SAU Community

FAQ - Importing - Q&A Needed!

raz0r$harP.UK

Hey everyone,

With a few things popping up on the forums lately, figured it's time to put together a FAQ with some commonly asked questions.

So what I need is some input, on questions, and obviously some answers to go with them.

If you can think of anything that might be useful, pleas post below.

Some questions I can think of at the moment (to be answered when I have time or by someone else)...

- What methods can you currently import a car under?

(SEVS, 15 year rule, personal import, Race & Rally)

- What cars are available under SEVS? (also who can comply XX)?

(http://raws.dotars.gov.au/rawswebpublic/RAWPubMain.asp)

- What is happening with the 15 year rule changes

- How do I go about importing a car?

- Who can import a car?

etc..

As always, any input is appreciated!

Cheers

Vijay (aka raz0r)..

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a useful page on the Australian Customs website that provides info on how to calculate import duty, how GST is worked out (cough...ripoff !!), customs fees and charges and some other useful info:

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4371

[Edit] This is another useful page from the Customs website that provides the official exchange rates used to calculate import duty and from that GST. Using this you can compare your actual charges at the time of import...

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4277

- What is happening with the 15 year rule changes

what *is* happening with the 15 year changes? Last i heard somebody on here had a "certified inside source" say that an announcement would be made august :D

Elections are good sometimes :(

• 2 weeks later...
what *is* happening with the 15 year changes? Last i heard somebody on here had a "certified inside source" say that an announcement would be made august :D

Elections are good sometimes :P

According to an e-mail from Prestige on the weekend, there is some sort of announcement to be made around the end of September......which is only next week.....but as you say we are in election mode....

any news on the Q & A section? i just found out that 15year olds dont need to  change the mirror or get a differant fuel inlet!!

I had read somewhere else that changing the external convex mirror to flat is no longer required, but the unleaded fuel restrictor is still ADR mandatory AFAIC. Do you have something in writing from the department on this ??

got my bill from the guys doin mine, i know thew put the child restraints in ( had to take my speakers out :P) intrusion bars and new seat belts. thats according to what they've told me and whats on the bill should get the car in about a week so i guess ill look for anymore changes (if someone can get me out of it!!!)

Hey can we try and keep the thread to people asking questions they want answered (or the answers themselves?). If you need to post something else please make a new thread..cheers guys!

- In response to jetgts' questions about 15 year compliance centres:

Pretty much anyone can do the changes I believe. It just needs to be engineer certified.

- PHATR32 and what is needed for compliance:

I do believe it varies from state to state depending on requirements, and also compliancer (I guess that's not the answer you wanted though!)

As an example on my brother's 32 I didn't need to get side indicators, but others have. I was told also I needed the fuel restrictor.

i got a got a new answer for a question asked above, i talked to my broker a few mins ago and he said when the car arrives neither my self or the broker are allowed on the docks, and we cant see the car until its cleared customs. im in WA, so it might be differant for other states.

spewing even more now......

steve

A comment made all to often.........But it is under the 15yr rule so it does NOT need compliance!!! I realise most people on this site know that is not the case but my reason for writing is in the hope ONE person may see this before asking.

Flat gass on the drivers side mirror is still a requirement in Qld. Along with the fuel neck restrictor.

when the import lands in australia what happens next? Does the car get sent straight to a RAWS workshop to bring the car back to suit complinances? Is it possible to personally/known mechanic bring your car back to stock (or suit compliance) and then take it to a RAWS workshop and have a compliance certificate made?

i still don't understand the diff between the 15yr and SEVS . my basic understanding is that 15yr rule is a lot less strict in compliance laws than the SEVS even though compliance varies in states?

foznice - Once customs clears your car, responsibility for the car lies with you. You can arrange yourself to have the car towed to a RAWS workshop, but they can usually get it for you (NB- DO NOT DRIVE IT!!)

From my documentation you have 100 days from when the car arrives before it must be presented to a RAWS and plated.

does that mean i can bring the car to a compliance standard myself, and then once completed take/tow the car to a RAWS workshop to have a certificarte filled out?

another thing- why does bringing a car to compliance cost so much, as in whats included in the 1-5k or more that it costs. I can factor in the cost or tyres and even if i paid a mechanic to bring a car back to stock surely it wouldn't cost that much in labor?