SAU Community

Where To Get A Proper, Quality Allignment?

ausdrift

I had a Pedders Sth Melb do my GTR once, had to take it elsewhere a day later to fix it up, was pulling heavy to the left - no way that couldn't have been picked up during the test drive.

Admittedly that was 4 years ago now and there have been lots of good reports since so perhaps just a blip on the radar :)

Having had YET ANOTHER poor quality alignment I've come to the conclusion that I wont be trusting any more shops that make the bulk of their money from selling tires. Who would have thought such a straight forward process, that of aligning a car, could be f**ked up by so many shops. Whether its not understanding my cars adjustable suspension, poor service or simply setting it up wrong/inproperly I cant believe its been so hard to get this right over the past few years.

Ive since changed to a Pedders where the manager used to own an R33 and they seem to know all about suspension, as that's all they do. I think ill be going to a place like this, or perhaps a shop that sets up suspension for track/race cars in future as so many shops seem to simply not be able to do this properly.

Out of interest, where did you take it?

You can also use Raceline in Blackburn. They recently did a full suspension/diff bush swap out on my EVO and I'm very stoked with the results, they are closer to me than Traction so I thought I'd give them a go. They are a new workshop in the scene, but the guys there have been in/among it all for 10+ years now so if you've been around you'll recognise the faces :)

They have done quite a few SAU'ers alignments/suspension work lately and are also a Forum Trader (doesn't get any better than that!).

• 2 weeks later...

Traction tyres have been good for my regular commuter cars, but not happy with their efforts with the Gloria.

Pulsar goes to Centerline Suspension.

Funnily enough Chris from Centerline said the best place to get alignments was through K-mart tyre and auto

He said they have the backing to buy the best/newest machines and are trained really well

I have a lot of friends that recommend Trackside race and rally in Kilsyth he does a lot of race cars apparently but does not have corner weight abilities there.

I have been to Centreline and was a bit shocked at how much they charge for the worked i asked, but the alignment was good from what i felt. Centreline has got a few random really bad reviews though. BC coilovers have pulled their support from them also.

yeah i heard there were issues with a silvia group buy or something like that...

It was something to do with the install on a s15 and how they did it. Supposedly was incorrectly installed and damaged also.

• 2 weeks later...

In reply to R31Nismoid - Tyrepower north Melbourne, and before that, the wheel deal. Both have disappointed for various reasons. The former, where I just took it, did happily look at it again when I called after finding out that a few arms/points weren't tightened. But then ultimately after the "fix" I didn't get the spec print out after numerous promises and excuses. When I took it to pedders they showed me that the caster was so out that he could fit two fingers between the wheel and the arch on one side and a whole hand width on the other! He said, to quote "I haven't seen caster this extreme on a car that wasn't involved in a crash". Then to top it off I got a reply back finally from tyrepower with some spec numbers that were all balanced and rosy, and nothing like the crazy specs/caster that pedders, only 1 day later, showed me that they had done. How stupid did they think I was? I got pedders to fix it all and were very happy with their service and advice.

In reply to R31Nismoid - Tyrepower north Melbourne, and before that, the wheel deal. Both have disappointed for various reasons. The former, where I just took it, did happily look at it again when I called after finding out that a few arms/points weren't tightened. But then ultimately after the "fix" I didn't get the spec print out after numerous promises and excuses. When I took it to pedders they showed me that the caster was so out that he could fit two fingers between the wheel and the arch on one side and a whole hand width on the other! He said, to quote "I haven't seen caster this extreme on a car that wasn't involved in a crash". Then to top it off I got a reply back finally from tyrepower with some spec numbers that were all balanced and rosy, and nothing like the crazy specs/caster that pedders, only 1 day later, showed me that they had done. How stupid did they think I was? I got pedders to fix it all and were very happy with their service and advice.

i know of this all too well. worked at a dealership that used to just print out standard wheel alignment sheets for that model of car when they were too busy.

• 3 weeks later...

I've since spoken with The Wheel Deal and I think I just caught them on an off-day the one time I used them. I would be willing to give them another shot in the future as they do seem a good business to deal with.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking to book in for an alignment somewhere not to far from North/West of Melb asap. It would be great if I didn't have to travel across the city for it... but I want it done properly the first time, without having to take it back.

Any good or bad experiences, recommendations or places to steer clear of, please share.

I'm looking to book in for an alignment somewhere not to far from North/West of Melb asap. It would be great if I didn't have to travel across the city for it... but I want it done properly the first time, without having to take it back.

Any good or bad experiences, recommendations or places to steer clear of, please share.

Just had my alignment done at Hakon located in Somerton, North of Melb, Jesse there did a sweet job.

Have always had a problem with my alignment which a couple previous workshop couldn't figure out why but Jesse picked it up within 10mins of inspections. Could've been a coincident but either way, was very happy with the overall service.

Definitely coming back.

• Like 2

Weltmeister east (usually more euro stuff, but the manager builds Skylines and Silvias in his spare time) in blackburn have a nice new alignment machine. They are open to doing what ever alignment you want :)

• 2 months later...

I tried Raceline in blackburn a few months ago and was impressed with the service and pricing.

Its a combined workshop so gets pretty busy, cars everywhere, but its conveniently located so will be going back in future.