SAU Community

Oil Cooler Recommendations For R34 Gtt?

Hi all, I am looking for some recommendations for a good oil cooler kit for an R34 GTT with RB25DET Neo.

Probably something similar to the Trust/Greddy kit shown here: http://er34.blogspot.com.au/2007/03/trustgreddy-oil-cooler-kit-installed.html

Here's what I think I need:

• Full kit with a decent size core
  • Good quality lines and fittings (JIC or similar)
  • With thermostat as the car is both street and track
  • Sandwich plate with spots for oil temp and pressure sensor too
  • Prefer oil filter in original location if possible
  • Prefer not having to bleed cooler separately when changing oil

I was originally thinking of maybe reusing my Davies Craig 678 trans cooler (it's a big 4WD unit) as an oil cooler now that the auto box is gone, however I'm not sure about the clamped fittings...?

9871850506_48e9a33e89_z.jpg

I have also been looking into this and want to retain the original filter position. Greddy thermostatic non relocation sandwich plates with sensor bungs are available for 190 + post through garage 7. I was thinking of sourcing a half decent core and mounting it, making some dummy hoses with old garden hose and then get a hydraulics place to make up proper hose and fittings in the correct size. My 2 cents. I'm sure others will chime in with their setups.

• Like 1

I've run a justjap kit for years. No doubt a $1000 kit might perform better, but for $350 the justjap kit works well.

If you do get the justjap kit, Teflon tape all the fittings.

Thanks mate, is it one of these ones: http://justjap.com/cooling-pro-19-row-oil-cooler-relocation-kit.html

With the relocator does it still take standard oil filter?

Also I wonder how one might hook up the Defi sensors into that setup?

That kit will relocate the oil filter

this is what admS15 was referring to: http://www.garage7.com.au/home/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1371&category_id=102&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

but isn't a full kit so you could use your trans cooler as mentioned

That kit will relocate the oil filter

this is what admS15 was referring to: http://www.garage7.com.au/home/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1371&category_id=102&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

but isn't a full kit so you could use your trans cooler as mentioned

Oh ok cheers, so a sandwich plate, would need lines still.

I've already got a billet sandwich plate for sensors but I don't think I can reuse that for the oil cooler, will check.

Also a bit hesitant with the trans cooler as oil pressure can be up to 6bar or something, so really don't want a fitting to let go as it'll probably kill the engine...

You could probably use the billet sandwich plate if you wanted, but then you would also need an external thermostat, which would then also require more lines and fittings.

The sensor holes in the sandwich plate may not be big enough though??

EDIT: come to think of it, the flow direction may not be right?? i'm thinking it would bypass the filter and/or result in a continuous loop from the filter to the cooler and nothing else??

For higher-end coolers, I really like Setrab. http://www.setrab.com/

Not the cheapest and shipping from the US. But comes with adapter fittings for whatever connections you want to run.

If you want to save some money (and maybe even time), make up your own lines and fittings. Free speedflow catalog comes with instructions, all you need is an angle grinder, some spanners and a vice, really.

Speedflow is well worth the extra price compared to something like aeroflow.

If you're fitting a sandwich plate + cooler, might as well relocate the oil filter. Not sure what access is like with the RB, but makes life easier changing filters and mounting sensors.

• Like 1

Hey, i looked in to buying a kit but struggled.

i ended up just buying a oil cooler and sandwhich plate similar to this link

www.staparts.co.nz/View-A-Product?id=4875&Productid=Oil%20cooler%20kit%20black%2010%20row%20-10AN%20fittings%202%20x%201600mm%20length

I mounted my sandwhich plate directly over the factory oil warmer/ cooler, filter basically stays in the same spot, just sits out a couple inches more which is no hassle.

Mounted the cooler where yours is. grabbed some old shitty hose and bent them into the path i wanted just for a mock up. the ordered the fittings and hose etc

Mount your cooler and sandwhich plate first, then its all striaght foward from there.

Edited by Kiwi r32
  • Like 1

I ended up buying a kit today. Vulture Motorsport eBay spec kit with relocator but no thermostat. Very similar to just jap kit. On clearance at the moment for 204 for 15 row or 194 for 10 row. I went with 15. Quality looks reasonable. I'll throw it on as is and if oil temps are too low for normal driving I'll try covering the cooler or just get the greddy tstat. Hopefully will fit it soon. I'll keep you posted.

• Like 1

Cheers for the replies guys, sounds like it's easier said than done.

PWR cores look good but no kits: https://www.pwr.com.au/products/oilcoolers/37mm-engine-oil-coolers

I did my manual conversion hunting bits all over the shop, bit of a pain, so a complete kit would be preferred :)

I'll have a proper look around and see what I can find, will post back.

Ok so I ended up buying a Driftworks oil cooler kit off another SAU member, it turned up for sale just at the right time:

23348417623_cb3b0c2622.jpg

It's this kit kit here http://www.driftworks.com/thermostatic-oil-cooler-kit-for-all-engines.html and comes with:

• Mocal 19 Row Oil Cooler
  • Mocal 92 Degree Thermostatic Sandwich plate
  • Braided oil cooler hoses
  • Thermostatic Sandwich Plate Fittings

The only downside is that the sandwich plate doesn't have spots for the sensors, so the plan is to run this over my existing sandwich plate.

Apparently this should work ok: http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/402155-using-two-oil-sandwich-plates/

I am planning on mounting the core where the auto trans cooler is currently:

9871850506_48e9a33e89_z.jpg

Hopefully there's enough clearance as the Mocal core is a lot thicker:

• Davies Craig 678 core: 281 x 213 x 20 mm
  • Mocal core: 330 x 147 x 51 mm
Here's how the Davies Craig one sits:

9871953083_26560f6e18_z.jpg

Here's my original auto trans cooler install thread: http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/165605-auto-trans-cooler-upgrade/page-2

I've found some good info here for the oil cooler installation: http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/79130-r33-oil-cooler-installation/page-6

Edited by V28VX37

Good to see you found something!

Doesn't look like you have much room to work with though!

Goodluck!

Cheers mate. I'm pretty sure it'll fit, there's quite a bit of space behind the current trans cooler, will need some custom brackets though. I'll post up some pics when it's done.

Ok this might be a silly question but which way around should the hoses go?

I.e. when the sandwich plate is mounted on the right hand side of the engine and the connections are facing the front of the car, should the top one run to the top of cooler core?

Sandwich plate:

oil_cooler_parts_13.jpg

Oil cooler core:

DIY-Oil-Cooler-03.jpg

^^^ Btw the above photo is from this excellent write-up: http://www.trak-life.com/diy-r33-skyline-oil-cooler-with-thermostat/

• 2 weeks later...

Ok this might be a silly question but which way around should the hoses go?

I.e. when the sandwich plate is mounted on the right hand side of the engine and the connections are facing the front of the car, should the top one run to the top of cooler core?

I'm still not a 100% sure but found this here: http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/79130-r33-oil-cooler-installation/page-1

post-5900-1146987691.jpg

There's mixed information out there on whether the oil should flow top-to-bottom or bottom-to-top in the core. One argument for the former is easier flow with gravity, and for the latter avoiding air bubbles from forming at the top of the core. I think this diagram is from the Trust/Greddy kit:

l_500_377_1b572e78-fe80-4a66-839e-6819b1

This is the way I'm planning on hooking it up, flow from bottom to top.

Ok I just got the car back last night, the workship did a neat job with the sandwich plate and hoses.

It looks like I have an issue though, I just did a long drive on the freeway and can't get the oil temp up, it's sitting between 55 and 60. Water is sitting at 80.

I can think of a couple of causes:

1. Maybe the thermo pellet in the sandwich plate is not working and the cooler circuit is stuck open? Trying the core by hand it's hot but not unbearable.

2. I previously had the temp sensor in a separate sandwich plate with oil flowing through it. For this install they removed the factory pressure sensor and teed off that point - is it possible that the temp reading is inaccurate when it's measured at a 'dead end'?

Any ideas welcome, thanks guys!

Ok I just got the car back last night, the workship did a neat job with the sandwich plate and hoses.

It looks like I have an issue though, I just did a long drive on the freeway and can't get the oil temp up, it's sitting between 55 and 60. Water is sitting at 80.

I can think of a couple of causes:

1. Maybe the thermo pellet in the sandwich plate is not working and the cooler circuit is stuck open? Trying the core by hand it's hot but not unbearable.

2. I previously had the temp sensor in a separate sandwich plate with oil flowing through it. For this install they removed the factory pressure sensor and teed off that point - is it possible that the temp reading is inaccurate when it's measured at a 'dead end'?

Any ideas welcome, thanks guys!

Also driving a couple of k's from cold start you can feel the oil cooler feed hose getting warm whilst return stays cool. Does this mean the thermostat is not working?