SAU Community

Time For A Tune

Hey guys! I've got a 33GTST running 7psi on low boost and 11 on high with the supporting mods:

3inch down pipe following to 3.5 cat back exhaust

100cell high flow cat

Front mount intercooler

Fuel reg

Walbro 255 fuel pump

High flow turbo

Spitfire coilpacks

Dual stage boost controller

Now that I've got these mods I'm wanting to get a tune and a new ECU. I need to know a good place based on the Gold Coast to get a tune and what ecu to get. I'm heading towards a Nistune. I've heard about EFI in southport and what a great job they do on Nistunes and probably going to go them at the end. My car has the factory ECU so wanting to upgrade ECU and tune before going towards more power gains. Will I also feel any difference with a tune? If anyone knows how much tunes and ECUs cost including installing would be great! Thanks in advance guys!

You will feel a difference when you wind your turbo up to 24psi or whatever it is suitable for. You will NEED a tune to make it work. Have you fitted all of the above? If you look closely you will find your car already has a fuel reg. Will your afm and injectors cope with your projected new power level? Don't forget to put spark plugs on your list.

Do some research to find out what you have to do to Nistune an R33.

• Like 1

Just to clarify. Nistune do not have a chip for the R33. You need to find the appropriate Z32 ecu or similar preferably one that can control the VCT. Simpler but more expensive is to get a Link which will do everything you need and more including obviating the need for a bigger AFM (you will need a MAP sensor instead - and an air temp sensor).

How much power is claimed for your turbo? Check that its maximum is not more than your injectors can handle - otherwise you will need a set of bigger injectors. And how good is your front mount?

I recommend you chat with Gavin Woods at Labrador, i have used him a few times and he knows a power fc better than most and at the end you wont get a nasty suprise with the bill...

• Like 1

I recommend you chat with Gavin Woods at Labrador, i have used him a few times and he knows a power fc better than most and at the end you wont get a nasty suprise with the bill...

How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking

Was about $600 first time and $200-300 for the second touch up tune on E85 compare that to a top place in brisbane ( not sure if i can name) who charged me $1000 just to tune a very mild setup with a high flow..

Having said that i try to give the tuner a good package to tune, so one with new parts/combination so he doesn't have to dick around with rubbish, but he will likely tell you in the before tune inspection...