SAU Community

M35 Auto Trans Problem

sav man

I recenty had a small fire which burnt a section of the gearbox loom. I've replaced the wires in the melted section and the car starts and runs (no trigger errors). But the manual mode on the gear box won't work and when it changes gears it feels like there is no ignition retard, so it tries to chirp every gear.

I'm assuming the CAN wires aren't fixed properly. Where do all the wires from the gearbox originate from? Is there a pinout diagram for the 3 gearbox plugs. It would make testing the wires much easier if I know the location of the other end.

Yep, the box is in limp mode, no CAN signal so the TPS and AFM signals aren't getting through to the trans ecu in the kick panel. Perhaps the fire shorted the ecu out?

The wiring should be similar to early V35's if that helps, I will try and search for something specific when I get a chance.

I'm thinking that's probably the case. All the wires to the gearbox were melted together (drivers side just under the exhaust), so I would expect that something would have had to give and I didn't find any blown fuses.

Can I just replace the trans ecu? or does it need to be paired to the box?

I checked fuses in kick panel (found some wonderful Japanese wiring in there) and in front of the battery. Are there more behind the battery?

I recon I will need one.

Yeh Ben, pull the battery out and have a look under the upside down cup, it holds the IPDM module, all the power relays and about 20 fuses. That's where I would suspect the blown fuse would be anyway, the inside fusebox is only for body control.

I tested all the fuses, and they were fine. I've pulled the trans ecu out and I can't see any burn marks. But it could still be damaged. The starter was stuck on when the fire happend, so would would think the current would have been going through the trans ecu