SAU Community

Best Replacement For Standard Shock Absorbers In Skyline/stageas

The time has come to replace my shocks in the 260. What are a good option for replacing the shocks which give decent ride and performance? Something which gives good value for money is ideal.

I will keep the standard springs. I don't want to go to coilovers at this point in time as I want to maintain good ride quality, plus the front lip is low enough already.

^ This. Bilstein B6 as a minimum. The next step up is to contact Gary (SydneyKid from these forums) to supply a set that he has revalved and machined extra notches into to permit some height adjustment.

Caveat about the above advice though is that the SK Bilsteins are revalved to suit the old (no longer available) Whiteline springs which are more or less equivalent to the Kings Springs lowered springs. So if you were to ask Gary for some dampers, you'd best be ready to provide him with some numbers like your existing ride height (eyebrow height) and so on.

If it were me, I would definitely aim to use higher rate springs than the stockers. The Stageas are reasonably wallowy barges so some extra stiffness can't hurt. Given that it is a 260 though, maybe the springs in there aren't half bad and already a bit heavier than normal aircraft carrier springs.

I run Sk's bilsteins but the question was

Shocks which give decent ride and performance which are good value for money

KYB fit the bill perfectly :thumbsup:

Have you priced getting the Bilsteins recond?

Thanks for the replies.

I have heard about SydneyKids good work and i have been very keen on Bilsteins. However cash is not as abundant as i would like and I am considering other options. I know the stock 260 springs in it are thicker than gtr springs but i have not compared them to any other stagea springs. I would not mind stiffer springs if need be.

How much price difference are we talking between KYB and Bilsteins (either B6 or SK)?

Edited by flavzz

No I haven't Bob. I've done less than 10,000kms on them.

Is it pricey ?

Hard to say - I'm in NZ but I took the car in because one of the rears was knocking - he fixed one for $150- and said the other one was fine (as were the fronts). I had about 30,000 on them.

KYB aren't a bad shock absorber. The problem might be getting a set for a Stagea.

According to their online catalogue (kyb.com.au), they don't make any for the Stagea - closest might be for a 33 GTSt.

Bilsteins are night and day better. Plus, I pulled 10 year old 100000+km B6s off the front of my car to replace them with the new SK tweaked ones and they were still actually working fine. The rear KYBs, of the same age, had started leaking some years before and the rear damping had never ever been as nice as the front. Now with SK B6s all 'round, the silkiness of the damping is still something I notice, even a year later.

Yuh, I made the decision to put the KYBs on the rear because rear Bilsteins were not available at the time that I desperately needed to do it shortly after getting the car....about 15 years ago. I wasn't ever really happy with the result.

If budget is constrained, then sure, put KYBs in. As others have said, they're not bad. But they are twin tube (vs Billies being mono) and they do seem to not last as well. You will eventually end up doing it again because you have to, not just because you want to.