SAU Community

Final Word On Hicas Delete

I've read conflicting information in regards to removing HICAS on an R33:

-Some say they removed the HICAS ECU and lost power steering.

-Some say they kept the ECU and lost variable-weight power steering.

-Some say they kept the ECU and retained variable steering weight.

I'm going to throw in a lock bar soon, but I want to make sure my steering (variable weight) stays the same.

Obviously I will keep the HICAS ECU and just de-pin the warning light.

So is it as simple as throwing in a lock bar and leaving the ECU plugged in?

i noticed below certain speed my steering wheels different to when it is above certain speeds.

one is firmer and tighter the other feels like theres no feedback and loose.

any suggestions what the issue could be?>

From what I gather, If I remove the HICAS ECU etc altogether...will I end up with single stage power steering and no speed assist? Or will I lose all power steering?

I've tried searching but nothing really matched what I was after, and didn't want to start a new topic yet. Car has already had all wiring removed, auto sparky was at my workshop today to get moving on the new loom.

Car is being fully rewired with basic loom and stand alone haltech, and have cusco drag rods in the back.

This is in a R33 BTW.

Edited by R31 drift pig
  • Like 1

Unplug, Remove, put a lock bar in. Simple.

I've already done this. There's no wiring at all in the car, drag links are in.

My question was pertaining to what happens to power assistance without any HICAS wiring/ECU/Anything, without making a new thread.

Question seemed relevant given the topic title.

There is a solenoid in the rack controlled by the HICAS ECU. Ive had power steering issues when me HICAS ECU played up. Replaced it and steering went back to how it should be.

I have a Lock bar and I just pulled the bulb out and have had no issues besides the one i mentioned above. But this could have happened with or without HICAS, its a 20 year old car, i expect these things

You dont want to lose the power steering assist from the HICAS ECU by just removing it. Its way to heavy at low speeds (parking etc)

There is a mod i think you can do where you remove the ECU and put 12v on one of the wires (which i assume goes to the rack solenoid) but you will just have full power steer assist this way

I think the obvious thing to do is to look into other Nissans of the same era that had variable speed power steer and no HICAS, and work out what little box of smarts was installed to do it. Grab one, wire it in in place of the HICAS CU, and enjoy all the benefits of installing the whole HICAS system in the skip, while still having nice PS. It can't be too hard.

By the same token, it's absolutely no trouble to keep the HICAS CU either. Let's face it. I did it 15 years ago and it's still sitting there under the parcel shelf, minding its own business, making my steering feel right and trying desperately to make the rear wheels move.

• Like 1

I've already done this. There's no wiring at all in the car, drag links are in.

My question was pertaining to what happens to power assistance without any HICAS wiring/ECU/Anything, without making a new thread.

Question seemed relevant given the topic title.

you will have permannent heavy steering because the solonoid on the rack has no voltage being applied to it so will put no preload on plunger in rack. Easiest solution is take out the solonoid in the rack and preload with 5cent coins until you have the feel you want in the steering. I use 2 5cent coins in my drift car and feel is good similar to what you would have if you were doing 100ks with ecu controlling it. So to adjust simply more shims make it lighter less shims heavier.

• Like 1

you will have permannent heavy steering because the solonoid on the rack has no voltage being applied to it so will put no preload on plunger in rack. Easiest solution is take out the solonoid in the rack and preload with 5cent coins until you have the feel you want in the steering. I use 2 5cent coins in my drift car and feel is good similar to what you would have if you were doing 100ks with ecu controlling it. So to adjust simply more shims make it lighter less shims heavier.

Awesome. Exactly what I was after!

Edited by R31 drift pig