SAU Community

ECU for auto +t

ECU for auto +t

I've been looking at getting a NEO DET auto ECU to do a +t. I know there's lots more to it than that, injectors etc. but there's lots of info on that. I'm interested in my ECU options other than just a piggy back. From the service manual the NEO DET ECU will have the auto trans controller in it. My DE has an external trans controller so I guess there'd be some rewiring involved to ignore the external one. But can I widen my options and look at getting a NEO DET ECU from a manual and wire it to use the existing external auto trans ECU that's on my DE already? If this is possible it widens my choice as these ECUs don't come up often and it would mean a manual conversion later would be part way there. Could the chip with the fuel/timing data even be desoldered from a manual DET ecu and put in the auto DE ecu?

Thanks.

Thanks Dan. I'm not sure exactly what you mean about the Auto ECU actually being more trouble than the manual one but no worries - you've still answered my question so that's great. My simple way of thinking about it was that either way, the loom on my DE won't have the transmission related wires going to the relevant pins on the DET Auto ECU so those features won't get activated. And with the manual ECU I figured that as it won't be expecting any auto related wires anyway it will play happily with my loom's connections that all go to the external TCM.

I just went back and re-read the +t thread you started back in 2004. Someone said that 'the GTT ECU goes a bit haywire as it understandably cannot detect any boost.' Nothing more was said about it but no-one else seems to have an issue with that so I guess it's not a real problem. The pinouts for the ECU do list pin 47 as turbo pressure signal but is that just for the gauge?