SAU Community

A New Story About Our Friend Dimitri And Prestige Auto Center.

bluenoir

So I sold my last 350GT to a mate and am now actively looking for my next, preferably a 370GT.

Came across this red 370GT, very mint, great paint and interior, runs good, then I took some underbody photos which kinda worries me... Quite a bit of rust around the midpipe and muffler.

The owners are a very nice old couple.

The husband took me for a drive then passed the keys to me. "Take them and drive it!"

I was like "yes sir thank you but why are you not coming to the passenger seat?"

Old pal was like "no why do I need to? Just drive it!"

I "...oh please take my keys so I feel better!"

Quick spin around the corner, all good, but the lady then told me about our nice friend Dimitri and his Prestige Auto center.

SHIIIAATTT.

So I said I will pay a Japanese odo check out of my pocket and get back to them.

Today the JOC guys came back and give me this...

Yep, odo was wound back for more than 80,000 kms.

The car was a 4B (which proves the condition) but was sold with more than 100k on it; the couple bought it with 21k, and they did another 22k, so I'm looking at a 120k car, which had missed its major (100k) service (water pump, trans fluid, diff fluid, plugs, etc) and with quite a bit of rust (see pics).

I really like this car but I've come to a point don't feel like bargaining anymore...

The couple paid $39K back in 2013 and I don't even want to pay $25k for it right now - but no way they are going to accept something like $23K.

Can anyone help me to justify this car and guide me on how much money I need to set aside to service / replace parts up to the standard it deserves?

post-134497-0-26097100-1466949200_thumb.jpg

post-134497-0-50004400-1466949209_thumb.jpg

post-134497-0-94512700-1466949216_thumb.jpg

post-134497-0-00881100-1466949224_thumb.jpg

post-134497-0-49504300-1466949560_thumb.png

80,000kms wind back... thats f**ked.

a clean car is a clean car, regardless of how many kms. but you dont really know what you're getting in this case until you crack it open.

my 2c: tell the old people your findings. if they're happy with <$25k then get it assessed at a reputable shop. things like surface rust on exhaust isnt a worry, but if gearbox fluid is like tar or something.

• Like 1

So I said I will pay a Japanese odo check out of my pocket and get back to them.

Forget that they're elderly. I'm 67.

You don't have to pay for their naivety!

You also don't have to pay $25K, when it's really worth $18,500

You've actually done some of their homework for them.

Give them a copy of the JOC report for free; tell them that you may be interested still - but you need to think about it.

If in a week you call them or they call you, your physical scrutiny will be the next step.

And hold off on your final offer until then.

I'm telling you this, even if the old lady is my godmother's cousin.

• Like 2

Shitty situation bit they are the ones who were suckered in, not you. You've done your diligence. Sucks for them but the fact is their car isn't worth what they think it is.

Don't be afraid of it just cause it's got 120k ks on it, it'll still likely be in great shape, but pay what a car with those ks on it is worth, not more because you feel sorry that they paid more.

80,000kms wind back... thats f**ked.

a clean car is a clean car, regardless of how many kms. but you dont really know what you're getting in this case until you crack it open.

my 2c: tell the old people your findings. if they're happy with <$25k then get it assessed at a reputable shop. things like surface rust on exhaust isnt a worry, but if gearbox fluid is like tar or something.

I kinda struggle because I think it is still a very clean car. Runs smooth, exterior and interior without a mark. But I will need to fork out another $200 for a proper inspection.

If I am to buy it I will flush everything I can flush lol - and that will be like another $800? Not sure what exactly I need to do now.

I have sent the paper to them already and they are very shocked and sad. Have not provided them with a number yet as I need to do my research first...

Forget that they're elderly. I'm 67.

You don't have to pay for their naivety!

You also don't have to pay $25K, when it's really worth $18,500

You've actually done some of their homework for them.

Give them a copy of the JOC report for free; tell them that you may be interested still - but you need to think about it.

If in a week you call them or they call you, your physical scrutiny will be the next step.

And hold off on your final offer until then.

I'm telling you this, even if the old lady is my godmother's cousin.

No Terry you are different you are a star!!

I'm thinking about offering 23k for now, given that it is:

- a type S, not SP as advertised

- 130,000 ish kms

- rust on exhaust (do you think this is serious?)

- missed major service (hope it had good service record in Japan but I have nothing to track)

But with that sort of money I may as well top up another 10k and buy a 370z locally!

And I need a car before July ends... If not I will import one myself with no hesitation.

I wouldn't worry about the exhaust. You would probably gain a lot from a custom system anyway.

Just a pain in the arse freeing bits with seized/brittle bolts from the surface rust. $200 for someone to put the car on a hoist and have a good look around is a wise investment. The money you paid for an odo check has already saved you potentially thousands.

Another point you should consider... If you ever need to sell this car, the wind back would scare a lot of people away. Even if you advertise that you knew about it, the car has been tampered with plain and simple.

To be honest I'd move on regardless how good you think it is.