SAU Community

Rb20 Maf Repair

Some of you may have seen my RB20 powered RX-7 or my RB20 powered 48 Studebaker, shown elsewhere here. If not, you can see the build details on my website stilettoman.info in the automotive section

I have been plagued with electrical / engine management gremlins in the RX-7, finally bit the bullet and bought a Wiring Specialties harness. That solved many of the problems, but it would still cut out momentarily at random times. I got the analysis software from Concept Z, and it showed that the MAF signal was going away when the engine cut out. I was told that "you cannot repair a MAF, just buy a new one". After consuming some "brain enhancer medication" (bourbon) I decided to find out what this mysterious device looks like on the inside. I started by removing the connector plug, which pulled out fairly easily. The solder connections came off very easily and I noticed that one of the connections left no trace of solder on the copper contact. My immediate reaction was that this was my problem. I cleaned everything, reassembled it and resoldered the connections. The car now runs flawlessly.

I realize this may be a very rare occurrence, but just thought I should pass this on in case any of you Wizards of Oz like to spend your money on medication rather than car parts.

post-115519-0-01975700-1455173896_thumb.jpgpost-115519-0-56422000-1455173909_thumb.jpgpost-115519-0-20069900-1455173925_thumb.jpgpost-115519-0-73794200-1455173939_thumb.jpg

• Like 1