SAU Community

R34 Speed Sensor Issue Error 14

Hi,

I've got the 25-GT auto, and I've been having problems with my instrument cluster lately. The speedo, tacho, and odometers don't work properly.

Normally when I start the car, especially for the first start of the day, the instruments don't work for a good 20 minutes of driving, before they start working again. This has been ongoing for more than a month, it first started when I was driving on an error 21 code, which I resolved last week by changing the coils, though it has gotten worse and worse recently, taking longer time for the sensor to start working. The last time I filled up, the speedo and tachometers didn't work after I started the engine, and the fuel gauge also didn't update until the other instruments started working.

Today I was driving without the instruments working and the engine light came on, it went off again as soon as the instruments started working and then came back on later when they weren't, only to disappear once again when the instruments started working again. I got home and plugged in the scanner, I got Error 14 P0500. So I've obviously got an issue with the vehicle speed sensor.

What I wanted to ask was if the speed sensor from a RB25DET is compatible with the RB25DE engine I've got?

Also, would it be worth my while to get it checked out by a mechanic or should I go ahead and purchase a new speed sensor? I read that this fault can be thrown by loose wiring and other causes, I might not have to change the speed sensor but as it has been a problem for over a month I'm not sure if I will luck out with it only being a wiring issue. I'm in a bit of a tight situation financially as I've just had to spend a substantial amount of money on the coils and the labour so I'm looking to avoid having to purchase a new sensor until I'm certain it needs to be replaced. Would there be any easy way to check myself if it's a wiring problem? I'm absolutely hopeless mechanically so anything more than opening up the hood won't work for me. I was thinking I could try connecting to my scanner while driving without the speedo working and checking via my phone's Consult app to see if the ECU is still putting out a proper speed reading, which might indicate that it's a wiring problem.

Thanks

Edited by Wordsmith