SAU Community

R33 cold start

RB_purr

R33 cold start

Hey guys does anyone here that runs a PFC get a delayed cold start?

By this I mean you have started your car from cold operating temp and usually cold start kicks in almost immediately but for some reason mine can take a few minutes sometimes...

This isn't a issue for me more so it's just annoying I can only assume either it's something to do with the Power FC or perhaps a dodgy cold start valve?

thoughts? 

do you mean it idles low initially, and then the idle rises as the car starts to warm up? that's not a problem with PFCs, its a problem with your tune, or air or fuel mechanical system.

it may be running too rich until the water temp rises and pulls fuel out, is it also missing at first?

Can you put a wideband in it? Easiest thing would be to watch the AFR in real time and see if it changes when the problem goes away. That way you know the problem and it will make it easier to find the cause

Engine idles at normal idle speed upon starting then sometimes can take a while to kick up to around 1200rpm 

i may be able to check AFR through the hand controller but try to avoid messing around with it in case something goes wrong but I'll be sure to look into it 

not gonna lie I'm pretty pissed about the tuning job that was done had to take the car back to the tuning shop because they failing to tune the AC on and AC off values in the pfc causing the car to stall upon turning the AC on ?

Cheers for the replies 

You can't see AFR through the hand controller you need a separate wide band to do that.

If your AC is causing the car to stall at idle it's too lean. So most likely your cold start is probably alright and it has a shit tune for idle.

AC puts a fair bit of load on the engine so takes a bit of fiddling to get it to run properly.

Easy to fix if you have the equipment to do so.

I'm pretty sure the power fc has a self tune mode for idle and ac idle. It's been a while since I've had one but from memory you leave the car idling for around 10m and then turn lights on and ley idle again, then ac on and idle again. If you google, you shall be able to find the exact instructions on how to do that. May or may not fix your issue but definitely worth a shot. You can do it yourself and it's free.

well the sad fact is that cold start tuning is a little fiddly compared to the easy stuff (full throttle power runs). Lots of tuners don't give it enough attention and I'd guess that's what happened here.  The good news is it is easily fixed by a competent tuner with a little time, and there's nothing wrong with PFC capabilities...