SAU Community

Pnm35 Manual Conversion

tomo123

Cheers Lee but i have zero desire to keep the auto IF i intend on more tuning with my M35.

I know i could build an auto to handle more power but it's the manual i enjoy. People will no doubt ask straight away "Why did you buy an M35 in the first place then???" and to be honest i didn't think i'd be this keen to build the thing as i am. I figured i'd add nice wheels, exhaust and do a few interior bits and be happy but the old modifying bug has hit again and instead of selling the M35 and buying something else (which is still an option) i'd like to continue exhausting options with this car first.

:cheers:

I don't really disagree...

I saw all the pictures on facebook of the build photo's which was why i spoke to them months ago. The above is what i was told. I agree that if the thing was a success there would be pictures or some kind of vids showing it off.

Two different cars mate. The first one has stalled from going broke I think.

PM Kinkstah about his auto setup. his spent big coin on his auto. shift kit, TCU tune, full paddle-shift setup. loves it. handles 400rwkw with no slip (apparently)

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/user/63726-kinkstaah/

The RE5 is a little different the the RE4 in the 34, and no-one is confident enough to fit the PCS auto controller (around 2K) just to find out there is a reason PCS discontinued releasing the RE5 kit.

After driving his car, I realised it is better than any manual I have ever driven. Auto ftw, if only they didn't overheat...

• Like 1

Two different cars mate. The first one has stalled from going broke I think.

That makes sense Scotty...

Plus i'm not building a race car or a drag car or anything of the sort.

I'm now building what i consider to be "cool" and to me RWD 6 speed in a M35 is cool. Other people will say that a built auto is "cool". A manual M35 would be a blast to drive in my opinion assuming i can continue to funnel money into it :yes: (which i certainly can)

Fair bit slower though, due to gear changes, and the whole rwd thing is what put me off. Skids and sliding are for Commodore owners. (and Craig)

If it were a decent box, like an air shifted hollinger sequential with the awd transfer case spliced behind... Now we are talking. :)

• Like 2

Yeah i agree it's certainly slower but It's old man in me that i enjoy shifting gears and the feeling of being involved in the process. Even in manual mode at high revs / boost my M35 isn't that keen on shifting at all... it does with my direction but it just doesnt feel right and is far from my above "cool".

I agree that a built auto would be the best from a performance point of view and be all "supercar" like but i would have to draw the line at $$$ at some point (i just get the feeling my line at the moment is higher than others)

I always think of it like this... (as i'm good at making money but fairly inequiped at working on my car)

1) The decide on the job i want do (in this case RWD manual + stand alone tuning)

2) I need to know the parts i need plus anything that will be custom made (HELP ME!!!)

3) Someone willing to not only undertake the job but i'd hope be interested in the result

So whatever this will roughly cost i decide if i am happy to make that financial committment. I don't think about if it's worth it based on how much the M35 is worth... i work out if it's worth it to me (ie. based on how long it would take to either save that cash or how long it would take to replace it from my finances..)

For me based on inital quotes from the tuning side i'm happy to spend that coin. The so far blank, bottomless hole is the manual conversion... if i can get a rough idea of the parts / costs i can make the same decision (which i think i'll be able to fully support).

and yes.... it will be cool!!

(and no not burn out / sideways cool... that is for commo drivers) :whistling:

Edited by Beregron

So what is exactly involved with converting an NM35 to rwd manual? Mechanically I get but ECU wise?? I'm looking down this path also as I reckon it would be a bag of fun and agree with Bergeron

have fun reading this thread first mate

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/252088-m35-manual-conversion/page-11?hl=%2Bm35+%2Bmanual+%2Bconversion#entry7375859

I have read it plenty of times but not having any experience in conversions it's a bit confusing for me... i get a lot of the jist tho.