SAU Community

rb26 overfuelling and a miss/ping and cel at full boost, miss at 1500 rpms , apexi fc no controller

I will state that i have spent a good while searching the forums before posting this.
I just picked up my 99 stagea 260 rs from port on Monday and drove it the 9xx kms home Tuesday. 

Turns out it was overfuelling pretty bad in pulls from 1-3 gears. I didn't try any other pulls as we took it easy on the way back. So didn't realize until we were 2 hours away from the city and tuning shops. At full boost it makes a ping/miss, it was hard to hear in the car with windows up but almost like a sputtering or metal rattling sound when in a tunnel, was going to blame fuel but it wasn't detonating and i was running 94 oct. The cel was flashing as well when it hit full boost.

The p.o has upped boost to 14lbs/1 bar as well.
It idles great tho today I was playing around and i noticed that at 1500 rpms it makes a noticeable shake  then lessons as you increase the revs. 

Also i should note that after I noticed the apexi bcv (not on the auction sheet) that its running an apexi power fc, with no controller...
 I took the air box apart and cleaned the mafs last night. There was lots of oil in the box and lines going to the compressor. I now have to add a catch can to immediate mods. The mafs looked like they were dipped in chocolate..
So im going to do spark plugs. Before I do that I want to test my ignitor and my coil packs. I took one coil off and it looked in great shape and the spark plug looked new?.

After reading and searching these are what came to mind.
Spark Plugs

-If boost is upped to 14lbs and the plugs were just doneor stock plugs were used I heard that the stock gap is 1.1mm and that running more than 12lbs a gap of 0.8mm is recommended. That could be one cause? I don't know if that would cause the over fuelling? would it trigger the cel? It would explain the miss but not pinging/detonating? also cause the miss at 1500 rpms?

- Bad coil pack or ignitor? My plan is to check them tomorrow i guess either one would cause a miss as well, Tho would that unspent fuel be enough to puff a decent black cloud after a pull?

-Stuck injector?

I now have to order the apeci power fc controller or cable and software,, and the nearest tuner is 900 kms away Or else i would of pulled the code..

Any other ideas. I know a read on the ecu would help with what sensor is going off at full boost

I recommend getting the datalogit device and fixing your tune asap as the CEL on full boost isn't a good sign. If the check engine light flashes really fast it's usually the knock threshold being exceeded on the PFC. If it's not obvious already don't drive it on full boost unless you want to potentially cause more damage.

900 kms is a fair distance from a tuner and I only suggest the datalogit as an alternative to getting it tuned properly because of this. There are a few blokes on here that can help you fix your tune to bring it to a safe level if you are unsure with what you are doing.

The black cloud is probably the insane amount of fuel being pumped in at full load that isn't required. Also exhaust leaks and other things can contribute to increased richness.

Replace fluids, check coilpacks, do the plugs 0.8mm gapped and heat range 7. Lots of oil is not a good sign, means you have ventilation problems with rb26. Keep an eye on the condition and report back as you go through the details. Also run 98 octane not 94.

Thanks breaker
Very obvious. After spending the amount i did and picking it up from port i didn't want to blow it up after the first day. After i seen the cel flash i didn't try to do any pulls or drive it hard. I only hit boost once in a tunnel to try and hear the cel/miss

Will the datalogit work as good as the fc controller? There is a tuner that a couple of my friends use just an hour from town. He's willing to take a look at it if i get a cable and software

The knock threshold would explain the noise as well?

Thanks. I do all the basics when picking up a car from port (third for me) Just haven't got a chance yet.

I can only get 94 in my province and even country. Most guys here will tune for 91/shell v power as even 94 can be scarce especially  heading east or west or north.... I'm not one for adding octane booster
I will report back.

On 8/16/2016 at 4:05 PM, GonzoGTR said:

Will the datalogit work as good as the fc controller? There is a tuner that a couple of my friends use just an hour from town. He's willing to take a look at it if i get a cable and software

Datalogit does more than the FC hand controller because it can log your parameters over a longer period. It would take you a while to get it so a good tune on a dyno would be your next move. Here is the low down:

http://www.fc-datalogit.co.nz/

• Like 1

On 8/15/2016 at 4:11 AM, breaker1845 said:

Replace fluids, check coilpacks, do the plugs 0.8mm gapped and heat range 7. Lots of oil is not a good sign, means you have ventilation problems with rb26. Keep an eye on the condition and report back as you go through the details. Also run 98 octane not 94.

Well i got the plugs ordered. I checked all the coil packs with a friend. All coils were at the 0.9 ohms mark, the ignitor passed the test when checking for resistance and then no resistance/open line. We only took the back plug off for now and it looked in good shape tho it was gapped around the 1.0mm mark, and was copper. The miss at 1500 was still noticeable and present. I'm going to try and retest the coil packs before the plugs get here on Thursday. In a few weeks i should have the data loggit and can pull off any codes from there as well...

I came across a vacuum line attached to the head that looked like it went to the stock boost gauge sensor? It was unattached and was sucking in air. Im also going to replace all my vacuum lines whni do the plugs as they were all britttle and i could hear a noticeable exhaust or vacuum leak

spark plugs have changed to a ngk bcpr7eix from a cheap coppr plug. Still hasn't fixed the miss. It's really noticeable above idle. Holding it at 1500 rpms in neutral you can hear the pop from the miss and the you can fell the steering wheel shake from the vibration of the miss. I'm not sure what my options are left to me. I did the plugs, checked the coil packs and ignitor. I'm going to test the injectors and the tps. Tho I'm not sure if either one would give me the miss?

The 4wd light has started to come one and the front torque gauge wont read. I've read that the tps failing or over volting can cause issues with the injectors and everything else. I'm not sure tho if it would attribute to the miss

• Like 1

Its not really possible to test the coil packs with a meter. If they are the originals they almost certainly need replacing with either genuine OEM or Splitfires. Did you gap the new plugs down to 0.8mm? Miss at 1500 can be CAS. Take it off and rotate it by hand - if bearings are gone you will feel roughness as you spin it. Pressure test the induction system for boost leaks.

We tested them off of a video testing r32 coil packs for resistance. The plugs I got are bcpr7eix so they are already gapped to 0.8mm. The miss is at any rev, just more noticeable at 1500 and not as noticeable over 2000. Tho i may pick up a set of coil packs to be safe. Thanks ill try the cas and been waiting to get a friends shop to do a pressure test. It runs better after the vaccum lines and spark plugs but still misfires. The 4wd light keeps coming on and in a few other cases it had to do with a faulty tps?

• 8 months later...

Just because someone made a  video on how to test coil packs means it is a valid way of testing coil packs.

As kiwi said you can't test them.