SAU Community

Removing aftermarket "drift" steering wheel.

Hey guys i recently bought a series 1 r33, it seems to be pretty reliable thus far but it shows signs of folks performing cosmetic enhancements without either much care or knowledge of the the mechanical side. 

Mainly the steering wheel. It's one of those aftermarket "drift" wheels with the silver horn and the yellow stripe at 12oclock. 

First thing i noticed however is that the horn doesnt work.

now i assume it's because the steering wheel does not have the right connections to the car, so i need help to remove the wheel and get in there so i can find a fix, cos f**k paying the mechanics when eveything they know is learnable yourself.

ive heard you can either rewire shit or buy adapters or something im not sure.

But the other thing is that i believe the lack of proper connections is what's causing my hicas light to come on, and also i dont know how removing the wheel will affect the airbags (if any) and the airbag light since it seems to be off and hopefully stays that way.

and will this steering wheel have any affect on how my diagnosis mode is run? 

Thanks in advance, 

i may add to this forum before anyone answers as I remember other issues and questions i have about this  topic 

Ah yess i forgot... What is this bosshicas kit i've heard of? Will installing it in my steeringwheel (potentially) fix the hicas light? 

(I know there's many possible issues for the light but this steeeingwheel seems pretty sus. Like who the f**k goes to that effort and doesn't connect the horn?)

hey mate

i had the light on my old r33 s1 when i brought it got defected it ended up been a hicas lock bar or something along that name get some one who know about them as i had people tell me it could be sensers and they wanted to clean them and all sorts.

with the horn should be easy just take the horn part out and reconnet i.e super cheap or auto barn should be able to surply you the one you need etc

josh

There is a hub behind the wheel for your HICAS that engages the (correct) steering wheel boss. It is a steering wheel position sensor for the HICAS. I had a proper Boss kit for mine when i got my MOMO wheel and ended up having the HICAS light come on above 80km/h. Turns out it was possible to have the boss kit in the wrong spot (the locator for the HICAS hub would fit in 2 spots but one was sloppy). Not sure how i messed it up, but it is possible that you have the right boss kit but not installed correctly. Fixed mine and its been fine ever since.

As for the horn, it will most likely be a wire off etc from the wheel hub to the steering wheel button. Have you tested the horn actually works?

Its easy enough to pull the wheel off. It will be tight on the taper so it wont just fall off but im sure if youve never done it before, a suitable guide will be available on youtube