SAU Community

R32 GT-R Fluid & Oil flush.

lwells

Hi Guys,

Looking to do some work on the ole R32 GT-R 'zilla over the Christmas --> New Years break. Below is what I plan to do in terms of fluid flushes/changes, along with the fluid/oil.

I was wondering if people can give me an idea of just how much of each oil/fluid I will need for each of the jobs...? Also, recommendations are welcome :cheers::

Gearbox oil - Redline Lightweight Shockproof (~4 litres)

Transfer case oil - Dexron III compliant ATF (~2 litres)

Front Diff oil - ??? (~1 litre)

Back Diff oil - ??? (~1.5 litres)

Brake fluid - Motul DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid (??? litres)

Coolant - ???

Already done:

Power Steering Fluid - Castrol Transmax Z (~1 litre)

Engine Oil - Royal Purple (~7 litres)

Cheers,

Lucien.

Do you have a copy if the WS manual ??, all the amounts are given there. 7L for the engine oil ?? supposed to be about 4.5-5 depending on whether the filter is changed or not.

I've been trying to find out about what PS fluid to use - who recommended the Transmax (sounds like auto tranny fluid ??). The stuff recommended in the WS manual has never been available in Australia, apparently.

I use and recommend Penrite products :cheers:

Hi Guys,

Looking to do some work on the ole R32 GT-R 'zilla over the Christmas --> New Years break.  Below is what I plan to do in terms of fluid flushes/changes, along with the fluid/oil.  

I was wondering if people can give me an idea of just how much of each oil/fluid I will need for each of the jobs...?  Also, recommendations are welcome :):

Gearbox oil - Redline Lightweight Shockproof.

Transfer case oil - Redline Lightweight Shockproof.

Front Diff oil - Redline Lightweight Shockproof.

Back Diff oil - Redline Lightweight Shockproof.

Brake fluid - Motul DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid.

Coolant - ???

Already done:

Power Steering Fluid - Castrol Transmax Z (~1l)

Engine Oil - Royal Purple (~7l)

Cheers,

Lucien.

Hi SteveL,

I do have a copy of the WS manual, but I find its rather unhelpful, hence I was after people who have changed these oils to get a real idea of what I actually need.

It was a complete engine oil flush and filter change, not just a straight oil bleed + change, hence the rather high usage of oil (it may have been closer to six: I don't have the workshop receipt in front of me :cheers: ).

Transmax Z is a fully synthetic ATF but also explicitly states its designed for power-steering applications. I did a search on here and someone recommended it, so gave it a try. I found it extremely hard to bleed the power steering fluid (as I couldn't jack the car to get to a lead under the reservior), so I had to syphon it out of the top.

LW.

Ah OK, thanks for the PS fluid info.

I do all my own work and after 30 odd years of crawling around under cars, today I bought a hoist so I can work on the GTR more 'conveniently'.....now I've just got to modify my garage roof to suit....

Cheers

Re street use GTR V Spec II & N1 spec

Engine Oil - factory spec 7.5W-30/ 5W-30 5 - 5.3 litres

Manual Trans 75W-90 GL4. 4.1 litres

CastrolVMX is fine or Nissan mission oil BNR34 Special-although REDLINE do

a good oil, expensive.

Transfer prefer Nissanmatic D or can use dexron III 1.8 litres

Attessa Actuator- Gen Nissan Power Steer fluid 2 litres enough to

flush & bleed actuator system.( DON'T USE DEXRON OILS REFER NOTES BELOW)

Power steering (HICAS R32) Gen Nissan Power Steer fluid 2 litres enough

to flush & bleed actuator system.

Front diff .Hypoid gear oil GL-5 80W90 1.3 litres( for modified vehicles be sure it hasn't got front LSD Diff- if yes then use LSD GL5- 80W90)

Rear Diff.Hypoid gear oil LSD GL-5 80W90 1.6litres ( GTR spec 1.3 Litres)

1. Transfer case fluid

Nissan Matic D is strongly requested because high torque is applied to

transfer unit.

2.. Transfer case (ATTESA E-TS-PRO Actuator) : It is not acceptable to use

DEXRON III fluid.

> Only Nissan Power Steering Fluid Special use is required.

Today I received the technical information from our design department.

1. The difference between the DEXRON III and Nissan Power Steering Fluid

Special

The viscosity characteristic of Power Steering Fluid Special is lower than

that of ATF DEXRON III and the resistance to wear is also improved.

Each viscosity is the same level at 100 deg.C and the former viscosity is

designed to have the lower value for under 100 deg.C than the latter

viscosity.

This characteristic is aimed to rotate an oil pump located in ATTESA PRO

actuator easily at the extremely low temperature (Around -30 deg.C or -40

deg.C)

2. What will happen if a customer puts DEXRON II or DEXRON III into the

ATTESA PRO actuator reservoir in the trunk ?

The 4WD performance will be largely decreased at the low temperature

because the viscosity value of DEXRON II or III is extremely high compared

to that of Power Steering Fluid Special ;

As the rising characteristic of 4WD torque transfer becomes worse, it takes

the longer time to transfer the driving torque to the front wheels. There

is a possibility that the 4WD cannot be achieved in the worst case.

This may or may not be useful - straight out of the Australian delivered GTR32 owner's manual:

Recommended lubricants:

Fuel: Premium unleaded - min octane 95 RON

Engine: API SG 7.5-30 Turbo

Manual transmission: API GL-4 80W-90

Transfer case: Nissan Matic "D"

Power Steering Rack: Dexron II

Cooling System: Nissan LLC (long life coolant)

Brake and Clutch: DOT 4

Capacities:

Fuel: 72L

Coolant: 8.7L

Engine w filter: 4.6L

Engine w/out filter: 4.2L

Power Steering: 1L

:(

1. Transfer case fluid

Nissan Matic D is strongly requested because high torque is applied to

transfer unit.

2.. Transfer case (ATTESA E-TS-PRO Actuator) : It is not acceptable to use

DEXRON III fluid.

>   Only Nissan Power Steering Fluid Special use is required.

Today I received the technical information from our design department.

1. The difference between the DEXRON III and Nissan Power Steering Fluid

Special

The viscosity characteristic of  Power Steering Fluid Special is lower than

that of ATF DEXRON III and the resistance to wear is also improved.

Each viscosity is the same level at 100 deg.C and the former viscosity is

designed to have the lower value for under 100 deg.C than the latter

viscosity.

This characteristic is aimed to rotate an oil pump located in ATTESA PRO

actuator easily at the extremely low temperature (Around -30 deg.C or -40

deg.C)

2. What will happen if a customer puts DEXRON II or DEXRON III into the

ATTESA PRO actuator reservoir in the trunk ?

The 4WD performance will be largely decreased at the low temperature

because the viscosity value of DEXRON II or III is extremely high compared

to that of  Power Steering Fluid Special ;

As the rising characteristic of 4WD torque transfer becomes worse, it takes

the longer time to transfer the driving torque to the front wheels. There

is a possibility that the 4WD cannot be achieved in the worst case.

Please read

GTR V

GTR V: I fail to see how posting the same thing twice is of any great help.

I don't want to use Nissan OEM fluids. I know Matic D is an ATF fluid, which would suggest that ATF should be used in the transfer case and not straight gear oil. Is that the point your trying to make?

LW.

I think the the point he is trying to make is even though dont want to, its recommended to

use Nissanmatic D.

I'm sure people have used non nissan spec ATF before.

Then again theres probably a couple running around with shockproof in the transfer case

aswell!

I'm gonna do my soon, let us know if you find a better alternative.

yeah we run non nissan spec ATF.

No offence to redline but are they aware of how the gtr transfer case works or are they just guessing? It apparently very similar to an auto trans and does run the same fluid.

Hopefully someone has some exact numbers, but ATF is considerably thicker than regular gear oil, and is often used by the shonkey dealer to hide gearbox problems.

yeah we run non nissan spec ATF.

No offence to redline but are they aware of how the gtr transfer case works or are they just guessing? It apparently very similar to an auto trans and does run the same fluid.

Hopefully someone has some exact numbers, but ATF is considerably thicker than regular gear oil, and is often used by the shonkey dealer to hide gearbox problems.

You must use atf ( dextron 3 ) in the transfer case , it holds just under 2 lts from memory fill to the filler hole ( until it runs out ).

Duncan the atf oil is thinner that gear oil .

Use gear oil; in the g/box 75-90 .

You can use lsd diff oil in both diffs , you cant use non lsd oil in lsd diffs .

Ok, so basically we have established Redline has no idea: glad I asked because a couple of people seem to have followed Redline's suggestions.....

So scratch Lightweight Shockproof for the transfer case (which is good, since it costs the earth). Does anyone have specific recommendations for a transfer case oil? Likewise for the diff oils? As I understand it the R32 GT-R runs an open front and mechanical rear diff: will the same oil be OK?

Cheers,

Lucien.