SAU Community

Gearbox/transfer Case Leak Help

jjcb

Hey everyone

R32 GTR

I just noticed some gearbox fluid (looks like gearbox oil?) leaking down at the bottom of my transfer case. I've recently got the gearbox re-sealed (rear) and also just re-sealed a sensor in the gearbox but still getting the leak. I've attached a pic to better explain but just want to ask if anyone had any ideas on what it could be before I proceed to fixing it again.

Thanks in advance!

post-140399-14614106878363_thumb.jpg

What colour fluid is in the transfer case?

I've seen plenty leak, and it's usually from the gear boot being torn at the top of the transfer case. Oil gets thrown up by the internals and gets past the torn boot and dribbles down the side of the case...

Hi, thanks for your reply

I'm pretty sure it's gold but I'm going to drop the transfer case oil and double check today.

By gear boot do you mean something like this?

post-140399-14614466336801_thumb.jpg

If so I'll have a look at that today also.

Yes that's exactly what he means.

I've also seen lots of leaks from the rear fitting. Possibly because it is not tight (it uses a flare fitting) or i f not perished o-ring inside that housing.

The transfer case and gearbox are separate internally so you need to identify if the leak is gearbox oil (heavy smelly oil, normally dark honey to black but also possibly smurf blood (thick blue) or purple), vs transfer case leak which is automatic transmission fluid which tends to be red or blue, much thinner and not an oil at all

If it's running Redline lightweight shockproof gear oil, which the colour would suggest, you might want to look at extending the gearbox breather hose as their 'new' formula, tends to foam up and travel up the breather.

• Like 1

If it's running Redline lightweight shockproof gear oil, which the colour would suggest, you might want to look at extending the gearbox breather hose as their 'new' formula, tends to foam up and travel up the breather.

Bloody stuff. I've got the breather extended up to the brake booster and there was still a puddle of smurf jizz under my car.