SAU Community

Lighten flywheel Help.

Hi guys I'm looking at getting a lighten flywheel for my s15 ADM could you guys recommend me some good choices and how much they are ?, would i be able to get them locally or do i have to order it from overseas?, should I also be looking at getting anything else to support the lighten flywheel ?. A mate of mine said that I should look at getting light weight pulleys and harmonic balancer as well. I just want to be able to rev faster as I'm currently still using the stock flywheel and it just way too slow and heavy for me. I'm currently running a exedy hd clutch. 
How light would you guys recommend ? I don't want to go too light and have to worry about stuff breaking ect.

Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated. 
Cheers.

You could try the SAU traders to see if any of them sell them, or just google.

You dont need to change anything else when you get one.

Lightweight pulleys? A wank unless you're trying to get the last 10 10ths in a race situation

Lightweight harmonic balancer? Not sure if that's even a thing. The weight along with the stiffness of the rubber will be tuned to dampen the vibrations most effectively, so it if is a thing there may be the significant downside of not protecting your motor as well.

Slow and heavy? I fear you might expect something from the lightened flywheel it cannot deliver. Also, are you aware of, and willing to accept, the downside of a lighter flywheel? I went for a lightened (5.5kg) one when i got rid of the Giken twin plate monster. If I had a stock flywheel i would have just used that (10kgs FWIW).

Suggest you spend your money elsewhere, as it will probably be a better investment. If you really must have a lightened flywheel get it next time the clutch gets replaced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trex said:

he said he wants it to rev faster...

And you do realise that that does not explicitly mean "increase revs faster"?  With the most simple and obvious interpretation it just means "rotate faster" which means spin to higher rpm.  I chose that interpretation because of the apparent school holiday vibe.

I just got the car and the seller just put in brand new exedy clutch and master cyl as well. 
I had a lighten fly on my dc5r and it revved so much easier and freely I love it.....
But the s15 is just not as responsive.... its really slow trying to rev lol hence why i wanted to get a lighter fly for it. 

Edited by Kei_ayanami

On 8/22/2016 at 6:59 PM, Kei_ayanami said:

Hi guys I'm looking at getting a lighten flywheel for my s15 ADM could you guys recommend me some good choices and how much they are ?, would i be able to get them locally or do i have to order it from overseas?, should I also be looking at getting anything else to support the lighten flywheel ?. A mate of mine said that I should look at getting light weight pulleys and harmonic balancer as well. I just want to be able to rev faster as I'm currently still using the stock flywheel and it just way too slow and heavy for me. I'm currently running a exedy hd clutch. 
How light would you guys recommend ? I don't want to go too light and have to worry about stuff breaking ect.

Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated. 
Cheers.

now for a more serious reply...

your mate is an idiot.

leave it alone, no lightened pulleys, no fly wheels... buy a proper exhaust system, improved your cooling mods, get an aftermarket ecu OR even a Nistune (I can supply), get it tuned.. even with stock injectors, stock afm, stock coils and a new fuel pump with the fuel pressure relief valve removed and 1bar of boost you'll make about 190~210kW depending on motor health and dyno.

I'm sure you'll toast all your homo Honda mates.. even though it "doesn't rev quick".