SAU Community

Dismal Hot Starts With E-manage

conan7772

Well my starter motor is copping a hiding atm after the e-manage went in.

Cold starts are very good, but hot starts are really bad.

Sometimes takes 3 goes with the starter motor turning for around 3 seconds.

Is this quite common with the piggy back tune ?

Anyone know what to tweak to fix this ?

Car just had 570 Densos installed too.

I'll be taking it back to Jez for another tune after new intercooler plus cel light bypass chip.

Any tips would be great.

cheers

I had the same issue last time with the emanage as it wasn't getting enough fuel on hot starts

Cold starts were fine surprisingly

At first thought it might have been flooding but some aerostart in the plenum kicked it over most times

Under 280 kw emanage seemed to cope ok ish but once it was above 300kw it really struggled for consistency

Also noticed on Install guide the pump had a jet pump.

Mine doesn't have it.

Maybe that one would prime better ?

Anyone know which models had the jet pump within the assembly and why ?

• 2 weeks later...

i have similar problem after EMU setup, car will take 2-3s to get start when in warm and only take 1s in cold.

recently i changed dirty throttle body, PCV valve, engine fan clutch and add a universal HOT INAZMA voltage stabilizer. can't figure out which one effect the engine start but i found the problem is gone. now the warm engine start perform same as cold.

Edited by YangLIU

2-3 seconds I'd be happy.

sometimes takes me 2-3 minutes.

I'm thinking relay trigger needs to be off ignition and not the factory fuel pump feed, so pump primes before engine kicks over..

Not that it is any help, but my PNM35 fuel pump primes as I turn on the ignition then I turn to start it. Sometimes the fuel pump primes for two to three seconds before getting to pressure and switching off. On my old GSXR750 it hated hot starts and just wouldn't. I tried everything ! Turns out when the starter relay caught on fire that was probably the problem. Mechanic had ruled it out about 2k of parts before the fire......

Hot start has a low pulse width.Had the same issue, setting the correct lag times for the injectors helped. But putting a new battery in solved it completely. It was getting down to 7.8v on cranking with my old battery and my 950cc injectors wouldn't even open..the emanage doesnt have a voltage vs lag time correction so you have to adjust the overall lag time adjustment to compensate...doing that can make idle rich...so getting the voltage as high as possible means you dont have to dial in as much addtional lag time. Mine runs well with .66 OEM and 1.12 Bosch (lag time 1.12 - 0.66 = 0.46). I had to run the bosch at 1.6 with the old battery...which caused rich idle on 98

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

Ok. Just fixed a car with the same injectors as yours and same problem. Had to zero out the injector cc correction and lag times. Then put the correction into inj map 2 (-37% across the whole map). Car starts instantly now. Was so bad before it stuffed the starter motor.

Seems the emanage has issues during cranking with its calculations using the injector correction settings. These denso injectors seem to make it worse. I think they are Chinese copies of 35R injectors.

• 3 months later...

so here's some data logging of my starts if you're interested.

Need E-manage software to read

cold - ( car sitting overnight ) - perfect

hot - ( car sitting for a few minutes ) - good

warm -(car sitting for a couple or more hours) - bad

you see on warm1 log it took 4 long goes to start

I'm assuming it's water temp affecting the injector output duration and or vapour lock ?

Strange though also log shows water temp at 6 degrees ???

That was after car sitting for 6 hours and a mild day.

Maybe E-manage skewing readings ?

cold1.lg2

hot1good.lg2

warm1.lg2