SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

What street tyres do you use or have used before for your skyline? and how would u rate their performance & value for $ upon a score of 10? Some comments would be great...

Let me start the ball rolling :

Falken ZE326

Dry : 6.5/10

Wet : 3/10

Value for $ : 3/10

One of the worst tyres I have ever used. Was ok in the dry but had almost no grip in the wet. Terrible tyre for the price I paid. ($200 a piece, 235/45/17)

Bridgestone Potenza S-02

Dry : 8.5/10

Wet : 8.5/10

Value for $ : 8/10

Way better than the Falkens. Fantastic handling in dry & wet conditions. Too bad no longer produced.

I suppose the S-02 is now replaced by S-03

Dunlop SP-3000

Dry: 9/10

Wet: 8.5/10

Value for $: 8/10

Quite an expensive tyres when new, they cost about $600 each as I was told by workshop. I bought them 2nd hand with 80-90% thread left at almost nothing.

Lucky find.

Simex SM-8000

Dry: 7/10

Wet: 5/10

Value for $: 7/10

Cheap-ish tyre. You could virtually get them for free if you buy 2nd hand rims with them on it. Possibly not worth spending unless you're super tight on money or just getting basic tyres for compliance/selling a car. Wet handling is very bad, hardly any grip at all. Anyone with more than 140rwkw using this type of tyre better be very very careful driving it in the wet.

ZE326

Dry: 4/10

Wet: 2/10

Value for $: 5/10

Cheap tyre, you get what you pay for - crap.

Hankook K104

Dry: 8/10

Wet 7/10

Value: 10/10

Great road tyre for the money - around 1200 for a set of 255/35/18

Falken ZE326

Dry : 4/10

Wet : 4/10

Value for $ : 5/10

well they didn't kill me.. just.. wet and dry seemed about the same to me (equally dodgy)

Falken Azeni RT215's (older revision)

Dry : 8/10

Wet : 8/10

Value for $ : 8/10 (although purchased 2nd hand.. rrp is about $250ea. for 16's)

Bridgestone Potenza GIII

Dry : 7/10

Wet : 7/10

Value for $ : n/a (came on car)

Hancook K102's

Dry: 8/10

Wet: 8/10

Value for money: 9.5/10

They are down to 75% tread now and dont grip as new... but still well.

Yokohama Advan Neova (They were inported from Germany)

Dry: 9/10

Wet: 9/10

Value for money: (In my case: 20/10)

I got these 2nd hand... 2 had 100% tread - still had the spikey bits all over, and 2 were 99.9% tread - spikey thingies were worn down to little knobs....

225/50R16 for $90 each.

Once they got below 50% tread though they slipped pretty badly....

Wow I see a lot of 8-9 out of 10 here, and no offence but I think some of you guys need to try even better tyres.....of course the best tyres you've ever used will feel like a 8 or 9 if you haven't compared them to something better :thumbsup:

My pick of good street tyres are the Falken FK451 at about 450 in 255/40/18. Great tyres wet and dry. The Dunlop SP9000 we are running on the Z at the moment are good too, as they should be at 550ea.

My crap/not worth the money list include Falken 326, Falken ST115 and Bridgestone re040.

My R tyres list goes like this:

Bridgestone Re55 > Dunlop D01J > Yokohama A032R > Falken RS-V04 > Falken RT215

.....but Dunlop DZ02G > *

I must try some slicks so I can add them to the list :)

Did anyone see the tyre test in Motor magazine last month?

Wow I see a lot of 8-9 out of 10 here, and no offence but I think some of you guys need to try even better tyres.....of course the best tyres you've ever used will feel like a 8 or 9 if you haven't compared them to something better :)

My pick of good street tyres are the Falken FK451 at about 450 in 255/40/18.  Great tyres wet and dry.  The Dunlop SP9000 we are running on the Z at the moment are good too, as they should be at 550ea.

My crap/not worth the money list include Falken 326, Falken ST115 and Bridgestone re040.

My R tyres list goes like this:

Bridgestone Re55 > Dunlop D01J > Yokohama A032R > Falken RS-V04 > Falken RT215

.....but Dunlop DZ02G > *

I must try some slicks so I can add them to the list :)

Did anyone see the tyre test in Motor magazine last month?

Well one thing's for sure : everyone agrees the Falken Ziex ZE326 sucks to the max!!

And yeah, I guess until we try better tyres, we might think the ones we have are that good.

Duncan, can u explain what's wrong with the ST115 & Bridgestone RE040? From what i know, they're pretty expensive to buy. :thumbsup:

Duncan, can u explain what's wrong with the ST115 & Bridgestone RE040? From what i know, they're pretty expensive to buy.  :thumbsup:

Yeah that is what pissed me off. Sometimes in life you can just spend more and be pretty sure you will get a better product....not so for tyres....

Both tyres had poor grip considering their price, the st115 were worse than the re040s. They may be better than some other middle of the range tyres but they are not worth the money IMHO.

Threads like this can be great to get other options instead of listening to what the bloke across they tyre counter is trying to move from their stock room :)

Continental Sports Contact

Rear: 255/40 17"

Front: 235/45 17"

These came with my r33. Prior to this I was driving a corolla lol. So I dont really have anything to compare with. But they are great IMO.

lol...Federals in the wet... better be paying attention!

in the dry they grip okay if you want to go in a straight line... forget about corners... make lots of smoke though:)

michelin pilot sports get my vote, even when secondhand they run rings around the Federals (thanks ZigenGT)

I've been really impressed with Hankook’s, have been driving them really hard for the better half of a year and they’ve lasted outstandingly. A whole heap of grip and are surprisingly sticky.. surely there are always going to better/more expensive (and softer for that matter – wear out faster). Worth considering for good street use.

Also, my old 33 gtst used to Severely waste tires because It had aftermarket coilovers (teins – which were excellent for spirited driving!) and the tires would die easily on the outer side. Should have forked out for a chamber kit. Thank god the 32 with Ohlins doesn’t seem to be as bad as the 33.

Falken Ziex 326

wet:1/10

dry:1/10

Maybe the one I got was faulty. I had 235/40/18s at the front and 265/35s at the rears.

No grip (especially in the wet), very noisy. I had steering wheel vibration at 100-110 kph.

Toyo TPGs

wet and dry quite pleased with them so far...and the vibration was completely gone

Another thing to ask is with all those rating out of 10, what's your rwkw power?

A cheapo non-grippy tyre can be rated as having excellent grip on a 60rwkw car,

while even a very good tyres that grips well on a 180rwkw will be practically useless when fitted to a 260rwkw car.

Read the May Wheels last night and they also did a tyre test.

I'll post more detailed findings when I get home but what stood out in my mind was the tyre that they rated third out of about 7 or 8 I think was the cheapest out of all. Cant think of its name but it starts with M. Mirrza - Mizza something like that.

Interestingly, second overall was the michelin which did not win any of there controlled tests but stayed consistent over all of them.

This test was on 235/45 R17s.

Falken Ziex 326

wet:1/10

dry:1/10

I used these for a while.. Horrible tyres.. I would agree with your rating.. They just had no grip!

I have Dunlop Lemans tyres on at the moment.. They have pritty good grip but just dont allow me to put my foot down and under heavy breaking they dont grip and just want to lock up.

Dunlop Lemans

Wet: 4/10

Falkien Semi Slicks (forgot the code)

dry: 7/10

wet: ?/10 (never drove in the wet with them)

Once warm they where okay, good grip through the twisties.

I agree with what duncan posted up above.. I dont think many of us have tried out really really decent tyres.. (ie.. 500+ each)

Nenxen Compliance tyres

Dry: 0/10

Wet: 0/10

Symex Compliance tyres

Wet: 2/10

These tyres lasted 7 trackdays at eastern creek.. I dont think they where good for my driving as using dodgy tires makes you to aggressive with the wheel.. not a good habit to get.