SAU Community

I'm looking at M35s (VQ35) - Opinions sought.

Steve85

Hi all,

I am, currently in the market to buy a wagon, and am looking at the M35 Stagea with a VQ35de under the bonnet.

I am primarily buying this car to replace my Falcon ute as I need something to carry my push bikes and daughter around in and my ute is bit, well, sad might be the right term (equal parts reliable and uncomfortable).

With that said I will be looking at this car on the weekend and would be keen to get feedback from the forum: http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Stagea-2004/SSE-AD-4032193/?Cr=25

Happy to take the good and the bad feedback here. 

Off the top of my head, the only downsides I can think of to owning a PM35 would be a) insurance costs b) no turbo c) no AWD d) fuel economy (around 11L/100kms)

Also, don't tow anything overly heavy (I see it has a towbar). They are not a strong towing car.

These cars are genuinely great cars and aside from the above points (a & b), there is literally nothing I dislike about mine and it is great to be able to fit the wife, 2 kids (with car seats), 2 large dogs and luggage in comfortably. Have a look around the site for similar threads and also the following thread to reference what you can fit in these things:

Coming from a Falcon Ute? Get it, love it. You won't look back.

• Like 1

@iamhe77, thanks for the feedback. Appreciate the help. 

I've done the ring around on insurance. RACV will be ok (but only had one 2004 generic stagea as listed, took a while to work out if this car was covered), looks like it will cost about $900 a year for full comp (30yo, rating 1). So i'm ok with that.

And the fuel sounds like it will be the same as the ute right now. I believe these things have traction control so no awd isn't going to be a problem and as a bonus it will weigh considerably less. 

We have a 530i wagon (in my avatar) that we use as our hauler. It's been an amazing car, if the Stagea even comes close, it'll be awesome. Really it just needs to fit my bikes (i'm quite tall so they are also large). And towing, nope, pass on that. That's what utes are for...

So looking good then... :)

It's not that i dislike AWD, but i have never had a need for it so far in my driving life. It's just that this car is at what looks to be a good price point and does everything I think i'll need it to.

*Edit, i'm really just trying to make sure i don't get blindsided with a car that has issues... I'll also be getting it checked by an independent company (State-Roads, i've used them before).

Edited by Steve85

Ok, so good news, bad news.

I went and looked at the Stagea in the ad above. 

Good news: It looked great, it drove great, the interior was in good condition. It was perfect for what i needed.

Bad news: I don't fit in the car properly. I could not get comfortable and the top of the seat ended at the bottom of my shoulder blades... This car is (was) going to be my daily driver and bike transportation unit, so it was going to be used an awful lot. 

So unfortunately, i might have to take a look at some different wagons. Thanks for your help on this topic. I'm so disappointed that I don't fit.

***Disclaimer. I'm 2m tall.

39 minutes ago, Steve85 said:

***Disclaimer. I'm 2m tall.

You're going to want to look at aftermarket seats imho, I'm 195cm and fit fine in my Stagea which has a set of Recaro's however in others my head will basically touch the roof. 

At this point in my life I certainly have accepted it. I'm torn now between a Stagea with seats or upgrading my wife into a newer car, so I can have her wagon...

4 hours ago, Steve85 said:

At this point in my life I certainly have accepted it. I'm torn now between a Stagea with seats or upgrading my wife into a newer car, so I can have her wagon...

Haha....I imagine you have :)

Whats her wagon, out of interest?