SAU Community

Skyline R33 - N/a To Turbo Conversion!

Hi guys, first of all I'd like to start of by saying that I 100% do NOT want to sell my car and 'just buy a gts-t'.

At the time, due to P plate laws I couldn't buy a gts-t so I bought a R33 GTS - 1993 - Series 1.

I've already spent about $1000 doing oil changes, filters, spark plugs and just cleaning the car up, this includes little dings and scratches plus interior and exterior mods etc.

So, my question is, is it really THAT pricey to do a de+t conversion? I've read forums which said they are and others say they're not. I'm not looking to get CRAZY power, just something a little more than what I have.

What parts will I need and roughly how much would it cost for parts + labour?

ALSO I've seen people link the eBay turbo kits which are just bolt on I believe... Sounds hard to believe but surely you can't just bolt on a turbo for $300 without something else blowing up, right?

Any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

post-140618-14443696255369_thumb.jpgpost-140618-14443696461528_thumb.jpg

That turbo is utter trash. You have a high comp engine, with a turbo of that size, you will probably blow your engine. Being a high comp engine, you want to run less boost. If you don't want to sell your car and get a GTST, then upgrade your brakes and drop a det motor in the car.

And for the love of skylines, DO NOT use a trash eBay turbo. If you're gonna do it, do it properly.

Compression ratio should be fine. Plenty of motors now with 10:1 - 10.5:1, you wont be able to run as much boost, though as you say you only want a little more power. It will still make an easy and safe 200rwkw anyway.

You will need

- R33 gtst brakes calipers + rotors

- Clutch? possibly

- LSD if yours doesn't have one.

- DET injectors

- DET ecu

- DET AFM

- Stock turbo to start with

- water and oil feed lines

- Dump pipe and exhaust

- FMIC

- Fuel pump

Much much much much easier just to sell and buy a GTS-t, stock r33s are worth not much at all these days. You can even find ones with 250rwkw for much cheaper than it would cost to mod yourself. I have to say this even though you don't want to hear it (I understand you love your car) because it is common sense, and I have no emotional attachment to your car or $1000 service/maintenance cost you just paid. So we can give unbiased advice.

A turbo the size you posted needs a lot of supporting mods.

Anyway, good luck and stay the hell away from that ebay turbo.

Compression ratio should be fine. Plenty of motors now with 10:1 - 10.5:1, you wont be able to run as much boost, though as you say you only want a little more power. It will still make an easy and safe 200rwkw anyway.

You will need

- R33 gtst brakes calipers + rotors

- Clutch? possibly

- LSD if yours doesn't have one.

- DET injectors

- DET ecu

- DET AFM

- Stock turbo to start with

- water and oil feed lines

- Dump pipe and exhaust

- FMIC

- Fuel pump

Much much much much easier just to sell and buy a GTS-t, stock r33s are worth not much at all these days. You can even find ones with 250rwkw for much cheaper than it would cost to mod yourself. I have to say this even though you don't want to hear it (I understand you love your car) because it is common sense, and I have no emotional attachment to your car or $1000 service/maintenance cost you just paid. So we can give unbiased advice.

A turbo the size you posted needs a lot of supporting mods.

Anyway, good luck and stay the hell away from that ebay turbo.

Thank you very much for all that information man, I really appreciate it! Looks like selling and buying a turboed one is going to be much easier! Cheers