SAU Community

Fresh from Japan pics

Beer Baron

OMG!!! get out. you can't tell the difference between GTST and GTR???? please relinquish ownership of you GTR immediately. Also I believe the rims are Volk TE37s you should know this, as you have the same ones.

:usuck:

There is a reason I am asking... trying to work out why my wheels sit further out from the guards than I think they should.

LW.

you can clearly see in that pic that it's an R32 GTR. lool at the rear guards.

Your wheels are probably wider than his. you've got 10s don't you?

I noticed the guards, and I noticed the GT-R seats... but it could still be a GTS-t with replaced guards -- given how many whacked out cars there are in japan -- hence I wanted confirmation.

They are 18x9.5J. According to the Ray's sizing chart (for an R34 GT-R), it says "1895 +22 245/40R18" (ie. +22 offset) but notes that "Because it extends from the fender, the case of installing please note sufficiently" :D

To add to the thread, here are some pics I took when I picked up the car from the docks: http://lwells.techadmins.com/skylinegtr-landed/

And some pictures I took last week: http://lwells.techadmins.com/pictures/GT-R...0205/index.html

LW.

The page cannot be displayed

There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Open the lwells.techadmins.com home page, and then look for links to the information you want.

cool. Fark me, I never realised how bad the mould was! that is gross. I wonder what caused it? maybe it was stored with the window open or something. never seen anything like it.

wheels looks good. now you just need to lower it. sitting a bit high atm.

like the new gearboots too. how'd you go installing them?

Yeah, the mould was 'orrible... Those pics were taken at Nathan's after it had already been cleaned/vacummed/spat on or whatever they do at Hobbs. It was actually worse still when I collected it off the ship.

Apparently they store the cars with the windows ajar...

Wheels will look a lot better when the car is clean, the wheels are clean, and the car and wheels are in proper lighting. Until I can afford to lower the car I will just run the stock wheels me thinks (may as well use up the existing rubber, plus I may have to get the guards rolled and/or the wheels engineered :D).

New gear and shift boot are so much nicer than the old ones. Fairly easy to install as I had the dash apart to replace it anyway. You need to remove the centre console/arm rest, then all you do is remove the springy-wire thing from the old boots, and have the woman in your life (or in my case, my dad's life) sow the wire into the new ones :D Probably would take 45 minutes to do a complete change over. I found the handbrake boot was rather tight to fit, but the leather has some play..

LW.

you can clearly see in that pic that it's an R32 GTR. lool at the rear guards.

Your wheels are probably wider than his. you've got 10s don't you?

yes it is a GTR race car. The rims are TE-37's 17"x9"

R33 N1 Engine (3000km), aftermarket diffs, oil cooler, Apexi front mount, Apexi N1 suspension, custom stainless exhaust, roll cage ............. blah blah blah we all know the score with the heavily modified ones

hehe your cars are all clean compared to how mine was.. it was raining the day i picked it up.. hehe ill post pics tonight.. yous will all laugh!

nah man i've given my one a quick wash. You can't tell from the pics but the paint is fairly stuffed. It needs a good cut n' polish.

don't worry lucien, mines just as dirty outside. RAINS EVERY DAMN time I try to was the thing. carport going up today, rain is now no longer a problem if I was at home :D

I'm going to order up those replacement boots for my car too, mine are pretty worn. but whats this about mould? mine was a fairly clean interior. I have just been right over mine with kitten interior cleaner and the dash and vinyls with armorall

Mark,

Unfortunately my car isn't undercover and, as your pointed out, its been rather wet lately. Its got a nice layer of brown dust. It was however washed thoroughly when it got off the boat, so I am not too worried about the paint (which seems to be in great condition) actually being damaged.

I am hoping to find a garage to rent somewhere in Leichhardt (where I live; car is currently stored at my dad's in Wollongong) shortly as I don't have any offstreet parking, let alone undercover parking. You can read why its not parked in Leichhardt here.

My car had a lot of mould on the interior from six months of storage in Japan (look at the door pockets). A good clean with Meguiars products, a vacuum, and steam cleaning of the front and rear seats has completely gotten rid of the mould (thank god). I would be careful with Armourall: what I have read suggests that as the Armourall dries it can crack the plastics.

The boots are definately a good buy IMHO. They are cheap, money goes to the club, and they are so much nicer than the shite from Nissan :(

For those that don't know, I completely documented my import process at Overclockers Australia. You will need to register, but its painless and an interesting place to boot :) I have also started a maintenance worklog thread there as well.

LW.

Where can I get these replacement boots?

Lucien, car looks great and very standard. :( Apart from the mods you have done (gear knob, te37's and steering wheel), how far from standard was it?

Is moving from Leichhardt an option? Vandals and thieves should be strung up by the #$#!%&$%*!.

Where can I get these replacement boots?

You can get the boots from Jay:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...ead.php?t=35694

Lucien, car looks great. Apart from the mods you have done (gear knob, te37's and steering wheel), how far from standard was it?

Thanks matey: I am very happy with it (though sometimes I wonder if I should have gone to the opposite end and imported something modded off its tits).

The car is about as stock as it comes: AFAIK the only changes made is an aftermarket exhaust. Apart from that, everything was factory (including the log books... which got lost/stolen :( ).

Is moving from Leichhardt an option? I hate vandals and thieves.

Selling a house is a little extreme just for parking :) Probably easier to just hire a garage (~$40-50 per week) in the surrounding streets.

LW.

Thanks. i think it would be easier to sell a house than build a garage :( There are very few garages as it is in Liechhardt, so finding one for $40-50/week is a good deal.

Since the restrictions to importing stock cars only under SEVS, importing a modded car is the main reason for using the 15 year rule, IMHO. There are plenty of R32's already here, but only a few that areas good as yours. Well done.

Thanks. i think it would be easier to sell a house than build a garage ;)  There are very few garages as it is in Liechhardt, so finding one for $40-50/week is a good deal.

There is more offstreet parking than you might think: there is quite a few "upwardly mobile" type couples who don't have cars (well, at least I am hoping there is :)). Not sure the best way to find one: will have to stick up some wanted posters soon :)

Since the restrictions to importing stock cars only under SEVS, importing a modded car is the main reason for using the 15 year rule, IMHO. There are plenty of R32's already here, but only a few that areas good as yours. Well done.

I agree that's one of the benefits of the 15 year rule. However, the range of locally available cars in the condition I was after wasn't that great. When I was looking to buy most were around the $30K mark and had questionable history (if any at all). Better examples were $35K+.

Basically I wanted to get as good an example I could because, as a student, I couldn't afford to land up with some bomb that would bleed me dry from day one. If I was in a different position -- ie. employed with a reliable salary -- I could have taken the chance, but this way I get a fantastic car that I can modify the way I want over the coming years. It meant paying quite a lot up front (dead stock cars in Grade 4 condition are very expensive), but its easier to account for that than lots of 'unknown' costs later down the track :)

Anyway, enough of me. :)

Edit: By the way, thank you for the nice comments on the car. It really is in fantastic condition... I just wish I had some nicer photos that actually showed that :(

LW.

Lucien, I can't believe you bought a house in leichardt without off street parking. My girlfriend lived on Norton street for 3 years and when she moved there made sure that the place had two secure car spaces. I just bought a place in stanmore, about 2 minutes from leichardt and it has a lock up garage and I wouldn't have it any other way. If you can't build a garage on your property I have to agree with nxtime. sell it up and get a place with a nice garage. parking in wollongong is a bit extreme! and I don't know that it'd be any safer there.

hmmm, maybe I could rent you my garage for a while? either way parking it on the street is bad, and I don't know of any insurance company that will cover you for a GTR that is not garaged. It certainly is a tough problem...

Maybe ask someone in the forum if they'll rent you one of their spots? or ask me nicely if you can rent my full brick, lock up garage in stanmore for a while? :(:)

appart from all that, the car looks great. can I ask where you went for the steam clean?