SAU Community

If Airbags Are Deployed Does This Mean The Car's A Write Off? Low Km's Accident

mercyseat

I suspect that they found something else on the car when looking... Rusty chassis railes or something... previous damage? or it bent a chassis rail

Insurance companies are businesses. They would not write off a car insured for 30k that has a couple of G's worth of damage (provided it is just a quarter)

Also looks to be a 4 door r34

ah you missed the important bit.

insurance comapny found out it was greg's car...no-one would touch it as worried the bad luck would rub off on them.

think Christine from Stephen king on PMS...

• Like 1

I'm hoping nothing structural is damaged....chassis, engine, transmission.

Been looking at other option's.

I like Elgrande vans and Stagea wagons but again insurance is hard to get and expensive.

Think it's ridiculous that import cars driver's cop it in the insurance dept as parts are alot more accessible than they were 10 years ago.

I'm hoping nothing structural is damaged....chassis, engine, transmission.

Been looking at other option's.

I like Elgrande vans and Stagea wagons but again insurance is hard to get and expensive.

Think it's ridiculous that import cars driver's cop it in the insurance dept as parts are alot more accessible than they were 10 years ago.

I dont think you should be off-put by imports completely. Later stageas and elgrandes dont suffer the same issues with thefts as skylines do. With a wealth of information here and sharing common parts with australian delivered Nissans, I think imported Nissans are still a worthy option.

Depending on your age, Shannons and Famous Insurance offer reasonable prices and do take into account additional information, unlike most insurance companies (eg how often the car is driven, how it is stored, driver training experience etc.)

I suspect that they found something else on the car when looking... Rusty chassis railes or something... previous damage? or it bent a chassis rail

Insurance companies are businesses. They would not write off a car insured for 30k that has a couple of G's worth of damage (provided it is just a quarter)

Also looks to be a 4 door r34

When I looked under it was a real head-scratcher, but the assessor agreed with what the mechanic agreed. I should also say when Shannons offered me to buy back the wreck the price was .. uh.. $3500.

So it's now back in another R34 sedan shell as you'd expect lol (and insured for more :P)

Point being is damage in OP's pic + insured for 10K, I would wager is absolutely written off, no doubt, no negotiation no thought, instantly.

Jury is out. It's one point off a complete write off....repairable but not viable.

Right hand chassis rail has been compromised, he wasn't sure about the left hand side. Also he couldn't confirm if the front of the engine block got damaged which just increases the cost to repair. ..

I enquired to buy back the salvage but they wanted $2400....again not viable.

Have to let it go. If i had the time and space I'd buy it and repair it myself. But if I was to ever sell it, it would come up as being written off so best to just cut the losses. ..at this point around $4000 out of pocket. Lucky i didnt buy the $3500 Volk rims i was looking to fit it out with.

I'd buy another R33 again if I could get a decent insurance quote. Shannons wouldn't do the agreed value i wanted without a ridiculous premium so I ended up with RACV. They're handling it the case good so far. Just thought being almost 40 years old and a great driving history I'd got better rates overall in all insurance companies.

• 2 weeks later...

Jury is out. It's one point off a complete write off....repairable but not viable.

Right hand chassis rail has been compromised, he wasn't sure about the left hand side. Also he couldn't confirm if the front of the engine block got damaged which just increases the cost to repair. ..

I enquired to buy back the salvage but they wanted $2400....again not viable.

Have to let it go. If i had the time and space I'd buy it and repair it myself. But if I was to ever sell it, it would come up as being written off so best to just cut the losses. ..at this point around $4000 out of pocket. Lucky i didnt buy the $3500 Volk rims i was looking to fit it out with.

I'd buy another R33 again if I could get a decent insurance quote. Shannons wouldn't do the agreed value i wanted without a ridiculous premium so I ended up with RACV. They're handling it the case good so far. Just thought being almost 40 years old and a great driving history I'd got better rates overall in all insurance companies.

sorry for your loss..I'll buy your engine & gearbox for $2000?

I'm getting my wreck back from the insurance company.

We've negotiated a price I'm happy with.

I'm considering selling the complete car as one piece with import paper's, Japanese history books, and I have the rego paper's. Engine has only 98,000kms.Gearbox was gold too post MVA. Car never been modified. Only imported 3 months ago so I'm the first owner.

It's a repairable write off, the car is more than 15 year's old so VIC Roads advised it doesn't require a VIV only a roadworthy which helps.

I wanted to repair but I can't get any viable quotations to repair the airbags. The body work isn't the issue.

Is there any economical airbag repairers in VIC?

Anyways if I decide to sell the wreck I'll post it on another thread later down the line.

Edited by mercyseat

(im not familiar with skylines) is it just drivers airbag that went off or are there other airbags?

its not as simple as just replacing the steering wheel?

I know the G-force module thing is usually located under the centre console, but that shouldnt need replacing?

(im not familiar with skylines) is it just drivers airbag that went off or are there other airbags?

its not as simple as just replacing the steering wheel?

I know the G-force module thing is usually located under the centre console, but that shouldnt need replacing?

If the passenger airbag went pop, it'll rip apart that whole side of the dash.

It's a 1997 Series 2

Both passenger and driver's deployed.

Passenger one just flipped open and cracked windscreen from force too.

Pretty annoying really. My boyfriend cracked his sternum from the impact of the passenger one deploying.

Looks like around $3000 to fix...whole dash would have to come out i think.

post-74120-0-34874100-1466107400_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I get my car back tomorrow from the insurance company.!!! Yay!:D

Considering a slow rebuild or possibly selling.

Its a 1997 Nissan Skyline R33 GTST 40th Anniversary Model

Midnight Purple

Only 98,000kms on the clock - Engine had just had a service pre-accident and had the timing belt, water pump and bearings replaced.

(have all the receipts for the work done on the car)

Automatic - Gearbox was A1 post MVA

Completely stock,  according to my mechanic who checked the computer. (his quote "a virgin")  

I have ALL the original Importation papers and the car was only registered 3 mths ago for the first time in Australia, so

I am the first Australian Owner. Also have the Japanese auction report paperwork, compliance certificate.

Original Radio Cassette, Ash Tray

Has an alarm and GPS tracking system installed. (Have receipts)

Rims with tyres with 95% tread.

Paint Good - Panels were ALL A1 until MVA

Stock 40th Anniversary Rear Wing with brake light

Pistol Grip gear knob - stock 40th Anniversary.

Upgraded injectors I believe in the 40th Anniversary model

Air-Con / Heater were working A1 pre accident.

Not interested in any stupid offers if I decide to sell the wreck.  Not parting out, sells as a whole at this point and that's if I decide to sell.

Pre AND Post Accident photo's attached

12325967_10153318933892251_570797126_o.jpg

IMAG2507.jpg

IMAG2522.jpg

IMAG2521.jpg

IMAG2514.jpg

IMAG2510 (1).jpg

IMAG2509.jpg

Edited by mercyseat