SAU Community

Exhaust Ideas, Melbourne, Se Suburbs

Little

I still await a system which is quiet under vacuum but loud/louder (realistically just flows properly) on boost.

Surely this can be done via some kind of solenoid that reads MAP pressure?

I'd totally recommend such a system if a certain fabricator were to create one

You heard my evo, it's quieter than the Varex on my Stagea when it's closed yet still makes enough power to smash both of you at Sandown. :P.

So what you guys are saying is you want a loud 3 inch which you can make quiet when you want, as opposed to just making it close to legal DB and not having issues?

A Varex is nearly $500 these days, I just don't think they are value for money anymore.

Pm sent

They fail stuck closed usually, other than that I have no idea if it's mechanically internal or the dodgy electronics. I have seen it at least 8 times now, sometimes on newer mufflers. How many K's you done on it Birds? Ever got it hot at the track?

Considering the price, and the hassle it is to repair them, why not just use decent mufflers that quieten the system down all the time. Considering I can get a similar muffler without the valve for $100odd, you will pay close to $350 more for the valve and remote which is crazy considering the (lack of) quality. I was the one pushing them years ago, but I have been let down too many times.

Installation issues? It's not a 5 speed auto valve body replacement we are talking about.

At a guess about 90,000km. Have not tracked it but I don't take it easy on my car + all number of smoking brake hill climbs on legal roads of course. Also has had weeks of unburnt fuel driving on 5 cylinders as per my sporadic coilpack issues. Like I said I had a rich 98 tune before so the bore is probably lined thick with too much soot but I've never seen anything more than surface rust on my pipes. Cat and muffler are stainless steel.

I daily operate the Varex and believe this contributed to keeping it operational and preventing it from sticking. I wouldn't expect to not operate it for 6 months and maintain a perfect seal or turn without a little help.

I don't think they are good value either, but If someone wants dead silence and a loud muffler at the same time there really isn't a better alternative. All you can really offer with a static muffler is a compromise.

<3 the varex on the evo... granted it's not running big power, but it's a godsend to be able to run quiet if I need to, eg approaching a booze bus or driving through the CBD or arriving at a business meeting

This

Arriving at work, coming/going in the twilight hours of my shared and echo inducing carpark, or seeing police in traffic; it's a must for the eastern suburbs.

I still await a system which is quiet under vacuum but loud/louder (realistically just flows properly) on boost.

Surely this can be done via some kind of solenoid that reads MAP pressure?

I'd totally recommend such a system if a certain fabricator were to create one

I already made a Vac operated 3.5 inch valve, it's on my Facey page below. Boost actuation doesn't work as it's very laggy with the valve closed, it needs to open before the 0 psi crossover. I would prefer a mechanical solution like a simple air valve to an electric motor driven off the Haltech output, but both are easily done.

Rather than a 1 inch muffler bypass as the Varex runs, I would use an oem style glasspack muffler in 2.5 inch, and bypass that with the 3.5 inch and valve. At least that way it flows well when closed while keeping noise to a minimum.

A loud car/bike can be heard from km away. Closing it when you see the cops is a little too late, you are better to have it as quiet as possible at all times to avoid defects etc. Perhaps i'm just getting old. :P

• Like 1

For whatever reason I can't explain, but when I have the Varex closed the car seems to move off the line easier with less clutch slip required, as if it has a little more torque...perhaps back pressure? After this is starts choking, but only very minor until positive pressure where it becomes obvious. I've also boosted plenty of times with the Varex shut...it's a little laggier than normal but you can still put a few psi through it and move in traffic at modern Commodore/Falcon acceleration speeds.

I would rather link something to the TPS or a kick down button on the accelerator pedal. I feel that would be more dependable than anything running off pressure or engine rpm.

Really though, most of the time I drive with Varex open because I like hearing the loud exhaust. Closed mode is just handy for when you need it and better to have it and not need it IMO. Sound is also directional Scotty - that cop may not fully appreciate the volume of your exhaust until you're in front of him.

I remember when removing your cat made your car "faster" and louder was generally "faster".

I think most enthusiast these days realise a well designed system with good quality muffler and cat can match any STREET car need at a reasonable dB level.

There is a reason people like Scotty, raccpace, and willall, ask having exhaust that are reasonable quiet these days and still produce numbers

Edited by anon32

Who says it's about power? Most people get an exhaust for the sound

I guess each to their own, I would just throw those people in the same silly mind set of people who say "I just want cams so it sounds better" "which cam sounds good" and "I'm dropping my car as low as possible so it handles better"

Just my 2c

I think people just want to hear an engine at what they consider to be loud.

I like my exhaust and even if a quieter version offered more performance (it wouldn't) I wouldn't swap it out. It's bliss to my ears when it screams under bridges and in tunnels.

Been running varex on my cars for 8 years. Never had a problem. Best thing since sliced bread.

On my chubby with cams with big overlap and twin 2.5 inch it would kill the v8 burble where you would think it was a vk 202 vacuum cleaner.

Currently on my 33gtr -5s with biggish cams, straight through 3.5 inch mild steel and only the varex cannon. When it's closes quiet as a mouse. Been through many booze buses and not even an eyebrow raised.

When it's open there is zero back pressure and the turbos spool up faster than anything else you possible fabricate that would be close to legal. I have had 4 different combinations on my 33 and nothing even comes close to this varex set up.

Edited by XGTRX

My dual tip Varex is also effectively a straight through pipe when open...aside from the butterfly valve, which I doubt creates any serious turbulence

High flow cat is also incredibly highly flowed so it's really just the resonator that does any restricting of flow in the piping

My single tip 3.5 inch Varex used to flow really well, and I agree they are a good thing when they work to lower the exhaust volume, even though it sounds like you just shoved socks up your tailpipe.

Now the stupid valve is stuck shut causing lag, huge losses of power and it sounds like a bag of dicks vacuum cleaner on boost. I think I will just fix it properly by removing the pos.

I would buy a new one if the price was good, but the Australian distributor is a real rude karnt and is asking twice what they are worth.

• Like 1

lol yeah hitting boost with it shut sounds like a roar with extreme intake noise, but the smoke coming out of the exhaust shows just how much it throws off the tune...