SAU Community

Costing And Finding Parts For R34 Sedan

kresot9

hey all

I have just gotten my car back from being serviced and asked for a list of things that required to be looked at or fixed eventually to prevent any further damage and so here it is

• Radiator replaced / $556
  • replace thrust bearing (since taking clutch out we assumed to you might as well buy a new clutch while you are at it) two clutch kits one is $804 other $1500
  • front strut bar bushes / $245
  • rocker cover gasket, also suggesting to replace spark plugs while at it / $415
  • front and rear struts / $1695

The prices are what they gave me for the cost of the parts not including labour, i am certainly sure i can get majority of the parts cheaper although it will come down to where and what preferred part am i needing to get. I drive a R34 Sedan RB25DE NEO, any help that could suggest how i can go on with getting these parts and purchasing them.

Thanks

Pretty much standard prices for workshop parts. Tidy little profit maker for the owner of the shop.

Most 90s imports owners are tight and know what parts are worth due to never ending hunt for bits that repco and supercheap will never stock.

• Like 1

Walk away from that quote. $245 for 1 set of bushes? Keep in mind bushes are labour intensive so factor in plenty more for labour. It sounds like they want to replace the whole suspension strut assemblies to save on their own labour time. Rocker cover gasket + spark plugs will cost you $150 in parts tops. Say no more.

If you can't do the labour for the bushing yourself, spend a bit more on a good aftermarket item with the bushing already in there.

How confident are you at DIY?

• Like 1

well at most with everything i have done to the car previously i have always saved a lot more money finding my own parts and and even if i can do it my self saves money.

@zoomzoom - i am so so with DIY if i know what i need to do then im good but for something like bushes i have never looked at or might not have the correct tools for me to do them also, at most the best is knowing where i can get decent prices for the parts

well at most with everything i have done to the car previously i have always saved a lot more money finding my own parts and and even if i can do it my self saves money.

@zoomzoom - i am so so with DIY if i know what i need to do then im good but for something like bushes i have never looked at or might not have the correct tools for me to do them also, at most the best is knowing where i can get decent prices for the parts

Ive done nearly every bushing. They suck. But since youre doing the strut bushes (castor bushes?) they arent too bad, but you will need access to at least a 5 ton press, plus lots of bits of metal pipe to press the old bush out. Hence why I suggest aftermarket arms. Saves doing the bush, plus it will be adjustable.

Rocker gasket plus spark plugs are an easy DIY job.

Shocks are more involved. I assume you'll be buying struts which means you'll have to compress the springs safely to take apart the whole assembly.

Compressed springs are dangerous if not done safely, but I actually prefer to do them myself. If you do take them apart, make sure to install a good new dust boot (I installed a dirt bike boot), and probably replace the bushing on top of the strut mount plate (and possibly the one underneath).

Rattle gun to undo struts. Spring compressor not required for disassembly, just for reassembly, and then not always.

Like a jack in the box it just pops off when you get to the end. Seriously I rather that way, I have spring compressors and they seem more dodgy for disassembly

Radiator replaced / $556

- No way, what is it a jap branded one which was express posted to you? even then it wouldn't be that expensive

replace thrust bearing (since taking clutch out we assumed to you might as well buy a new clutch while you are at it) two clutch kits one is $804 other $1500

- Clutches can be expensive yes, but for an NA RB25 i honestly doubt you need more than an oem replacement, or maybe an excedy HD which is like $400 max, the labour is the killer on a clutch, not the clutch itself

front strut bar bushes / $245

- Bushes are labour intensive but usually only cost like $50 MAX for a set of bushes, what do you mean by strut bar bushes anyway? sway bar bushes? castor rod bushes? even for both of what i've mentioned you could buy new bushes and put them in yourself for under $100

rocker cover gasket, also suggesting to replace spark plugs while at it / $415

- Absolutely ridiculous

front and rear struts / $1695

- Most probably not required, buy a whole set (front and rear) of MCA blue coilovers for that money and replace all 4

IMHO, Find another mechanic.. I understand they need to make money but $400 for rocker cover gaskets and spark plugs is absolutely ridiculous, half of the jobs here are relatively easy and with a bit of forum reading here on SAU you could tackle these jobs with the right tools, just read the DIY section, it's fantastic

Also, http://www.kudosmotorsports.com/

• Like 1