SAU Community

HKB boss kit (what is this part?)

Hi! I Just recieved my new Personal Neo Grinta steering wheel today and a HKB Hicas sports III non airbag hub (ON-177) to my Skyline r33 gtst series1. I think I have figured out were everything goes except for one thing. Can someone here tell me what this part is and where it goes? im referring to the small silver ring to the right in the picture. The bigger one to the left I believe is a horn adapter? I have googled for hours but didn't find anything about this smaller ring.

So If anyone here have a indentical Boss kit or can tell me what it is i'll be happy.

Thanks.

IMG_8266.JPG

It might be a washer, but in other hkb boss kits it's not included. This ring only seems to come with the non airbag boss kit?

Edited by KLA33E

This is were im at currently. Is it not suposed to have a connection somewhere for the horn? Guess it dosen't matter though because I have my hornbutton on the dash.

Also haven't seen anyone changed their non airbag skyline r33 steering wheel so can't really tell if somethings missing?

image.jpg

10 hours ago, KLA33E said:

This is were im at currently. Is it not suposed to have a connection somewhere? I have my hornbutton on the dash.

But should the clock spring even look like that on an r33? :O There is nothing to it, How will the hicas know my steering input?

I may ad that my steering goes randomly Heavy sometimes, even before i changed my steering Wheel. When this happens if I turn the car off and on again usually the steering goes light again.

image.jpg

Edited by KLA33E

It looks like you are missing half of the steering angle sensor assembly. When you take the wheel off, there should be a plastic hub that rotates on the part in your photo. The plastic hub has a part that protrudes and engages the boss kit, when the steering wheel turns, the plastic hub turns (obviously there are contacts etc inside it that rotate on the rings that are shown in your photo).

Is it possible that a previous owner or someone that has worked on the car has broken the hub and just thrown it back together? It will definitely not work how it is. Unless the other half is still on the steering wheel?

9 minutes ago, 89CAL said:

Here's the part diagram out of FAST, it shows what I'm talking about. It has a plug in it for the horn and the bit that spins with the boss kit

Steering%20Sensor_zpsnxgosmyv.jpg

Thank you! 

Yes it must be a previous owner, because I definitely dosen't have that part! So can I just buy a new steering angle sensor and replace it? What suprises me though is that my steering has been fine for the most part. My hicas bulb has also been removed so can't see if the light stays on or not.

I changed my steering wheel to a MOMO one years ago from a factory one and while I was away at tafe it used to play up on the highway after 5 mins of driving. The light came on but I don't think anything really happened to the way it drove.

I had put the right boss kit on but it had a few different slots etc cut into it and hadn't put it on the right way, So all I had to do was move it to the right spot and it was fine. I would go to an import wrecker or phone one and get a second hand part, I bet a new one would cost heaps lol. I can look how much it is when I'm home

I changed my steering wheel to a MOMO one years ago from a factory one and while I was away at tafe it used to play up on the highway after 5 mins of driving. The light came on but I don't think anything really happened to the way it drove.

I had put the right boss kit on but it had a few different slots etc cut into it and hadn't put it on the right way, So all I had to do was move it to the right spot and it was fine. I would go to an import wrecker or phone one and get a second hand part, I bet a new one would cost heaps lol. I can look how much it is when I'm home