SAU Community

Tow Bars for Stageas

Sydneykid

Rated at 500kg unbraked and 1500kg braked (didn't require much capacity, only wanted to be able to tow the Jet ski for summer

Kibzors, did North Shore Towbars have to do any work on the car to get your towbar up to the 1500kg rating? The guys at Best Bars fitted mine, but after testing only rated to 1000kg braked and 250kg unbraked. Their comment was that I would 'get away' with 1200kg loads from time to time, but not day to day.

They said that they could easily make a bar that would handle 1500kg, but in order to use it, the rear end of the car would need reinforcing. They feel that it is quite 'soft' with little underfloor/chassis strength.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kibzors, did North Shore Towbars have to do any work on the car to get your towbar up to the 1500kg rating? The guys at Best Bars fitted mine, but after testing only rated to 1000kg braked and 250kg unbraked. Their comment was that I would 'get away' with 1200kg loads from time to time, but not day to day.

They said that they could easily make a bar that would handle 1500kg, but in order to use it, the rear end of the car would need reinforcing. They feel that it is quite 'soft' with little underfloor/chassis strength.

Sorry, i tell a lie  :O

Just double checked it now and it's only rated to 1200kg braked.

I got the same sort of comment when i picked it up after the work had been done. Due to it have quite a 'soft' rear end and alloy subframe etc any load bigger than that would have the chance of ripping the whole rear end off.

It looks fairly beefy with the work they done on the bracing for it to handle the load. I'll take some photos of the setup when the weather permits since the rear bumper is off getting fixed / modded anyway.

Check back in a day or two...

Has anybody fitted a tow bar to a c34 similar/same to Kibzors?

I want the similar/same, to clear a Dayz rear lip or very minimal cutting.

I had a hayman reese similar to Kibzors on my r31 which cleared the rear skirt easy.

Got a tow bar sorted for my M35 today...

Rated at 500kg unbraked and 1500kg braked (didn't require much capacity, only wanted to be able to tow the Jet ski for summer :down: ). 

Cost NZ$720 from North Shore Towbars in Auckland, NZ (Sorry, wont help you Oz folks, but if anyone in Auckland needs / wants one, go see these guys).

Thankfully they managed to accommodate the after-market rear bumper (Impul kit) and only had to cut a piece out about 1" x 2" right underneath so you can't even see it anyway and also had the tongue come underneath it rather than through it.

Anyway, some snaps for those who are interested to see the setup:

Stag_Towbar1.jpg

Stag_Towbar2.jpg

Stag_Towbar3.jpg

Stag_Towbar4.jpg

(Excuse the dirty car, needs a wash and the photos aren't the best quality but happy to take better ones when the weather fines up...)

Ah, thanks Pete for quoting those piccys (I forgot i already had some in this thread  ;) )

I guess it could be a low-ish load rating due to the design of it having to go under the rear bumper rather than through it? (I didn't really want a big hole through the Impul rear bumper haha)

Sorry it took me a couple of days, but here are a couple of better photos showing the whole tow bar assembly attached to the wagon:

Towbar1.jpg

Towbar2.jpg

(The bar looks curved at the right in the last pic, it is straight, just the wide-angle lens playing tricks)

And one more for good measure:

Stag3-1.jpg

• 1 year later...

It does look rather week with most of the force being being applied to the bar underneath your wheel well, and not the bar going to the very end of your rails. Should be fine for a jetski though whoch is about all I plan to tow with mine when i get a tow bar.

• 3 years later...

Has anyone got any leads on a heavy duty towbar for a c34. If I cant get one I'm going to have to sell my stagea and I'm having no luck.

What do you call heavy duty? I have towed a tandem trailer with another Stagea on it - quite a few people (probably in this thread if you look back) tow their race cars behind a C34.

Fastfit don't do a hevy duty tow bar. Basically I need a 2" reciever for my bike racks.

What is a 2in receiver? Are you referring to the towball which is normally 1 7/8 or 50mm and they are readily interchangeable. What kind of bikes require a heavy duty towbar? Are they V8 engined drag bikes? Maybe you need a van.

I think the bottom line comes down to the anchor points.

I've towed 1.3 tonne loads in my trailer dozens of times behind my old camry wagon with a 500 kg tow bar.

Mate the tow bar will rip off the car way before the tow bar itself breaks.

The only issue really to worry about is braking.

I think the bottom line comes down to the anchor points.

I've towed 1.3 tonne loads in my trailer dozens of times behind my old camry wagon with a 500 kg tow bar.

Mate the tow bar will rip off the car way before the tow bar itself breaks.

The only issue really to worry about is braking.

and legalities if something goes wrong.

This is a 2" hitch reciever mate. Any decent bike rack uses this and considering I can have up to 100kg of bikes with a replacement value of $40,000 I don't like to take chances.post-137587-0-96340200-1434870976_thumb.jpg