SAU Community

Opinions On Buying This R33 Skyline

Hey guys, I am 19 and interested in buying this skyline: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wangara/cars-vans-utes/r33-nissan-skyline-gts-t-2327-/1110600088

I have had it inspected and test driven it does stall at lights sometimes due to idle control valve or vac lines (terms of purchase it will be fixed).

Apart from that minor problem, car is very clean.

Can only get insurance through just car at $1834/yr

14 gorillas is high priced and correct me if I'm wrong but it's not registered !

Let it go and keep on hunting ! You wil be able to find one in excellent condition for that kind of money.

Dealer will lower price to $13,250. Comes with 6 months registration (is on terms of purchase), also has Japanese Export Certificate to support the KMs it has. Has been compression tested to 170psi +/- 5psi over the 6 cylinders. Car is really clean, have had it mechanically inspected by a third party and have said its one of the cleanest 33's they have seen. Cost them $12,059 to import and compile it btw.

What sort of price should I expect to be paying for this? Going by Redbook $10,500?

it would have been very unlikely that a dealer spent 12k importing a 33....

if you like it mate, buy it. but that's high money for it. you would want to keep it cos no ones ever gonna offer you more than 8 for it again.

Ha, yep it's easy to fall in love with a car, especially when it's that clean.

But have to agree it's too much , especially with a stalling issue , could be a bad tune or worse.

This reminds me of me 15 years ago.

I was getting divorced, so what do you do ?

Get a Skyline..

I walked in to Envy showroom in Manly, they had an electric blue R34 GTR which looked thrashed and poorly modded, a really clean silver R33 GTR for $46000 which was awesome but I was borrowing ALL the money so a bit out of my reach.Plus insurance for twin turbo was $3800.

There were a few more outside but who cares.

Lastly there it was...

A freshly resprayed in black nicely modded raw looking GTS-T with Jap Stern offset wheels, sitting on the shiny showroom floor in it's own area.

Full GTR body kit and a huge intercooler poking through with no mesh/grill over it, looking mean.

I instantly fell in love with it.

Walked around it over and over looking at my own reflection.

My two sons were with me exciting as f**k about buying a Skyline., and kept saying get this one, get this one..

Listed price was $26500 for a 6 year old GTS-T !

Mind you it was highflowed, and Haltech tuned from 187 to 250 kw, so quicker than the GTRs there.

After I drove it I offered $21000 and got it for $22500

I still have it.

Don't forget ALL Skylines are becoming more and more sought after and are rising in value, if they're looked after..

Don't be surprised when clean examples fetch big dollars.

I recently saw this on gumtree online and thought it was pretty pricey for the lack of mods. (Mind you, you pay more for unmodified cars sometimes) and ended up paying $10k for an R33 (Which i still thought was too much) But, had $15k worth of performance receipts in 2012 and has so far been a great car. Would have hated to buy a car for nearly the $15k and then spend another $15k over time modding it. Now i only need to worry about maintenance as it has everything i want, already done.

EDIT: Also, from experience when i got my S14 ADM, they wanted $4k per year.. Just insure it 3rd party until the premiums drop down. Im now 23 and have my R33 insured for $800 per year including all mods through Just Cars.

Edited by Glennno

I reckon it's better to get a stock one and mod it​, it's about the journey and who wants someone's thrashed out sloppy seconds. (unless for skids then do skids)

But there are miles between the average skyline for sale in oz compared to a legit low k car ,worth every penny if that's what your after. A Friend just spent $12.5k on a pretty clean/stock s13.

If this car has a genuine 66k on it, I would expect next to no wear on things like the steering wheel , seat bolsters, carpet around foot rest, gear knob and boot, handbrake leather, engine should look spotless and whole car mechanically flawless. If there is visible wear on any of the above, I call bullshit.

I bought my 33 gtst last year. The cluster showed 58k km and the seller was adamant it was genuine. I quickly looked the car over and pointed out to the owner some wear on some of the above items. I told him that based on that I would estimate the car had closer to 160k on it. Still fairly low for age. Long story short, I comp tested it and got 170psi across all pots and ended up buying the car for 10k incl rwc which is quite pricey for a 33 gtst. The previous owner had a complete history since he owned the car and receipts totalling over 13k for mostly cosmetics and maintenance items, mechanically was stock and in fantastic shape. The point is, I knew what i was buying and bought on condition rather than what the alleged kms where.

If the 33 your looking at is really that good then keep talking to the dealer and negotiate a better price. That has to be the highest priced 33 I have seen for a long time. If it doesnt work out, there is plenty of other 33's out there. My 2c. Good luck.

• Like 1

Wouldn't pay that kind of silly money, too expensive.

Odometer wound back for sure, judging by the photos there's too much wear on the steering wheel, carpet, seat, door trim, etc.

A car with that "apparent" kms would look much different.

But hey, if you want to cook 13k on a 20 year old R33 then ignore what I just said :)