SAU Community

Installing a Headunit into N15 SSS

EvilElmo

• 2 weeks later...

if you haven't done this yet.

remove the two screws above the A/c controls. remove the ashtay. pull centre trim out. disconnect the rear demister and the hazard switches.

remove the existing radio and put the panel back on.

use the radio cage and crimp it into place. the plugs are early nissan items so a nissan plug kit should help.

match up the wires connect the antenna and slide the radio in

on a n15 you can do it. the local ones here have thin crap brackets that have to be redrilled to work. it slides in and there is no need to do any cutting. the radio sits where the ac controls are on the jap n15 cj2 that you are thinking of. they also use a eurovox radio.( not sure what NZ new use)

which is better than what oz gets. it has brackets and you can use them. the local one is done easier the other way.

n13,n16 are a different matter.

ALL aftermarket single din stereos I have installed screw directly into the factory stereo brackets of ALL Nissans, except for the early 90's Terrano which requires a fitting kit. Pulsar, Skyline, Primera, Bluebird, etc etc are pretty much all the same to install stereos in. Toyotas are also more or less the same. Some require fitting kits aswell (ie: The Toyota Windom).

Im still not understanding why a cage should be used.....

• 9 years later...

if you haven't done this yet.

remove the two screws above the A/c controls. remove the ashtay. pull centre trim out. disconnect the rear demister and the hazard switches.

remove the existing radio and put the panel back on.

use the radio cage and crimp it into place. the plugs are early nissan items so a nissan plug kit should help.

match up the wires connect the antenna and slide the radio in

Thanks.

Your basic guide is very helpful - taking of the center trim was easy enough to remove and so is the headunit... however the adaptors I bought (ISO to Nissan) are completely different.

Seems the car doesn't use the standard "Nissan" plugs - the "look like" the ones for a Holden.

My wife's car is an Aus spec N15 series 2 with the factory CD player (Eurovox 8580N) - I'm going to assume the radio wiring was probably updated to accomodate the CD player as the N15 series 1 had a tape deck.

Can someone advise which is the best adaptor to get. I'd like to avoid hacking up the factory wiring.

I figured it out, the N15 S2 Pulsar uses an older style connector.

If you happen to be purchasing the Aerpro branded adaptors, make sure it is for "Nissan 1987+" not the "Nissan 1995+"

Pic attached.