SAU Community

Nissan Gtr 1994 - Smallest Most Powerfull Battery [not Stock Cca] And Very Strange Digital Clock Issue Due To Battery Power Im Sure

GTRAAH

Hi Guys,

I hope we can get a solution out of this. I bought a brand new internal digital clock which works (proven) seen with my own eyes, Problem is when I let the car sit there untouched for weeks -months and Ive added more electronics astime has gone by me owning the car the clock started turning off at certain times. Here is is the story and most of the electronics in the car

POWER 330AwkW mild tune -- Stock INternals

Alarm system + Micro sensor - 90% of the time on untill I remember to turn it off when I leave the car sitting there for weeks.

Subwoofer + amplifier

6x9 rear speakers

4 inch front speakers

DVD Pioneer deck + 7 inch screen

POWER FC + Hand COntroller

LARGER ALternator - biggest one that can fit in this spot, was a struggle to get it in there. but it looks nice :D

Larger fuel pump and injectors

I cannot remember what else, I definitely have other mods, like bigger cams and such but I dont think they use battery , or do they :\

Anyways..

Here is the the story, I dont drive my car very often infact id be lucky to drive it once a month, When I finally start it up, I let it idle for 5-8 minutes, and take off slowly for the first 10km the digital clock does not illuminate, I start driving for 30 minutes - stop the car park it. 5 minutes later jump back in and start it up and drive again, still doesn't illuminate, this time I drive for a GOOD 1hr straight around 50-70km, the next time I stop the car and let it sit for 5-10 minutes I start it up and the clock now illuminates and stays this way until I park it at home and let it sit there for a few weeks to a few months.

Can someone help me with this mystery? It defnitley is not the clock as we have tested it on a bench

Edited by GTRAAH

Stop do this:

"When I finally start it up, I let it idle for 5-8 minutes"

Just get in the thing and drive it. Cold idling engines don't last longer than ones looked after properly by driving them gently after a start, it just seems that way to everyone around you who will get pissed off listening to the terrible RB26 idle for 5 - 8 minutes.

If you are letting it sit for a month at a time go and get a solar panel battery trickle charger and hook it up to the car. This will keep the voltages etc up and you may well have the problem fixed.

A question: When the clock sparks up is the time correct?

Have you tried disconnecting some of your other unnecessary electronics like your audio and seeing the effect?

Does the internal clock have completely separate wiring to the rest of the auxiliary items like climate control and such? I can't remember without checking a diagram or pulling my own out.

@

Well when the battery completely dies no the the time is different, but when the battery is not dead the time goes back to how it was before.

@

I honestly cannot tell if its on its own wiring or on a separate line, you might be onto something here I wonder if I can get someone to run wiring directly to the battery instead of going through all the other stuff as this is why I think it takes a lot of juice to electrify the wiring as it has to bypass everything else, I am really bad when it comes to auto electrical stuff, it look real complicated behind it all. I took oit to JB HIFI to set up the DECK, I did not sit there and watch everything they did, I wish I can do this all myself or I wish I know a GTR enthusiast like me who I can pay to do he work for me, at least I know they will treat the way do and take good care of it whilst giving me tips.

@

"If you are letting it sit for a month at a time go and get a solar panel battery trickle charger and hook it up to the car. This will keep the voltages etc up and you may well have the problem fixed. " This is probably something I may have to start doing

Do you think its just easy to buy a mad ass battery and that'll be that? The question is whaat type of battery is going to be very power but sit in By the way is there anyone in the sydney area that can assist me in all types of work with my car, of-course i pay for your time, I even have the garage and tools, only thing is I do not have a low jack or ramps which is one of the main things but I am thinking of buying this tools.

Your time and help is appreciated.

FYI - I need all water and heater hoses replaced, I have the hoses ready to go. I also have Ikea formula front arms needed to be fitted, this is all for now. plenty more to come later. If someone has the skill and time id be glad to hire them as a mechanic for whenever I have work to do. BUt please I dont want some that is not confident or someone that says " Yeh yeh I can do this and that and then I find out they lied and they are trying to figure it out on the spot, as this is something I can do myself if I think hard enough.

Once again your time is appreciated,

Sydney has quite a few reputable workshops that can help you out with work for your GTR if you don't want to do it yourself. I do work on my own GTR as well as a shop I take it too in my town and personally some days its a f**king pain in the ass and you wish you just payed someone else to do it sometimes. A low jack is essential for working on GTRs, personally wouldn't use ramps though.

Your best off grabbing a battery that can hold its charge over long periods of time, i.e. deep cycle batteries, just need to get one that can fit in the tray. Another alternative or in addition to buying a battery that will hold its charge its to get a charger and put the battery on charge before you intend to run it.

I am guessing that your battery is supplying power to all your audio electronics, dash components, etc and alarm but the clock is being neglected until you have a full charge on your battery from running your high current alternator for a period of time (driving). Hence why I was curious if it was on a separate wiring loom, merged, etc, as it seems to be taking the power from the battery last in your case. Electricity will take the path of least resistance so it is likely that the clock loom or wiring happens to be after all the other electronics. If I get a chance I'll try dig up the wiring diagram and see how it is all connected and work out what it could be.

To replace water and heater hoses you will need to remove the intake manifold which sucks on its own, requires patience, small socket sets and bleeding fingers. Front arms could be quite annoying but not as bad as the heater hoses in my opinion. If you do decide to do it on your own, take your time and do it correctly and replace components that need it while there as you don't want to pull it apart again.

Sydney has quite a few reputable workshops that can help you out with work for your GTR if you don't want to do it yourself. I do work on my own GTR as well as a shop I take it too in my town and personally some days its a f**king pain in the ass and you wish you just payed someone else to do it sometimes. A low jack is essential for working on GTRs, personally wouldn't use ramps though.

Your best off grabbing a battery that can hold its charge over long periods of time, i.e. deep cycle batteries, just need to get one that can fit in the tray. Another alternative or in addition to buying a battery that will hold its charge its to get a charger and put the battery on charge before you intend to run it.

I am guessing that your battery is supplying power to all your audio electronics, dash components, etc and alarm but the clock is being neglected until you have a full charge on your battery from running your high current alternator for a period of time (driving). Hence why I was curious if it was on a separate wiring loom, merged, etc, as it seems to be taking the power from the battery last in your case. Electricity will take the path of least resistance so it is likely that the clock loom or wiring happens to be after all the other electronics. If I get a chance I'll try dig up the wiring diagram and see how it is all connected and work out what it could be.

To replace water and heater hoses you will need to remove the intake manifold which sucks on its own, requires patience, small socket sets and bleeding fingers. Front arms could be quite annoying but not as bad as the heater hoses in my opinion. If you do decide to do it on your own, take your time and do it correctly and replace components that need it while there as you don't want to pull it apart again.

Thanks so much for this comment , it makes so much sense what you said about the battery and the clock taking the power last, I may re modify my oil catch can and locate it somewhere else which will give e heaps more room for a bigger stronger battery.

The only reason I take it to workshops is because of the low jack and Dyno, I have had the worst luck with Mark @ hills literally never taking there ever again and if anyone loves their car Id follow the same path, but the fact I hate workshops in general is because they lack the passion as it isn't their car and just want to get the job done and get paid, which makes sense. I love this car literally like my second wife lol, I don't drive it daily, and I have the entire brand new interior from nissan ready to go into it, not because the interior is shit in fact its in 98% good shape and its a 1994/July make. Only reason I am putting the new interiror is just that its NEW, I want every nut and bolt eventually to be changed lol... This just shows you how I treat the car.

Id love to have a guy with the right area to work and the same passion willing to work for $$ in their spare time, hard to find though. I do have one guy but only thing is when his busy I need to wait weeks, good thing about him thought is I can watch him and wait workshops hate when you do that as they know they have to be EXTREMELY careful. THis guy used to be just my mechanic but now is basically my mate so he doesn't care.

Edited by GTRAAH