SAU Community

Stagea Engine Conversion

unlimitedpower

I have a future project in mind that im very seriously looking into,

Now 99% of you will tune round and say this is a stupid idea but please look at it from my point of view.

Im hoping to convert a RS4 Stagea to Diesel Turbo,

Now this is where i know your asking WHY???
Yes i know it will be slower,

I travel 700+ks a week for work and get Diesel fuel for free,
I have a Nissan Avenir SW11 Diesel Turbo and its a great car but getting up over 300,000ks now and i want something a little better for towing the boat but something im happy to drive every day.
Im not out to win any races,
Before anyone asks the RD28T was in the Nissan Patrol/Safari and that is 300kgs heavier than a staega,

Now i under stand the requirements of an adapter plate and pickup. (think same thing as a RB30 GTR conversion)
So im certain i can get it in there and running,

The area im a little unsure of is the wiring, How much input from the engine ECU is required to make the Attessa AWD system work???
I believe it may need a signal from the throttle position sensor, Which i guess i could fab one onto the injector pump to get a sensor feed setup from that.

Is there anyone on here that knows how all the wiring etc for this system works that i could bounce some ideas off, (someone with an open mind who doesn't just think that the only way to modify a car is to make it faster).
Or someone who has some detailed wiring diagrams of the system that would be great,
I would in parts at a Auto Electrical work shop so have a reasonable idea how wiring works and have sparkys to bounce ideas off and help me out,

I really want to try make this work on the AWD platform as i think with the amount of ks i do and pulling the boat up wet boat ramps the AWD will be very handy,

If it becomes seemly impossible then i guess that a 2WD platform could be used which will still give me the large diesel wagon im after.
We get alot of 2WD Stages here in NZ, So finding one is easy.

• Like 3

Great idea, anything is possible with enough determination. One would think a Nissan-to-Nissan transplant is easier than dropping in an engine from another manufacturer.

I've been following this LS1 thread where a member bought a VF GTS wreck and transplanted everything into a VF wagon shell in less than 12 months ... massive job and very well done, massive credit to the owner: http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?169220-VF-GTS-Wagon/

Good luck! Subscribing

I have a Stagea workshop manual (in Japanese) if you need wiring diagrams.

Have you got a S1 or S2? If S1 you will need the ecu to control the Auto.

The problem with AWD is you need the sump because it has the diff in it so is the diesel sump anywhere near the same as your RS4?

Whereabouts are you? Joe Kyle in Henderson has been adapting the diesel block to run (petrol turbo) in Skylines so may have some tips for you...(re engine mounts etc).

Excellent i will talk to Joe Kyle.
Im up in Northland, Project won't be a fast one, While my Avenir is still running strong there isn't much pressure. But im paying for the RD28T today so its not all just dreams,

If it is just a Tacho feed i should be able to steal that from the back of the clusters or directly off the back of the alternator or pump what ever the RD28T uses for a signal feed,
The TPS switch i was hoping to adapt to the back of the pump off the end of the cable drive,

Its just wiring in the TPS to the system that could be the problem as im unsure about where to do that,

Any diagrams would be great i'll PM you,

Just to recap:

ATTESA pin -> ECU pin - Description

Pin 3 -> Pin 5 - Tachometer signal

Pin 23 -> Pin 37 - TPS

Pin 34 -> Pin 43 - Sensor ground

You could just run your own length of multicore wire down to the passenger side panel in the boot and patch into the existing loom. Easy if youve already got everything pulled up to work on the fuel pump.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just to let people know i wasn't another one of those peoples who just have big dreams but don't give things a go,

IMG_4385.jpg
IMG_4384.jpg
IMG_4397.jpg
IMG_4399.jpg
IMG_4396.jpg

RD28T from a Y60 Nissan Patrol. Doing the timing, water pump, seals, rocker cover intake and exhaust gaskets, (rebuilt or upgraded turbo from Steve Murch)
103,000ks from a side impact damaged truck

Then next up is get the money together for a 2WD-4WD sump adapter and pick up from RIPS,

Car i picked up super cheap.
Series 2 Factory Manual 4WD Turbo 220,000ks.
Has badly blown head gasket, Extremely tidy other wise and has had RS260 interior fitted

• Like 1