SAU Community

Help Me Choose A Daily.

Hey guys,

So here is my dilemma.

I have had 2 manual pulsars over the past 9 years. But it's time to go for a different daily.

I love my pulsars. But I can't get one for under 8k with anything under 180,000k's on the clock. (This is looking at the autos)

It has to be auto for the missus. I've taught her to drive manual but she is stuck in her ways and let's be honest she will probably bunny hop into another car.

Any way. My criteria.

I need reliability

Needs to be auto

Economical (1.6l/1.8/)

Hatch/sedan

Around 100,000k's is fine

$8k max

What I've looked at so far.

Subies (they suck fuel)

Vw golfs mk4 (gearboxes are shit in the 1.6)

Other pulsars (I don't want a n16)

Hondas (big motors and exxy)

Toyotas (I don't want a jazz or echo that gay)

Any help is much appreciated.

try out a TS Astra. I hate the one at my place, but im pretty sure its a lemon. lots of people like them though. dirt cheap and pretty standard euro econobox. plenty of info and DIYs online. just not much fun to work on in the driveway. i have gotten 600kms out of a tank with the auto 1.8

otherwise theres Mazda 323, ford focus etc.

Come now. Take your pride elsewhere. My mate loves subies he's had 3, they are not as efficient as other 2wd equivalents.

im getting 10.8/100 out of my wrx and I only drive 5kms each way to work

Don't get an Astra.

My Liberty (turbo) averages 10.2L/100km (according to trip meter), my manual N16 was averaging 7.5L/100km.

My cousin's GH Impreza hatch (2L auto) does about 8L/100km I think if he's not thrashing it. Well one day he came to my house and his trip meter showed 14L/100km, another time it showed 7.8L/100km lol.

• Like 1

camry hybrid? bit more exxy at $10k lowest currently ~2010 but given your going 100km/day, fuel costs might catchup to the initial money on the car?

my gtr is my daily lol (20km return from work) and hybrid is for everything else...especially the missus who doesnt want to learn manual...

Jazz imho. Unbreakable things, big inside and small outside. Mate has auto yellow one for his mrs. (Research every car imo)

My daily is 96 C200 that I get 9-10L/100km but 240kms and still drives like a new car.. Kms mean f**kall if cars been looked after :)

Here's one owner top spec but slightly higher kms

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/beverly-hills/cars-vans-utes/2009-honda-jazz-vti-s-hatchback-1-owner-1-5l-vtec-/1090897059

Lower km, azn spec
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/belmore/cars-vans-utes/2009-honda-jazz-hatchback/1088652539