SAU Community

FAQ - Importing - Q&A Needed!

raz0r$harP.UK

so because of the demise of the 15yr rule, the chances of me importing a 32gtst (stock as a rock) have become slim.... ;) But what about SEVS?

Will it work out much cheaper?

On the DOTARS site, it says something about import through a RAW... is this simply applying for import approval through them or does the RAM broker the entire process? Will I be able to import through Jspec and Prestige?

the only thing I understand about SEVS is that you a RAW must carry out the compliance.

thats all i can think of for now....

Cheers

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so because of the demise of the 15yr rule, the chances of me importing a 32gtst (stock as a rock) have become slim.... :)  But what about SEVS?  

Will it work out much cheaper?

Probably not. Compliance for a 15 year old R32 GTST in VIC was about $1200. I'd say the compliance for an R32 under SEVS would be like the R33 compliance costs, so it'd be around the $3500 mark.

On the DOTARS site, it says something about import through a RAW... is this simply applying for import approval through them or does the RAM broker the entire process? Will I be able to import through Jspec and Prestige?

Under the 15 year rule, you are allowed to go and get the car from the docks and drive it home (with temp permit), keep it in your backyard, work on it yourself, compliance yourself if you want, and then all you have to do is get the car engineered ($500 of that $1200 you pay to the engineer, $450 side intrusion bars and the rest on bits n pieces like flat mirrors and fuel restrictors etc... all depnding on who does the work for you), then take it to VICroads and get it registered. Easy as.

Under SEVS, the only person allowed to touch that car once it hits aussie shores is a registered workshop (RAW). Technically the car should not touch an australian road until it is complied, but its not something adhered to with diligence :rofl: Basically then the compliance workshop is the only one allowed to touch the car and once the compliance plate is put on the car then you can go pick it up and go get it registered.

You can only import a car under SEVS if you have a RAW lined up to do the work for you once the car gets here.

Either way (under both import methods) the guys at jspec organise a compliance workshop to do the work for you and basically let you know once the work is done, unless you have special requests (some people find their own compliance workshops) etc. The rest of the process is pretty much the same so yeah a broker is still able to handle it for you.

Anyways, the guys at work are much better at explaining all the ins and outs and technicalities than I am, so give em a ring and ask them ;)

foznice: yeah, that is what I would say will happen... as now 1989/early 90 models, can even fetch more than 91/92 models, over in Japan which doesn't make sense. So maybe for the same price, or even less you get a clean 91 or 92 model, SEVS that, and maybe pay $2k more on road. But you get a car which is worth at least $2k more than an earlier car over here, so it would probably even out.

Also as more people (hopefully) import SEVS R32, the compliance costs on them will come down a bit. Not a heap, but a little. R33 SEVS compliance costs have come down from $4500 at the start.

I'm looking to import an R33 GTR and was just about to go ahead when I was warned that the if the car is accident damaged then it would not be complied. The car would have to be re-exported, sold as spares or for racing, it could also be crushed. I dont intend on buying a grade R car, at least grade 4. There is a small chance, however, that an accident repaired car could slip through the system and end up as Grade 4. You may not find out until the car reaches the compliance workshop.

I tried to get assurances from my importer that the car would be inspected before leaving Japan. If your car is found to be accident damaged it could be re-auctioned in Japan with a minimal loss to me. He did not think that was possible so I have sent an email to a UK importer with an office in Japan. Check out their site at www.neweraimports.com

They have a solid word of mouth reputation in UK for sourcing top quality cars (I dont work for them). I have asked if its possible for them to put the car on a ramp and inspect it before it is shipped then produce a concise report and photo's etc.

I will let you know their reply when I get one.

I wonder if anyone else has got any other ideas about how to reduce the risk of importing a lemon?

Thanks

hey guys im still a little confused about all these laws my uncles an importer in jap and he said he would get me a car over without the broker fees and he said around 14,000 for r33 AND 21,000 4 R34 gts-s were talkin here that complied and shipped but without rego.... ok but he estimated the costs of shippin and complience 1g 4 shipping and 4 g 4 complience i want a series 2 aswell a '97 perhaps! is this about correct or not plz help!!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Back to the orginal post :

One FAQ that needs to be in the list is, what kind of modifications away from factory (body or mechanical) are allowed under SEVS.

In a FAQ doc for SEVS http://raws.dotars.gov.au/FAQ2_Nov_2004.pdf (Page 15) is says that :

Q. Can a vehicle fitted with an after market exhaust with aftermarket system be imported under RAWS?

A. Yes. However, the exhaust system fitted to the vehicle when a used import plate is fitted to it must be in accordance with the applicable sample evidence shown on the vehicle inspection certificate submitted for the vehicle.

Does this mean if it passes noise level tests, we can have aftermarket exhausts?