SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

Apparently the RB hypergear turbos are sorted... They reckon the VQ needs more research.

Seems to be any setup that deviates from what they were designed on has some probs. Noticed it a lot when Tao was putting his Turbos onto the SR20 when he had the S14, things that worked fine in one setup just did not work at all on other setups, even his own cars.

Not really surprising that others have issues when their setups are different. (like my RB28 :P)

For a hiflow on a RB you can't really go wrong with HG though. Then again, are there real options besides GCG for that kind of thing?

The only thing that ever bothered me about Tao's power claims, without triggering a hub/wheel shitstorm, is that he found a happy dyno in Trent's hub dyno, which has allowed him to make such claims that no one else around the country could replicate at their own tuner...unless they went to Trent.

No turbos produce that much power with that response on a 2.5. I believed the response was possible (though some argued about different ramp rates etc.), but the power figures for such responsive turbos had to be called into question.

But customers are also dicks, having an exact power figure in mind that they want to achieve, because they like the sound of the number and have no measurable need for that much power, but are scared their dick will look small if they didn't get the omg300kw matched up to federal 595s that made them slower off the line than a stock Skyline.

When I bought mine I didn't care too much about power numbers, just wanted a responsive turbo that has more grunt than the factory one and I got it; that's probably why I'm happy with mine. All these idiots bought G3 turbos that come on song at 4500rpm and make 300+, nek minut they were in the for sale section. Best advice I got was from some guy selling a high flow who had "upgraded" to a 3076 and said he wished he kept his high flow on there cause it was more fun than his current setup. Listened and here I am! Plus I drove Tao's car with 320rwkw and all it wanted to do was eat the curb at 4500-5000rpm...waste of power.

happy dyno

Strange, the people I've seen get tunes on that dyno, and Racepace dyno, and Springy Motors dyno, were all within ~1kw of one another.

all it wanted to do was eat the curb at 4500-5000rpm...waste of power.

People need to setup their engines to the maximum tractive effort supported by their tyres. Anything else is slower unless you're on the track and frequently 80-200+ kmh which is the only time you will start clawing back the car lengths you lost to the guy who makes 270rwkw when you make 500rwkw.

The limit of current road tyres on the back of your average JDM car is about 280rwkw anyway. Wanting that extra ~10kw is just dumb. Every time I drive anything else and I can just floor it in the hills and have fun in it I have ragrets. I had more fun hooting around in a MX5 on BC's and tyres with the roof off in a sunny day with a pretty girl than I reckon I've ever had in a 400+rwkw R34.

Hence a lot of people don't get the appeal of an 86 until they drive one. It's a car you can thrash with little consequence that doesn't lose much speed in the corners, even on factory tyres.

thats just like saying buy a shitty ninja 250 road bike and enjoy it through the corners, not a 600 or 1000 :P

strongly disagree! still fun but 600s or higher are more fun :D

Edited by UNR33L

The only thing that ever bothered me about Tao's power claims, without triggering a hub/wheel shitstorm, is that he found a happy dyno in Trent's hub dyno, which has allowed him to make such claims that no one else around the country could replicate at their own tuner...unless they went to Trent.

No turbos produce that much power with that response on a 2.5. I believed the response was possible (though some argued about different ramp rates etc.), but the power figures for such responsive turbos had to be called into question.

But customers are also dicks, having an exact power figure in mind that they want to achieve, because they like the sound of the number and have no measurable need for that much power, but are scared their dick will look small if they didn't get the omg300kw matched up to federal 595s that made them slower off the line than a stock Skyline.

When I bought mine I didn't care too much about power numbers, just wanted a responsive turbo that has more grunt than the factory one and I got it; that's probably why I'm happy with mine. All these idiots bought G3 turbos that come on song at 4500rpm and make 300+, nek minut they were in the for sale section. Best advice I got was from some guy selling a high flow who had "upgraded" to a 3076 and said he wished he kept his high flow on there cause it was more fun than his current setup. Listened and here I am! Plus I drove Tao's car with 320rwkw and all it wanted to do was eat the curb at 4500-5000rpm...waste of power.

My car made as much power as any his highflows and was more responsive. It's completely possible.

Where Tao's claims deviate is the non stock manifold he uses and the timing/boost he demands is poured in.

thats just like saying buy a shitty ninja 250 road bike and enjoy it through the corners, not a 600 or 1000 :P

strongly disagree! still fun but 600s or higher are more fun :D

Yeah but you can have fun with a 250 in the corners...look at the dream boats doing crazy laptimes around PI with a 250...granted race bikes but still. They are nimble as fark.