SAU Community

r34 GTT brake upgrade

stranger12

r34 GTT brake upgrade

Hi Guys,

I have set of EBC 310 grooved and dimpled on my r34GTT

I installed it with ebc red stuff and I have to say brake performance is fu***ing sh*t

I think my kia picanto 1 liter is better than the skyline. I also changed the fluid to dot4 racing from castrol.

My hope is that I need to bleed the system and brake is ok. I have been lazy to do it as have hardly drived the car but I am using it frequently now.

I almost crashed it another day by failing to stop. it gets very soft and goes further down when braking hard .

Anyways, whilst I am going to do the bleeding , I thought I also change the caliper and rear discs to groved/dimpled.

It is the standard size of 310 at front and 295mm at back. would you invest £600 on pair of GTR brembo or change the disc to 350mm and get evo10 caliper and disc?

I spent in excess of £400 on the disc and the pads last time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stranger12 said:

That is the typical answer!

i have and been searching, i have seen evo10 355 may fit 

has anyone done it?

If you have been searching why are posting in the forced induction section instead of "suspension, braking and tyres" where there is a whole sticky on brake pads and the first post is on R34 GTT brakes? And a free tip - use Google for searching this site... and do the research before you spend the big bucks rather than after.

User error.

No way you're even going past the GT-t braking capabilities on the street. Many people use the same setup on their track cars and they seem to stop so there's no way you can possibly exceed their capabilities on the street.

Hey if you're keen on frying cash and funding any reason to do so, then that great but if you can't get a set of 310mm brakes to work then even a set of 350mm Evo brakes won't save you from installation error.

• Like 2

I understand but I want to fix the brakes and ensure it is capable of stopping a 300rwkw car so hence the reason for my post

I was thinking to get gtr brembo caliper which are quite expensive

evo calipers are cheaper so I think it is a wise investment to change caliper and discs to evo 10

would i gain 25-30 braking power compared to original skyline?

Work out the current problem before going and wasting more money. Good pads, rotors, fluid and braided lines will stop a 300kw car no worries at all as long as they have been installed correctly

I upgraded the puny brakes on my heavy 320AWKW  Stagea  with GTT brakes and it was perfectly adequate on the street and even on the track for the first few laps. I only replaced them later for the track - would have been fine for street use.

Buy proper pads and discs, I owned EBC stuff too but for an S13 and OEM pads are way better than EBC shit. Rotors doesn't seem to be any better, they are way too hard so they just heat up and warp instead of slowing down the car.

cool, how do you guys bleed it using abs module ?

I don't have a software that can activate it , I normally bleed, drive for few hundred miles and bleed again in hope of all air from abs is bleed that way

I went ahead and bought set of evo 9 brembo calipers, it was £450 for two calipers rebuild plus red stuff pads

it looks cheap to me, how can I ensure it is actually evo 9 calipers and it is brembo ?

The brembo logo seems to be a paint only so anyone can fake. The guys claims he has also changed all of the pistons

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262612438947?_trksid=p2060353.m2748.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I can cancel it if it seems fake to you guys

Edited by stranger12

No idea whether or not they are genuine but as about 4 or 5 people have told you there is nothing wrong with GTT brakes if you bleed them properly and use some decent pads. if you go to the brake forum you will see info on how to bleed your brakes properly (needs two people for best results).

Are u getting a larger master cylinder to go with the larger calipers? Are u also getting larger discs ? They won't b any good if they r not installed correctly again.
Have u even taken it to a proper mechanic to even have a look at your problem?

yes I am getting bigger master cylinder later.

I just want to improve it now and know my brakes can break my neck if needed :)

I do everything on the car myself and know it needs bleeding but hardly use the car and now want to change it anyway for above reason

I will then change the backs to 350 as well in the future