SAU Community

GTR Steering Heavy With Consult Connected

GoneGoose

GTR Steering Heavy With Consult Connected

I have been having some problems with the power steering in my R32 GTR when a Consult device is connected since I imported it a year ago and I am finally trying to get it sorted out. I have searched the forum and found a few related topics, but so far nothing has been able to fix the issue so I figured I would start my own thread with the hope that someone can help. Unhooking the HICAS ECU and/or cutting the green wire on the smaller plug were both recommended fixes from other threads that did not help in my case.

The issue is whenever I connect a device to the consult port the steering gets really heavy. I have tried various things with the HICAS ECU (since that was the typical culprit according to other threads) with no luck. Removing the HICAS ECU completely actually makes things worse, despite the fact that I have already removed the rest of the HICAS components (installed an eliminator kit a few months back).

I did a number of drive tests last night to try to narrow down the exact circumstances and have it listed out below. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

With NO Consult Device:
HICAS ECU Stock - Steering Normal
HICAS ECU Small Plug Removed - Steering Normal
HICAS ECU Both Plugs Removed - Steering Immediately Heavy
HICAS ECU Green Wire Cut - Steering Normal

With Consult Device Connected:
HICAS ECU Stock - Steering Heavy After 5-10 Minutes of Driving
HICAS ECU Small Plug Removed - Steering Heavy After 5-10 Minutes of Driving
HICAS ECU Both Plugs Removed - Steering Immediately Heavy
HICAS ECU Green Wire Cut - Steering Heavy After 5-10 Minutes of Driving

Edit: Additional information that might be helpful. The steering wheel appears to be stock, but when I have the consult device connected and check Data Scan it shows the HICAS sensor is way out of place. Although if that was the issue I would think I would always have a problem, instead of only having a problem when a consult device is connected. 

Edited by GoneGoose

An important point first.  The HICAS computer is required in order to give the power steering rack solenoid the PWM signal it needs to weight the steering.  If you remove it then you get no assistance.  This explains why pulling both plugs results in instant heavy steering.

Everything else points to the Consult device being the cause of the problem.  Without it you are fine.  With it you are not.  The time taken for the steering to go heavy is approximately the standard time it takes for the HICAS computer to crack the shits whenever it detects a fault it can't deal with.  For example, missing steering angle sensor.  I suggest that what is happening is that your Consult device is injecting something into the comms bus that is upsetting the HICAS computer.

Try a different scan tool from someone else.  See if it still occurs.  if it does, then it's not your tool specifically, it may be a wiring fault or something similar, related to the Consult plug on the car.

1 hour ago, Missileman said:

What brand consult cable are you connecting your computer with?

Don't really see a brand on it. The only writing is "NISSAN-14". It connects via USB cable. Should be this adapter. Nissan-14

47 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

An important point first.  The HICAS computer is required in order to give the power steering rack solenoid the PWM signal it needs to weight the steering.  If you remove it then you get no assistance.  This explains why pulling both plugs results in instant heavy steering.

Everything else points to the Consult device being the cause of the problem.  Without it you are fine.  With it you are not.  The time taken for the steering to go heavy is approximately the standard time it takes for the HICAS computer to crack the shits whenever it detects a fault it can't deal with.  For example, missing steering angle sensor.  I suggest that what is happening is that your Consult device is injecting something into the comms bus that is upsetting the HICAS computer.

Try a different scan tool from someone else.  See if it still occurs.  if it does, then it's not your tool specifically, it may be a wiring fault or something similar, related to the Consult plug on the car.

That you for the detailed response. While I agree that the Consult device is the "final straw" so to speak, I likely still have a problem with the HICAS system in some way, but I didn't want to make my wall of text into an even bigger wall of text so I left some of it out. If you are curious about the additional detail of the problem, it is mentioned in the thread linked below from last year.

After installing the HICAS eliminator the steering wheel no longer moves off center, but the HICAS light still comes on (probably normal with an eliminator) and the sensor still won't read as centered with the stock steering wheel (if you trust the information I am getting from the Nissan DataScan software).

I suppose in either case, the next step is to test with a different Consult device, and/or a different HICAS ECU. Not that either will be easy to come by where I live. Thanks again.

Edited by GoneGoose

3 hours ago, GoneGoose said:

Don't really see a brand on it. The only writing is "NISSAN-14". It connects via USB cable. Should be this adapter. Nissan-14

That will be the problem for sure, open up the device and count how many wires are going to the pins where it connects to plug next to the fuse box. There should only be 5 wires, some of those cheap epay consult connectors have 6 wires, search consult pin-layout to find which wire needs to be sniped or unplugged. From memory mine was the blue wire, but I would recommend you use the diagram and multi-meter to be sure, or buy a PLMS cable   http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/consult_if.shtml

Mike. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Missileman said:

That will be the problem for sure, open up the device and count how many wires are going to the pins where it connects to plug next to the fuse box. There should only be 5 wires, some of those cheap epay consult connectors have 6 wires, search consult pin-layout to find which wire needs to be sniped or unplugged. From memory mine was the blue wire, but I would recommend you use the diagram and multi-meter to be sure, or buy a PLMS cable   http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/consult_if.shtml

Mike. 

If you ever find yourself in my part of the world I owe you a beer. I was able to confirm the blue wire was the extra wire inside my adapter and cut it. Everything seems to be functioning as it should be now. Thank you for the help.