SAU Community

240z with an RB30DET, Vic roads registration issues

240z with an RB30DET, Vic roads registration issues

Dear Sau Community,

I am planning on swapping an RB30DET into a 240z. I was wondering if anyone can see any blatant breaches of any VicRoads or Epa laws? I have read on here a Skyline with an RB30DET is illegal due to a modern Skylines emission standards and how it is a larger engine. I see the reasons that were explained there but do they still apply to a much older 240z? I plan on getting an RB30E engine block and replacing the head with a twin cam one from an RB25 skyline. Due to the engine being newer, having EFI, possessing double the valves, crossflow design and a better spark plug position it would be much more environmentally friendly than an older carburated engine despite it being 0.6L bigger than the L24. Does anyone know if the EPA has an issue with this? Maybe some turbocharging action could come later but for now, the swap is the biggest issue. It would also be very much appreciated to hear from anyone knows someone or has done it themselves who has tried and either failed or succeeded, your knowledge on the topic would be a great help. Also, anyone who has a completely legal RB swap in an S30 would be awesome too. 

I wait for your replies with bated breath.

Regards,

JSBlueGuy

Being a newer engine you would have to retain the newer engines pollution equipment and comply with those emissions standards. Doing a hybrid 25/30 opens up another can of worms with epa as this is not an oe engine that was ever tested for emissions. Which ever way you go, to be legal, an engineers certificate will be required and possibly an exprnsive emissions test. If i was you I would just register the car with stock engine and then do whatever conversion you feel like and to hell with legalities and the epa.

Thanks admS15 for such a quick reply.

Do you think an RB25 or RB26 would be a better option? I initially chose the RB30 due to the availability, strength of stock components and the extra torque and power associated with a large 3L. With my goal being only around 400whp/300wkw when all done and dusted the RB30 seemed like the ideal engine but with all the extra hassle involved would a smaller RB be a better choice?

From a legal point of view. Would make no difference. I would go with the rb30. To keep it simple you could even leave the 30 head on it. Although a 25 head will be better. I would rather a stock 30 over a stock 25, as you said capacity and torque.

From a legal point of view. Would make no difference. I would go with the rb30. To keep it simple you could even leave the 30 head on it. Although a 25 head will be better. I would rather a stock 30 over a stock 25, as you said capacity and torque.

Eh? Wouldn't a 25 or 26 be easier to engineer as it's an oem engine. Yes it will need engineers but it will just be to check the oem engine has its emission controls in place including stock ecu.

The 25/30 was never oem and hence no emission controls approved for it.
  • Like 1

Eh? Wouldn't a 25 or 26 be easier to engineer as it's an oem engine. Yes it will need engineers but it will just be to check the oem engine has its emission controls in place including stock ecu.

The 25/30 was never oem and hence no emission controls approved for it.

Which is why I said to leave the 30 head on it.

Good point but if you get pulled over by old mate petterd and he looks at your engine number, your screwed then aren't you. My advice to the op is to engineer an rb30 et engine and just upgrade that since he wants legal.

If it was my own car, I wouldn't engineer anything unless I was forced to. I would register the car with its stock l24 or whatever they come out with and then go to town with a conversion. Keep the thing quiet, not too low and avoid driving through Knox and hardparking at hwy meets but hey that's just me[emoji3]

I get the impression the op wants 100% legal. That's the only reason I'm saying rb30. The 25/30 can be done but will be extra headaches. Really all depends how far he is prepared to go.

Thanks everyone for their inputs,

I really appreciate the enthusiasm of your responses and it highlights that you're all very passionate about helping other fans of Nissan. When getting stopped by a police officer do they check the engine numbers and such or do they only check the appearance of the engine? What extent do they go to when checking that everything is in order? Preferably, I would like it to be legal although larger injectors, boost controller and a fuel pressure regulator will be used. If an obscuring valve cover were be used would they be able to do anything as it covers the head so much that it is not known with certainty the head being used?

Thanks again everyone for your replies, it's very much appreciated.

Regards,

JSBlueGuy

No problem, we are happy to try and help out. In my experience I have never had a cop go looking for engine numbers and the like. The most I have had them do is check height, tyres, loudness to the ear and the obvious things. In saying that, I tend to try and keep my cars as standard looking as possible under the bonnet and avoid known cop hotspots. Also try not to be too much of a hoon and if I do get pulled up, not be a smart arse.

I was recently pulled up at a booze bus and as soon as Mr hwy patrol saw the skyline coming, he started charging over and asking questions about my roll bar, who installed it, bolt or weld in,is it engineered. I answered with I did, bolt, and unengineered. He then said I needed to put thicker padding on it and let me go. Moral is, if your car is neat, not overly loud, not too low,has good tyres, not screaming for attention and your not acting like a tool, cops generally leave you alone. There is a few out there though who won't turn a blind eye to anything and know their stuff. Fortunately I haven't had the displeasure of meeting 1 of them.

Since your car is a classic, I think you'll even get more leniency from them.

No bonnet popping, he just had a quick outside visual. I didn't get smart with him in any way. I'm pretty lucky he didn't go through the whole car. I've seen the same cop at that booze bus site putting plenty of skylines and dumped commodores off the road. I was expecting an epa letter in the mail but it's been a couple months and it's been all good.

I've had same experience, they looked at ride height, external gate plumbed back in , BOV plumbed in and tyres.  Most cops have admired the car and its condition.

What im not sure about and havn't had experience with is the queensland transport inspectors that i see driving around in commodore utes. Anyone been pursued by them or is it just the random roadside setups that they get you? Id hate to live in vic, terrible place to own a performance car.

Sorry everyone for the long break, I've been considering my options. If I were to install any RB (25, 26, 30, 30/25) would I need to be emissions tested as the engine was never oem installed in the car or would a stock RB (no head swap) with all stock emissions equipment be satisfactory?

Thanks anybody for your replies. 

Sorry everyone for the long break, I've been considering my options. If I were to install any RB (25, 26, 30, 30/25) would I need to be emissions tested as the engine was never oem installed in the car or would a stock RB (no head swap) with all stock emissions equipment be satisfactory?

Thanks anybody for your replies. 

Any stock oem engine fitted which wasn't originally available in the car will have to be engineered. An engineer will inspect that the engine has retained its emission controls (ie standard ecu)

As you will be running an oem engine with all oem emissions / controls then there is no need for an emissions test.