SAU Community

Looking To Buy A 370gt... But Shit Happened, The Infamous Dimitri.

Long story short, I found a car, loved it, then owners told me they purchased it off Prestige Auto Centre. Odometer was wound back for 80,000 kms.

The car was advertised by him as having 22k kms, the couple purchased it, did another 21k, so the car has literally done more than 120k kms. No major service was done in Australia (and I have nothing to track its past from Japan), only 2 minor services conducted in the past 3 years (and 21k km travelled), exhaust has some surface rust.

You can take a read in this post I made at another section of the forum.

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/465513-a-new-story-about-our-friend-dimitri-and-prestige-auto-center/

I'm now left in a very awkward position; really love the car for its condition, but feeling very insecure about its true condition.

Could anyone give me a rough figure on how much I will need to set aside for:

- Full fluid change (trans, diff, brake, engine, coolant, what else?)

- Water pump (I thought they need to be changed at 100,000k?)

- Spark plugs (NGK platimum maybe - I bought a set of 6 for my last V35 and they cost like $24 each)

- Pre-purchase inspection

So I can go back to them with a sensible figure? At the moment I'm guessing that doing all the above will cost me $1,500 (plugs $150+, water pump $250+, fluid $900+, inspection $200).

Also could someone tell me if the rust looks very serious in this case? I have the impression that they are mostly surface rust and I can easily get rid of them by getting a nice custom system installed.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Well, have a look at how much you can purchase/import a car with 120k+ kms on it, and there is your purchase price. Don't pay a cent more as that would be supporting odo tampering imo.

The fact you have the evidence there that the vehicle has had its odometer wound back is enough to go back to them with a price suitable for a vehicle with 120,000km and only serviced twice, when I would've preferred four times (i.e. every 10,000km instead of 5,000km).

The truth might hurt them but it is what it is. Furthermore, nice old couple or not, I would report the vehicle to whichever site they've advertised it on with this evidence so that they adjust their ad accordingly, to prevent someone else getting sucked in. It's unfortunate for them but they can't reasonably expect someone else to pay for their lack of diligence by offloading it under such dishonest circumstances. It is what it is.

The fact you have the evidence there that the vehicle has had its odometer wound back is enough to go back to them with a price suitable for a vehicle with 120,000km and only serviced twice, when I would've preferred four times (i.e. every 10,000km instead of 5,000km).

The truth might hurt them but it is what it is. Furthermore, nice old couple or not, I would report the vehicle to whichever site they've advertised it on with this evidence so that they adjust their ad accordingly, to prevent someone else getting sucked in. It's unfortunate for them but they can't reasonably expect someone else to pay for their lack of diligence by offloading it under such dishonest circumstances. It is what it is.

Thanks Max. Yes I am going to reduce my price offered, just want to have an understanding of how much I should spend on top of it if I am to purchase this car. I'm thinking to offer them something like 22k and if they don't take it too bad.

I have sympathy for them but I will not pay for their mistake. But if vq37 can last 300,000km with proper care, I will not shut this car down either.

To break down your questions then:

1) I'd leave the transmission fluid alone. It's intended to never be changed anyway but if you're feeling paranoid, it's going to be seriously expensive compared to all other fluids. If nothing else, just inspect the fluid for anything out of the ordinary, likewise with the diff and power steering. Otherwise, just do the brake, engine and coolant, which will be somewhere around the $130 mark off the top of my head along with an oil filter (based on around $70 for 6L of Penrite full synthetic, $30 for coolant and the rest on the oil filter and a bottle of brake fluid). If air filters need replacing as well, budget for another $60 or so. I got a couple Fram ones off eBay. While I was at it, I bought a cabin air filter for another $20 or so.

2) Unless you heard something weird with the timing chain and need to do some work there (or if the vehicle is exhibiting leaks or temperature issues), I see no reason to change the water pump as a preventative maintenance thing. These motors haven't been flagged as having any known issue where you need to replace them at 100,000km.

3) Spark plugs, of course. Budget for around $180 for platinums again.

4) Pre-purchase inspections typically range from around $300-$400 depending on who's providing the service, so budget for that and hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised instead.

• Like 1

Thanks very much Max, it's a huge relief then.

Will send them an offer and book an inspection with MTA or Stateroads on Saturday, hopefully voting is not going to take too much time.

• Like 1

Well, if you want a genuine 2008 SP Coupe with factory cruise control and a few other bits and pieces, mine has done a genuine 105k kilometres. Silver in colour. I would take $25000. Has MCA Blue series suspension, 20" wheels with near new Nittos on them.

Serviced every 10000km since I imported it through Iron Chef at 58000km. Fully synthetic oil used at every change.

post-9125-0-40741400-1467108169_thumb.jpg

Long story short, I found a car, loved it, then owners told me they purchased it off Prestige Auto Centre. Odometer was wound back for 80,000 kms.

The car was advertised by him as having 22k kms, the couple purchased it, did another 21k, so the car has literally done more than 120k kms. No major service was done in Australia (and I have nothing to track its past from Japan), only 2 minor services conducted in the past 3 years (and 21k km travelled), exhaust has some surface rust.

You can take a read in this post I made at another section of the forum.

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/465513-a-new-story-about-our-friend-dimitri-and-prestige-auto-center/

I'm now left in a very awkward position; really love the car for its condition, but feeling very insecure about its true condition.

Could anyone give me a rough figure on how much I will need to set aside for:

- Full fluid change (trans, diff, brake, engine, coolant, what else?)

- Water pump (I thought they need to be changed at 100,000k?)

- Spark plugs (NGK platimum maybe - I bought a set of 6 for my last V35 and they cost like $24 each)

- Pre-purchase inspection

So I can go back to them with a sensible figure? At the moment I'm guessing that doing all the above will cost me $1,500 (plugs $150+, water pump $250+, fluid $900+, inspection $200).

Also could someone tell me if the rust looks very serious in this case? I have the impression that they are mostly surface rust and I can easily get rid of them by getting a nice custom system installed.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Let me get this straight... you've found mutton dressed as lamb... and you're still considering purchasing this??

As if this is the only 370GT available... Move on!

Prestige Auto are no better than Edward Lees.

Hi George,

I appreciate your reply and I know you are a pro when it comes to importing cars.

I am just in an urgent need of a car to prepare for three important shows in August.

If you remember I used to wrap my v35 in red, but realized this is not a feasible solution after 1.5 years. So I definitely need a red one, and there are only a few examples within my budget. I had inspected every one of them Except the best one, but the owner completely lost contact since 11 June. Last message I had from him was he was in China and will be back the next day, and I never heard back from him. Kinda got me worried lol... His phone went into voicemail and never answered emails. I even asked iron chef to help me locate him (as iron chef brought the car in) but no replies either.

I know the reason is quite stupid but it is one of those things I really cherish - the car shows I do is called itasha which is a popular car scene in Japan, and I ran the very first exhibition last year, and I just want to push this scene further this year. I dedicated a lot of time and effort in it and I could not afford to wait for him to possibly get internet access again in China.

• Like 1