SAU Community

Number 6cl Keeps Dropping Out

centoproject

s1 stagea non neo cylinder number 6 stops working done a leak down test also compression test all look perfect so its not that re done the main earths for the engine not running at all managed to get it going for a short moment then its gone back to not working coils are new spitfires rotated the coils to exclude them also pulled plug on 6 comes out wet and washed like petrol has been flowing through we are getting spark also super annoying !

Kind regards

Chris lloyd

plugs rotated to and no just 6 is out rest seam fine i can touch the manifold on n6 not hot hmm how to you check coil loom looked at it visually all seams to be quite flexible still may be worth doing a continuity check ?

Yep and how old is plug? Is enamel in good condition? If it looks good clean it and gap it down to 0.8mm

Yep and how old is plug? Is enamel in good condition? If it looks good clean it and gap it down to 0.8mm

plugs are new iridium gapped from factory all gapped identical as well condition of all plugs are identical rotated the plugs and the issue remains on 6 so this excludes plug problem ?

plugs are new iridium gapped from factory all gapped identical as well condition of all plugs are identical rotated the plugs and the issue remains on 6 so this excludes plug problem ?

One would think so but I would still be inclined to gap them all down to 0.8mm - they are probably set at 1.1

Did you rotate the coils as well?

Look inside the coil plugs to make sure all the contacts are there.

gapped them down to 0.9 i will try go bit lower although apparently you damage them gapping iridiums ? and yes coils rotated i will also try and use a stock coil on 6 see if that helps also i will loo down the plugs, thankfully i have already purchased new set of plug connectors for the coils :) i will update hopefully tonight

Right guys retuminated crimped and soldered plus overbraided the hole coil pack loom inspected everything may have found a contribution to the misfire on 6 classic green corrosion on the small centre earth bit to late to test now i will report back tomorrow :)

post-140048-0-17042200-1451952152_thumb.jpg

Right guys retuminated crimped and soldered plus overbraided the hole coil pack loom inspected everything may have found a contribution to the misfire on 6 classic green corrosion on the small centre earth bit to late to test now i will report back tomorrow :)

just been out to test and still no luck unplug number 6 no change in engine running tried a few coils cleaned the plug each time nice spark each time well out of the cylinder pull the plug and its wet each time look down the spark plug hole and the piston is glossy like it has liquid on top hmmm

is the spark maybe out of phase due to cas ? or would they all be out of whack ?

I have just been through this with my car in December, I checked and replaced everything possible and it all looked good but cylinder 6 would not fire. I got to the point of just diving in and started pulling everything apart. Got the rocker covers off and found the exhaust cam had broken right above the middle of cylinder 5 and the so the second lobe for cylinder 5 and the two lobes for cylinder 6 were not turning any more. The piece of cam that was not turning any more just happened to stop in a position with the last three exhaust valves closed so compression tests and everything were showing normal results. Lucky!

BTW the cause was the threads on the last cam bearing cap pulling out and allowing the end of the cam to wobble and eventually stress the cam shaft at the next bearing cap and that is where it sheared off.

I had the cam bearing cap bolt threads heli-coiled and replaced the cam now everything is good as new.

• Like 1

I have just been through this with my car in December, I checked and replaced everything possible and it all looked good but cylinder 6 would not fire. I got to the point of just diving in and started pulling everything apart. Got the rocker covers off and found the exhaust cam had broken right above the middle of cylinder 5 and the so the second lobe for cylinder 5 and the two lobes for cylinder 6 were not turning any more. The piece of cam that was not turning any more just happened to stop in a position with the last three exhaust valves closed so compression tests and everything were showing normal results. Lucky!

BTW the cause was the threads on the last cam bearing cap pulling out and allowing the end of the cam to wobble and eventually stress the cam shaft at the next bearing cap and that is where it sheared off.

I had the cam bearing cap bolt threads heli-coiled and replaced the cam now everything is good as new.

Wow you learn something every day!

That's mental, but op has said comp test is ok.

very interesting cam cover seals could do with a replenishment i will have a look over the weekend i will check the injector harness tonight seams that the pins can work out of the main injector harness plug

in regards to cam i managed to get it running well for a few mins i think also the compression test would be not the best ? hmm sound mad though i have had a similar thing with audi tdi v6

number 6 appears to be down still i fear it may be an injector clogged seams to be clicking away to itself if i listen with a rod to my ear although could just be the rest i will remove rail when i get chance

on another side not is it just an auto ecu thing that its super jury when coming of throttle ?

number 6 appears to be down still i fear it may be an injector clogged seams to be clicking away to itself if i listen with a rod to my ear although could just be the rest i will remove rail when i get chance

on another side not is it just an auto ecu thing that its super jury when coming of throttle ?

super jury?

Yes its very odd just suddenly stops almost like it is cutting out best way to describe its like an engine brake thought it may be due to throttle switch because going along around 30mph you are only slightly on the throttle around 1400rpm