SAU Community

Should I buy a GTR?

shadow85

Should I buy a GTR?

GTR is basically my dream car. But need ask a few questions here to see if it is for me. I know you would have to be a welathy person to own and drive a GTR. But I would like to know what are the running costs for a GTR, like servicing and insurance, would it be for me? I only have an income of $50K a year, but it is basically all disposable to me, koz I live with parents.

I currently own a 370Z MY15, and was planning on spending $20-30K upgrading it to TT with hopefully around 450-500whp. But then I thought, since there are used GTRs going for under $100K, I could sell my Z, for around $40K, save upto $30K (by April) and borrow $30K from the banks to buy a used GTR.

But obviously I would need to know if this will work for me, the GTR will be my daily, and maybe track it a few times a year. If I break something in it, would I be looking at massive costs?

I love my Z but should I upgrade to the bigger brother, or just put some steroids into my Z and keep it?

Thanks for any help people.

Tempting as it may be at 50k a year I'd suggest a car is not the best investment you could make.

Pretty much any car can run you 10k a year in finance/insurance/upkeep/fuel plus mods on top - and a GTR is not 'any car'. Not a cheap game and you'll basically never see any of that money again.

Not a a dig but when are you planning on moving out on your own? That's not cheap either..

• Like 1

If you have to ask. No. I assume you are referring to an R35. Just some food for thought. New discs and pads will set you back around 5k when they need replacing. Early r35's had transmission issues. If it breaks your looking at big dollars to fix that. The same rule that applies to any gtr applies here. If you can't afford to buy 2 then you can't afford to run 1.

VQ37TT 370Z ftw[emoji3]

Lol Ok probably not for me. Just tempting koz cars are my life lol n ofcourse the GTR is a dream. Only reason why I was tempted was because I know people who go and get $30K loans on cars alone, so I was thinking of doing it to get a GTR. I bought my new Z last year outrite.

So GTR maybe later when I am making more money. For now I will keep the Z and TT.

:)

Edited by shadow85

I do love my Z, next fanciest thing after the GTR ;) lol

Only reason why I didn't wait was because last year when i bought the Z, I just got my license back after a 3 yr disqualification lol so I couldn't wait any longer.

11 minutes ago, niZmO_Man said:

Doesn't matter, had GT-R.

unlike R32's, R33's, R34's... the R35 isnt going to appreciate for a while yet. so finance on a 7+ yro "supercar" thats going to be daily driven, probably not garaged, occasionally track used, and potentially worth $10k+ less over a few years.

But i guess its no different from buying any new car. just because other people get $30k loans for a car, doesnt mean its a good idea. people dont usually boast too often about not owing finance on a car, but you can certainly hang shit on people who do owe.

I have to agree with a few others here, if you can't really afford the car without a loan, it's not going to be the best decision for you at this time.

I waited for 10 years to buy my dream car (E60 M5). It was awesome, but it cost a fortune to run over 2 years (like 20k fortune), i don't have it now and have moved onto my next dream car. Of course i'm assuming that everyone here has about 10 "dream cars" that they all want. It's best to be sure you can afford something than to find out you cannot.

I'm sure Skylines aren't as bad as the M5 was (I hope, having just bought one), but it's my opinion that these should be your second car, for nice days and drives for leisure. Not something you still owe money on.

Anyways, my two cents...

Since this thread actually got some traction, I'll ask here. .

- I know sound is subjective and also hard to really rate via youtube clips and the like, but is it just me or does the 35 sound really underwhelming even with an exhaust? 

- For those of you with a MY11 onwards, what sort of gearbox issues are you seeing, if any?

- For people with at least an exhaust, intakes, tune etc, what sort of power are you seeing and how does that fair against similarly powered earlier model GT-Rs - does the gearbox really make up for the extra kerb weight? 

20 hours ago, Steve85 said:

I have to agree with a few others here, if you can't really afford the car without a loan, it's not going to be the best decision for you at this time.

I waited for 10 years to buy my dream car (E60 M5). It was awesome, but it cost a fortune to run over 2 years (like 20k fortune), i don't have it now and have moved onto my next dream car. Of course i'm assuming that everyone here has about 10 "dream cars" that they all want. It's best to be sure you can afford something than to find out you cannot.

I'm sure Skylines aren't as bad as the M5 was (I hope, having just bought one), but it's my opinion that these should be your second car, for nice days and drives for leisure. Not something you still owe money on.

Anyways, my two cents...

Well, from my experience, running a Skyline costs an arm and a leg, especially if you track it. And mine's not even a GT-R...

Sell the lot..........blow it on booze, ice, and hookers!!!

Personally an R35 is a dream.......affordable, but excessive.  Lots of us could afford one if we were of single purpose, but our practical nature takes over and we buy a station wagon, Commodore, falcon, camry, Twin cab 4wd and house etc.  And then have an earlier model Skyline as our weekender.  Driving an R35 would send me to the grave worrying about shopping trolleys, drunk drivers, P Platers, sticky fingered kids, not to mention car thieves and jealous types who just want to trash the rich!!!!  I could never leave it in the Westfield car park while I had coffee with friends.

• Like 1