SAU Community

I've Got A Dilemma!

Nod089

Hi All,

I've got a bit of a dilemma..

Looking at buying a 370GT from a wholesaler in Sydney.

Upon asking to see the export certificate and auction papers, I was given the original export certificate but was told that there weren't any auction papers because the car was purchased from a Japanese dealer as it was a trade-in.

Does this sound regular? Nothing out of the ordinary?

Appreciate your help :)

Plausible, not all cars sell at auction. I had a broker buy my Cima privately.

You can still order the de-reg papers if you want to check the KLM, and if you post the VIN I suspect someone would be able to check if it did go through an auction

• Like 1

Plausible, not all cars sell at auction. I had a broker buy my Cima privately.

You can still order the de-reg papers if you want to check the KLM, and if you post the VIN I suspect someone would be able to check if it did go through an auction

Fantastic!

Here's the info I have at hand if anyone can help me out:

post-140218-1433935186183_thumb.jpg post-140218-14339351986823_thumb.jpg

PM me for details of a Sydney Compliancer who can do these checks for you.

SAU.NSW Treasurer Fiji_Gold also has a car that was sold privately in Nara, Japan and was checked out by the same Compliancer.

• Like 1

PM me for details of a Sydney Compliancer who can do these checks for you.

SAU.NSW Treasurer Fiji_Gold also has a car that was sold privately in Nara, Japan and was checked out by the same Compliancer.

Thanks so much!

I can't wait to truly be part of this community!

• Like 1

And the dilemma continues!

The car sold before I got the chance to have a look.

The search continues though!

I've found another car.. The fellow selling appears genuine, but I'm concerned about the JOC check. He says that on the certificate, it doesn't show kilometres because it was so new before it was imported that it had never required a roadworthy certificate in Japan. It currently has 25,000 kilometres.

I've attached the PDF and would appreciate some input :)

Thanks so much!

https://www.pdfhost.net/index.php?Action=Download&File=d0139acd56e3de02061bea38273536fa

• Like 1

And the dilemma continues!

The car sold before I got the chance to have a look.

The search continues though!

I've found another car.. The fellow selling appears genuine, but I'm concerned about the JOC check. He says that on the certificate, it doesn't show kilometres because it was so new before it was imported that it had never required a roadworthy certificate in Japan. It currently has 25,000 kilometres.

I've attached the PDF and would appreciate some input :)

Thanks so much!

https://www.pdfhost.net/index.php?Action=Download&File=d0139acd56e3de02061bea38273536fa

Hey Nathan,

The first page looks nothing like a *GENUINE* Export \ De-registration Certificate and I've seen three originals first hand for the three different vehicles (from different auction houses and different districts in Japan) that I have personally imported myself over the past year.

My 2003 CV35 Skyline had under 30,000 Kms and had a genuine Export Certificate (photocopies should always show the word "COPY") and my 2001 GF50 Cima has under 20,000 Kms and also came with a genuine Export Certificate.

Have a look below at a copy of my V35's Export Certificate for more information -- This is what it SHOULD look like -- (I have omitted chassis number / kms / owner's details for privacy) - Buyer beware with this car you're looking at... I smell bullshit.

export-certificate.png

Edited by Sikahalv
  • Like 1

Hey Nathan,

The first page looks nothing like a *GENUINE* Export \ De-registration Certificate and I've seen three originals first hand for the three different vehicles (from different auction houses and different districts in Japan) that I have personally imported myself over the past year.

My 2003 CV35 Skyline had under 30,000 Kms and had a genuine Export Certificate (photocopies should always show the word "COPY") and my 2001 GF50 Cima has under 20,000 Kms and also came with a genuine Export Certificate.

Have a look below at a copy of my V35's Export Certificate for more information -- This is what it SHOULD look like -- (I have omitted chassis number / kms / owner's details for privacy) - Buyer beware with this car you're looking at... I smell bullshit.

There might still be bullshit going on with this car but that document isn't necessarily proof. It doesn't look like an EXPORT CERTIFICATE because it ISN'T one. It's a REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE not the DE-registration or export certificate. It's the document proving ownership of the vehicle and released by the local prefecture while the car is still in Japan, in this case Chiba. Once ready for export, the car should then get the actual export certificate in lieu of this document.

From that document it looks like this car was exported as soon as the first shaken (roadworthiness certification) expired after three years - the car was first registered in 2007 and then bought by the exporter in 2010 - right when the iinitial shaken was expiring. I think that's what the owner means by it not needing a roadworthiness certificate since the car was still on the initial certification as a new vehicle then exported before it had to renew (shaken's last for three years for a new car, then have to be renewed every two years).

That's pretty normal for Japan - people trade up to avoid the hassle and expense of a new shaken, that's why a lot of auctioned or for sale cars are selling at intervals of 3,5, and 7 years because it coincides with shaken renewal.

The big question though still is where is the actual EXPORT certificate? The car should have one if it was properly exported from Japan. I don't know your laws in Australia but here in the US our state motor vehicles department took mine when I got my Skyline registered so I don't have it anymore. I was smart enough to make a copy just in case though if I ever resell the car (which'll probably happen about the same time the nether realms have snowboarding competitions lol).

Of course, you also have to wonder about the low odometer reading in the first place. 25K since 2007 is hardly any mileage but not inconceivable if the car was babied. In that case the car should look pretty pristine.

I'd start by asking the current owner where the export cert is and go from there.

EDIT: Here's a link explaining the difference between the registration and de-registration/export certificates:

http://wavuti.weebly.com/news-blog/fraud-warnings-when-buying-a-car-online-point-three#axzz3dEePTntY

Edited by GSX-R35
  • Like 2

There might still be bullshit going on with this car but that document isn't necessarily proof. It doesn't look like an EXPORT CERTIFICATE because it ISN'T one. It's a REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE not the DE-registration or export certificate. It's the document proving ownership of the vehicle and released by the local prefecture while the car is still in Japan, in this case Chiba. Once ready for export, the car should then get the actual export certificate in lieu of this document.

From that document it looks like this car was exported as soon as the first shaken (roadworthiness certification) expired after three years - the car was first registered in 2007 and then bought by the exporter in 2010 - right when the iinitial shaken was expiring. I think that's what the owner means by it not needing a roadworthiness certificate since the car was still on the initial certification as a new vehicle then exported before it had to renew (shaken's last for three years for a new car, then have to be renewed every two years).

That's pretty normal for Japan - people trade up to avoid the hassle and expense of a new shaken, that's why a lot of auctioned or for sale cars are selling at intervals of 3,5, and 7 years because it coincides with shaken renewal.

The big question though still is where is the actual EXPORT certificate? The car should have one if it was properly exported from Japan. I don't know your laws in Australia but here in the US our state motor vehicles department took mine when I got my Skyline registered so I don't have it anymore. I was smart enough to make a copy just in case though if I ever resell the car (which'll probably happen about the same time the nether realms have snowboarding competitions lol).

Of course, you also have to wonder about the low odometer reading in the first place. 25K since 2007 is hardly any mileage but not inconceivable if the car was babied. In that case the car should look pretty pristine.

I'd start by asking the current owner where the export cert is and go from there.

EDIT: Here's a link explaining the difference between the registration and de-registration/export certificates:

http://wavuti.weebly.com/news-blog/fraud-warnings-when-buying-a-car-online-point-three#axzz3dEePTntY

Excellent info GSX-R35 and thanks for the clarification. I too want to know where the export certificate is, because DOTARS / Australian Govt. requires an export certificate for vehicle import approval.

Excellent info GSX-R35 and thanks for the clarification. I too want to know where the export certificate is, because DOTARS / Australian Govt. requires an export certificate for vehicle import approval.

Thanks GSX-R35! You sure know your stuff!

• Like 1

Thanks GSX-R35! You sure know your stuff!

I don't know nearly as much as some people - I just like to do a lot of research for my US GT-R blog lol. You're welcome and I hope the info helps you get your car!

• Like 4

So it was literally at the dealership.

He went to pick it up yesterday.

Will post when I get it (a photo of the original), but in the meantime, here is a copy of it.

vsyt7we6yrf383uz3ox.jpg
  • Like 1

So it was literally at the dealership.

He went to pick it up yesterday.

Will post when I get it (a photo of the original), but in the meantime, here is a copy of it.

vsyt7we6yrf383uz3ox.jpg

That's what I was hoping for... Just waiting on a clearer image now...

• 2 weeks later...