SAU Community

Fallout 4

Anfanee

Peoples thoughts?

I have always gotten really bored with the previous titles. Bethesda always seem to fk something up royally.

I put about 6 hours into fallout 4 so far. It's an improvement so far. Couple of niggling things about it but overall it is an improvement.

ive been keeping an eye on reviews and watched someone play it for a while.

not enough has changed to bring me back.

I enjoyed Fallout 3 (played it on PS3, then got PC and modded it). Earlier this year i played a lot of New Vegas. overall im pretty over it. its the same enemies, same weapons, same themes, same choices, same side quests, same NPC's.

But what annoys me the most is the same shitty inventory system and colour scheme. Pip boy colour = every GUI colour.

Waiting for my copy in the mail. Big fan of 3 and NV so looking forward to playing the new one on PS4.

I have the older games on PC and PS3 but prefer to play on PS3, even though the graphics are way better on PC. Better to sit on the couch in front of a big TV and the PS controller is pretty well suited to the gameplay. Not as accurate as the mouse but suits me fine

Edited by junkie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll buy it when it hits the bargain bins later on, I no longer get hyped up on any triple a titles these days.

Instead I'm looking forward to see if taletells would release a season 3 of the walking dead game.

That would be because they are all rehashes of rehashed titles that sold well.

*sigh*

Been playing for a bit, some random thoughts so far...

Doesn't feel like the older 3/NV games. Many things have been simplified or removed, like speech, equipment repair, some crafting, speech or intelligence checks

Enemy markers dont show up until youre discovered, sucks for stealth play, hard to pick out enemies with a sniper rifle from a distance

Environment looks nice, but doesnt quite match that steampunk 50's feel of 3 and NV. Weird mix of old and new, almost forced in a way

Radio station kinda sucks. DJ is some nervous dork, got nothing on Three Dog or Mr New Vegas

New HUD is a bit meh

New ghouls, meh as well, just behave like average zombies from an average zombie movie. Old ghouls were way more fun and actually looked more detailed. Now theyre just grey blobs with yellow eyes. Non ferals look like mix of human and Mothership Zeta aliens

Pipboy a bit of a downgrade too

• 2 weeks later...

I've put 30 odd hours into Fallout 4 thus far - Having never played the others I'm quite enjoying it as a good time filler. Certainly haven't lost interested in it as fast as I did with Witcher 3.

After about the 15 hour mark I realised if I had my time again I'd do one major thing different, biggest tip would be the Idiot Savant perk, get the first 2 levels of that out as fast as you can and keep intelligence low (lvl 4 max, for hacking) till lvl 25 ish and then bang heaps into it fast to get the gains from it - put whatever other points into things that you wanna head down.

If I doing it that way speeds things up massively once the exp starts rolling @ 3x and then 5x as you can get to hacking/cracking safes relatively quickly. I didn't get the Idiot perks till around lvl 15 after I realised and from then on it made the game go along a lost faster IMO. Unlocking points fast and quick.

Detailed info on it here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3siw35/i_tested_intelligence_idiot_savant_and_experience/

I recommend playing 3 and New Vegas, can always buy GOTY editions cheap on steam, i bought them for around $15 some time ago. GOTY editions have all the DLC (4 per game) that expend both games heaps

So I rebuilt my gaming box and decided to start again going idiot maxed early. Keeping lvl 1 INT the whole time.

I'm lvl 11 already after only a few hours of playing. Makes suuuuch a difference to levelling speed. I'm also putting early points into STR and added weight so I don't have to keep running back to Sanctuary after every mission to unload weapons and shit. Making the game far more enjoyable for me and moving at a much faster pace.

Only issue is lock picking/hacking terminals, kinda stuffed on occasions there as I've put little points into PER and zero into INT for now - more so on terminals it's a bit of a PIA and most of the safes are just basic loot. Once I hit ~lvl 20 I'll pile points into INT given you cant get lvl 3 hacker till lvl 21 anyway (and then do science/scrapper same time). Then go back and sort all the important stuff out that I couldn't, not that there is much by that point if I keep ramping up the levels as fast as I am now :D