SAU Community

STOLEN : 1997 (S3) Skyline GTR - White

MUFASA

3 hours ago, Cowboy1600 said:

I'm not saying don't bother with alarms and immobilisers, what I'm saying is in the grand scheme of things they do f**k all.  But you never know, you might get lucky.

Nope with a determined thief who has weighed the risks and understands alarm systems.. for the most part nope they wont do anything. 

Spend the money on the install rather than the hardware and it might be a different story. Like have the installer pull out the dash and install it behind there, rather than cable tied to the steering column like most systems. Have them use factory relays, kill switches, piezo sirens inside the car. There are many ways to skin a cat.

At the end of the day they can always tow truck your car away, but that's pretty rare compared to opportunity thefts, and that's what we should be paying our installer to prevent. 

Car has just been recovered. The cops spotted the car around Mt Waverley and chased it down. The pricks tried to get it on the freeway, but got stuck on the corner of Huntingdale Rd & Waverley Rd due to oncoming traffic, so they ditched the car and did a runner.
At the holding yard now getting dusted for finger prints, so with any luck it should be out in about 48hrs.
Will line up the boys @ Racepace to give it a once over.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the spotting...very much appreciated.
Pics of car as it was getting offloaded (was lucky I got to the holding yard just as they were offloading it)
57a88709a22da_ImageUploadedBySAUCommunit57a88737f288a_ImageUploadedBySAUCommunit
From the quick look I had on the outside all I can see it the rims are badly kerbed...but if that's all that is damaged I will be over the moon.

• Like 12

curious: what happens to insurance if the car is recovered, but deemed undamaged? do you still make a claim (for eg) to replace the wheels? what about costs in getting the car inspected for potential engine or drivetrain damage?

1 hour ago, Leroy Peterson said:

curious: what happens to insurance if the car is recovered, but deemed undamaged? do you still make a claim (for eg) to replace the wheels? what about costs in getting the car inspected for potential engine or drivetrain damage?

You can pay an excess and proceed with a claim and such costs will be covered by insurance. I'm guessing a set of 33R (?) rims won't be worth the excess though, unless the car has mechanical damage.

Dumb f**ks obviously can't even park / drive. Not that I expected much from car thieves.

Yeah...birds is spot on.
Because I was with RACV on there classic insurance the excess is only $300 :-)
Curious now to see how well it stood up the being trashed 24/7 for two days...LOL.

1 hour ago, MUFASA said:

Yeah...birds is spot on.
Because I was with RACV on there classic insurance the excess is only $300 :-)
Curious now to see how well it stood up the being trashed 24/7 for two days...LOL.

Being jap cars, probably faired better than most stolen cars. However, in my experience, if not stealing for parts, they steal these cars to thrash them and them burn/dump them once broken :(

There was a recovered R34 sitting in my mechanic's workshop and the bonnet had a massive heat patch on it. Coilpacks were cooked. I'd definitely get the engine checked for compression etc.

• 2 weeks later...

So engine is toast, because I was running E85 and as a result I ran a bit of timing on it...dumb pricks put 98 in it and because I only have a Power FC, it's not smart enough to pull timing out (also found out the managed 1200kms in 2 days).

Transmission is also gone (the guys at Racepace only put the new box in a few months back)...the must have been flat shifting and all, and being still on run-in oil, I don't think it liked it.

Apart from that, and a few small cosmetic issues aside, it doesn't look to bad.

The engine going, i aren't to sad about it, as the previous build on it was built with 274 cams, so it really didn't start to move till it revved past 5k...insurance should cover me for a standard build then I will top up what's required for a RP build (previous car was built by Benno, so can't speak highly enough of there builds), which I am happy with.

Everything else that's required to be fixed on the car though, I would be expecting insurance to cover me...should get the final word on this tomorrow.

• Like 2

Glad they found your car mate, bloody low life scumbags.

Get a GPS tracking system installed!  Carzon in Dandenong is good. Track LIVE 24/7 via phone app. $15 per month under $500 to install.

• 3 months later...

Any update on your car? I saw your car while mine was being prepped for roadworthy, and then once it had been broken into... Did you take it home in time for Christmas?

Any update on your car? I saw your car while mine was being prepped for roadworthy, and then once it had been broken into... Did you take yours home in time for Christmas?

Yeah...got it back just before they Xmas break.
Just to make sure this doesn't happen again, ended up fitting a decent alarm and a tracker as well.

Insurance paid for a standard build so I bit the bullet and paid the difference for a few goodies while they had it open (rb28, diff, etc).

Been meaning to start a build thread in the project section, so will try to get that done in the next couple of days.

Pic of how it turned up, after I picked it up from the detailer...very happy with how it turned out (the detailing part, not the stolen part...lol)
IMG_1483284092.690527.jpg.e78e364a48d474

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...