birds hit the nail on the head. Any workshop will build anything you want, but not every workshop will give you the advice you need to make a better decision and end up with a better product.

• Like 1

They ask what the customer wants, customer presents the parts if they have them and then Barry advises them from there.

Not here are the parts, make it work, if the customer wants a reponsive E85 build and presents 8.2:1 pistons with 288 degree cams, they will be shown their error and told it wont work, and here is the right way to do it to achive your results.

Now if the customer insists to use them, they will be warned it wont work, and knowing Barry quite well they may even be shown the door, he is more than busy enough and certainly does not have time for people with a altered state of reality. :)

He certainly has no shortage of engine work in his engine room to waste time on dreamers and lately (spoke to him on Thursday) has been selecting what builds he wants to take on, if he knows they end result wont happen due to the customers insisted choises he wont put his name to the build.

Now about any workshop can build a engine, sure, build, but build it how?

Oil pickup too high or too low to the sump? Seen a few of these lately.

Bearing clearances near enough because they were amatureishly checked with a plastigauge? Seen a lot of those too.

End float on the crank set as whatever the new bearings came out as out of the box and not adjusted? Yes most normal builders are too scared to sand down the thrust face to adjust it better as its near enough to specs but on the tight side, she be right, once worn she will be looser.

Ring end gaps too tight or too loose depending on the fuel and clyinder pressures run, hell ive seen many ring end gaps not done square on tear down let alone gapped right.

Yes anyone can build a engine, but there is put together just like above and there is put together with care and meticulous attention to detail.

Dont confuse the two.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this topic has died down a bit, but I was just wondering where all these 1000hp+ cars are?

Not being a smartass at all but I seriously don't know of that many around Melbourne, I'd just love to know what and where they're used.

Some of the quickest street cars in melbourne don't have that much, there's very few infact.

For eg edge has half a dozen 1000hp going at once, and have built so many other ones too. Where are they going anyone know?

They rarely come out. You won't see these cars at the shopping centre hard parked for fear of defects, and most spend a majority of their time in workshops.

My 4G63 was built by Barry recently, and although I run it at 300kw at the moment, it's built to handle 800-1000hp as I plan to push it much harder soon.

Just because you build a 1000hp engine, doesn't mean you have to run that power all the time. It's a lot easier to reach these days too with ethanol pumps on every corner, just fit a large turbo and wind the boost up... If your motor and drivetrain can take it.

I saw the Gameon Supra on the Edge dyno, my god what a beast, although I don't really see the point in a rwd road car running 800kw. :P

• Like 1

I saw the Gameon Supra on the Edge dyno, my god what a beast, although I don't really see the point in a rwd road car running 800kw. :P

Have you seen its dyno chart stuck up on the cabinet near the rear entrance to the counter?

Much too much traction issues on the dyno. :)

Yes very few of them are driven on the street regularly, most are wrapped in cotton wool and only brought out for special occasions.....then they are pushed hard and packed away for the next occasion.

The latest 3.2L Nitto builds owner just bought another GTR stocky as his daily the other day.

Dont plan on producing 1000Hp and keeping the engine sharp by driving it daily and clocking up 100,000Km thinking it will be like the day it was built, performance engines in that power range dont work that way.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A certain well reputed workshop I would never go back to, which is I guess why threads like this exist because I'm not the only one.

The truth is, if you want a quick car, just look at f**kin Richo's car.

Stock engine, hiflow.

Spend everything else in learning to drive and having something that stops and goes around a corner.

Cheaper, way more fun, way less time invested in f**king around and so on.

That is where the smart money goes, absolutely what I'd do if I could go back in time.

If you are building a Time Attack car like the original poster stated and you want it to be an RB30 based motor I would personally buy whatever ancillaries you want to run, install it all and run it with a std engine and head combo for a few events.

Way too many engines die in the early days due to fuelling issues, oil supply issues, cooling issues elec gremlins etc etc etc. Get the thing sorted with a cheap engine and enjoy it. You may find the std engine well tuned with good oiling will provide you 90% of the numbers you are after!

Brakes, cage, seats, suspension and turbos, coolers, diff etc are already a +20k proposition and frankly is where most of the speed is over a built engine that may go bang due to teething problems. I guess it all depends on how "time attack" your track car is. I think if you are going wet sump with Nitto oil pump then perhaps that is the main reason/area where you need to speak to your engine builder and think what you are doing with your car

Lastly, acsplit has an RB30 with -5s turbo making serious grunt. I think the main difference between the RB30, RB26 or stroker RB28 is simply the nature of the delivery and the fact that the RB30 isnt fully counter weighted so doesnt spin up quite as nicely. RIPS and many others have got good numbers our of RB30s for years so doubt its the end of the world...but imagine a fully counter weighted crank is going to be nicer on bottom ends when you are spinning them to high rpm and throwing boost at them...but half a donze of one and 6 of the other