SAU Community

Manual S1 Ecu Options

verm69

Ok, so I've searched heaps and found heaps, but its all from 3-4 years ago and there are a lot of conflicting answers on this topic

I've read that a R34 GTT PowerFC will plug into SOME S1 Stagea looms and after the "Secret Squirrel pin51 mod" they run no problems, but there are issues with AC. Has anyone done this?

I've also read that the R34 stock ECU's will plug in, but there is't much info on this, and its confusing as hell. One post will say it can be done, and the next will say it can't.

There are a lot of conflicting answers about what us poor poor S1 Stagea owners can do ECU wise, so what has everyone done? Manual conversion or auto trans... can someone give me a definitive answer?

I'm asking because I have a S1 Manual Converted stagea and am having issues where under full gas it kind of splutters? Like the throttle closes by itself... its weird... I've done the coilpack tape trick, but this hasn't really helped, so i'm looking to fit a bigger fuel pump, then if that doens't fix it, i'll be upgrading the ECU, but there are heaps of conflicting opinions on what S1 owners can do. Alot of it seems to be for Auto S1's, but i mine's been converted to manual, so i'm not sure what to use! Any help will be great... but I just want a definitive answer!

Manual S1 you can install pretty much any ecu you like. I only have personal experience with the Link but there are plenty of options. You are possibly suffering R&R if you have made some mods such as increasing boost.

you need to fix the issue first before creating more problems for yourself.

When did the spluttering start? have you checked the tps voltages? Afm? Checked the grounds and wiring attributed to the manual conversion? You didnt say anything about plugs?

You need to check what ecu you have first and find the pinouts, then cross reference to the 34 and s2 stagea as they have the same exu plug, for easy plug and play. otherwise you can use almost any aftermarket ecu as a wire in.

Yeah, i've been trying to fix the issue with an ECU change as last option. I've cleaned the MAF, Put new plugs pages to .8 in, did the coil tape up as mentioned (the coils where def arking out, they had carbon marks and everything).

It all kind of started when i put the boost controler and put the boost up to 10psi, so I'm running 7psi right now and its not as bad (i'm guessing it was R&R), but its gutless and still kind of stalls out on full noise. It seems to be a pretty common problem where if I accelerate at half throttle the car pulls pretty well all through the revs, if I give it full power it is guttless and its like the trottle closes even though I'm stomping on it... I'll have my foot down and around the 4500rpm its like the throttle closes, gives the comprssor surge flutter and everything! frustrating as hell

I haven't checked the TPS or AFM yet, but they'll be on my list after the fuel pump... Its pretty frustrating! I'm finding the RB25 to be full of pitfalls compared the the SR20. I've read another post where a guy was having the exact same issue and it turned out to be his ECU and a boost/vacuume leak, so i'm guessing mine is the same... actually heres the video of the issue the guy posted

mine is very similar

I think the R34 GTST ecu may well work. I don't have the receipt anymore but I think my Link was a GTST plug in. The pinouts for the R34DET and the STagea S1 are virtually the same. I can send them or post them up if you need them.

And pressure test your system for leaks.

Update! Made a pressure testing... device? Used a 3.5" pipe with thread and cap, a peice of step down pipe so it will fit almost anything (3.5", 3", 2.5" and 1.5") and a Tyre valve from supercheap... Glued the step down to the 3.5" pipe, and used thread tape for the cap. Drilled a hole just smaller than the thick part of the valve and sqeeeeezed it in. Will give the stag a pressure test either tonight or this sat

96WsCjw.jpg

Edited by verm69
  • Like 1

Update! Made a pressure testing... device? Used a 3.5" pipe with thread and cap, a peice of step down pipe so it will fit almost anything (3.5", 3", 2.5" and 1.5") and a Tyre valve from supercheap... Glued the step down to the 3.5" pipe, and used thread tape for the cap. Drilled a hole just smaller than the thick part of the valve and sqeeeeezed it in. Will give the stag a pressure test either tonight or this sat

96WsCjw.jpgN

Love DIY, nice one! I like the stepping idea for different sized hose. Here's one I knocked up for my Datto (not pretty but does the job).

post-135423-0-62660800-1443083187_thumb.jpg

That's one is pro! I don't have a welder so I can't make anything out of metal, and the wife has me on a budget... had to go the PVC pipe hahahaha!

So put my ghetto compression tester on and found a gaping hole in my intercooler piping where the bracket that mounts to the side of the engine is welded on! It was leaking so much I'm surprised it was making ANY boost! Its cracked the pipe on the bottom of the bracket, and has a small hole/crack on the top as well so shouldn't take too much to weld up... hopefully it'll only cost me like $10, then I'll give it another test!

• Like 1

Took my pipe to a welder who closed the hole for $10. Put it back on with some rubber washer things on the mounting bracket to stop it happening again and boost leak fixed! I'll be giving it a test again tomorrow to see if it has more, but i'm pretty confident that's my issue!

Found a HUGE hole in my intercooler piping where it looked like it was cut with a grinder! But i got it and about 4 other spots that were thinning out welded up... Now it pulls like a champ! But i'm now having issues with overboost (running a turbosmart eBoost Street)!

Back to the whole ECU question, does anyone have the pinout of the S1 Stagea ECU? Or know how to identify what computer you have (i've read that there are about 3 the S1 stageas run)? Want to compare the pinout to a R33 GTST pinout. I'm very very keen to run a Nistune

Pic of the hole for reference... I'll get a pic it welded up pipe at some stage

Still need to run another boost leak check just in case, but seems to be running much better

post-65806-0-58372100-1443585241_thumb.jpg

Edited by verm69