SAU Community

Using Trickle Chargers

djvoodoo

I don't think this topic has been discussed much at all on SAU.

I know a few people on SAU use trickle chargers. This will be a first for me.

I bought myself a Trickle charger from Jaycar, but have been given advice that I need to disconnect the battery from the car so that I don't ruin the Alternator or other electronics if there is a current surge from 240V.

A few questions I have.

1. Owning an R34 GTR, where the battery in the boot, it's not very well ventilated. Are people removing their batteries from the car? Kind of defeats the purpose of a quick solution.

2. The car only gets taken out on weekends. Am i better off simply disconnecting the -ve terminal for the week? Have i wasted my $$$ on the charger?

What other tips do people have when using a Trickle charger?

I do this,

Disconnect +Ve side on the battery and leave it. It has been fine for me for up 6 months.

When I come back from lengthy times away, I put the car on the trickle over night and that is perfect.

With the +ve side disconnected instead of the -ve I don't see how there can be a problem with sending a surge through the car....

Given that there is a 20:1 step-down in the charger (240V input, 12V or so output) there would need to be a huge input voltage surge to damage any car electronics. Do you have a surge arrester in your meter box - a big enough surge to damage anything in the car will also take out most of your house electronics.

I use a 1 amp trickle charger on a motorbike, but I run it off a timer so it's only on for an hour each day. This helps prevent over-charging the battery. Have done this for many years and battery life has been great.

My experience is using a Trickle charger is fine.

In my case If I disconnect the battery the mongoose alarm goes off.

So I leave both terminals connected while charging.

Generally only connect it up if I'm leaving the GTR in situ for over a few weeks.

Given that there is a 20:1 step-down in the charger (240V input, 12V or so output) there would need to be a huge input voltage surge to damage any car electronics. Do you have a surge arrester in your meter box - a big enough surge to damage anything in the car will also take out most of your house electronics.

I use a 1 amp trickle charger on a motorbike, but I run it off a timer so it's only on for an hour each day. This helps prevent over-charging the battery. Have done this for many years and battery life has been great.

Having it on a timer is a brilliant idea. Might give that a go. The charger i got is:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/PRODUCTS/Power-Products-Electrical/Charging/SLA-GEL-Chargers/6V-%26-12V-Heavy-Duty-8A-Car-Battery-Charger-with-Trickle-Charge/p/MB3522

I guess my main issue is that the car is kept in a downstairs garage (unit block) and I don't want to come home to an inferno. I understand that most batteries when on charge can emit gasses, which could cause a fire.

If anyone has seen the battery location on a 34R, it's an enclosed, tight space with a tonne of carpet surrounding metal

Lol. I'm sure everyone on here knows where the battery is. It's not like 33's are any different.

Besides, any good trickle charger won't cook your battery. And if you are so concerned about then remove it from the car.

The whole idea of trickle charging is to leave the charger on the battery constantly. I don't like charging at high voltage/current with the battery connected in the car, but trickle charging should be fine.

Have used a Jaycar trickle charger on my R33 GTR for the past 8 years. I come in, open the boot, plug it in and walk away. When I want to use the car I'll unplug it and drive off. Never an issue.

I guess my main issue is that the car is kept in a downstairs garage (unit block) and I don't want to come home to an inferno. I understand that most batteries when on charge can emit gasses, which could cause a fire.

When you are driving the car the alternator is charging the battery, so there should be no difference really

The BNR34 has charging terminals in the front under the fuse box.

The main possible problem is reversing polarity (by accident).

If you're so concerned about surges from lightning strikes just put a surge protector between the trickle charger and the power point the same way you protect your computer.

The BNR34 has charging terminals in the front under the fuse box.

The main possible problem is reversing polarity (by accident).

If you're so concerned about surges from lightning strikes just put a surge protector between the trickle charger and the power point the same way you protect your computer.

Learn something new everyday. Did not know that. Makes it a hell of a lot easier if this is the case

• Like 1

Learn something new everyday. Did not know that. Makes it a hell of a lot easier if this is the case

Lol, look at the fuse box and you will see a (+) and a (-) each next to a metal tab. Surely you didnt think that if you wanted to jump start your car that they would make you do it in the boot...

Lol, look at the fuse box and you will see a (+) and a (-) each next to a metal tab. Surely you didnt think that if you wanted to jump start your car that they would make you do it in the boot...

ok ok, geez, chill out man.