SAU Community

Carputer (basically In Car Computer)

Nozila

hey fellas,

i was reading up on reviews about 2 in 1 dvd/monitor units and came across something known as the carputer. the idea behind this is that in addition to being able to play dvd's/cd/mp3 in your car, you can also access the internet through wireless connection as well have a gps device all in the one unit. what i would like to know is if anyone on this forum has done this setup and also what are the cost involved.also do you think that its worth going through the trouble of making this since it seems that it would have to be a custom job of assembling the unit itself.

whats your ideas/experience/opinion.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can organise the wireless internet, and your LCD has a spare input, grab an old PC and throw a Jaycar Electroncs XC4875 12v ATX power supply and a cheap graphics card with a composite video output and you are all set!!

Call Jaycar AU 1800 022 888 to find out if they have any XC4875 in stock.

try this...

www.maxice.com.au

They were at the autosalon last year promoting their gear..basically an all in one unit, with wi-fi internet, gps, tv, windows OS, the works...all for bout 4k.

Hi Nozila,

I would suggest looking into an american system called " drive soft"

Information can be obtained from

http://www.drivesoft.net/index.html

This is one of the most popular american systems available. it uses touch screen monitors and unlike putting a PC or laptop in the car does not require a power invertor.

Regards

Pj

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nozila

I have installed a carputer into my R32 GTSt 4 door.

My system is an 8" Lilliput touch screen and a P3 1.8GHz computer with 512mb of RAM and a 80gb hard drive in a custom computer case in the boot. This is connected to an amp and a 12" sub. I have 6x9's in the back and 6's in the front. I'm also running a USB 7 port hub and a Powermate control knob (for volume). The computer is powered with a custom built power supply with an in-built startup/shutdown controller, mounted in the case. I am running Windows XP as the OS and using the FrodoPlayer frontend to play media. I use it mostly for music, though I have a few movies on my computer too, and I can play GTA 3. My computer is fairly basic and is not set up for complex 3D gaming or any muck like that.

Here's a rough cost break down for the computer components (not including amp, speakers and sub):

Motherboard: $75

Hard drive: $75

RAM: $60

Case: Custom with 2 case fans (no cost available)

Touchscreen: $450

Powermate: $60

12vDC powersupply: $130 to build, had to buy circuit diagram & board and components individually.

USB hub: $40

Now, your wireless internet is a different story. If you mean wireless access to the net as you drive, this would mean using a mobile phone as a modem or getting a sattelite plan connection. Both of which are very expensive, so I haven't bothered with them. However, I do plan on putting a wireless network card USB into the computer so that I can tap into any existing WiFi networks wherever I park the car (and it helps when you put media in the car)

I haven't done GPS, as you have to buy a GPS reciever and an antenna, and software if you don't want to go open source.

You can also do XM radio (with a special reciever) which is a sattelite radio band available in most of the world with hundreds of channels. You can also get HD TV tuner and and antenna so that you can watch TV in the car as well.

I heavily used mp3car.com as suggested by another member which supplied me with most of the info regarding the power supply and the startup/shutdown controller which is the most complicated part of the whole system.

If you have any more questions, feel free to leave a message here or PM. I've only signed up here to post this (at this stage) so I may be a while in responding.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a carputer in my GTIR. It is in the process of being transported to my r34.

Specs:

- VIA M10000 mobo/cpu

- Opus 12v power supply inc. shutdown controler

- Laptop HDD

- Laptop DVD

- 5" Playstation 1 LCD screen (non-touch), hacked to fit dash

- Thumb-ball mouse

- WinXP + many versions of different front end software found on mp3car.com (can't decide which is best).

- USB GPS

- USB wifi

- USB webcam

- Serial Consult interface

Does:

- Music (cd and mp3)

- Movies (dvd, divx etc.)

- GPS navigation and tracking with OziExplorer and gps trackmaker

- WiFi "wardriving"with Netstumbler

- Reverse camera

- Consult data display and logging.

If you want to do a carPC quick, use an invertor and old PC. If you want to do it right, use an Opus and laptop parts with a mini-ITX mobo, purpose built.

The screens below are an old test install in my GTIR. It got a little neater for the final install, but i cant find the pics. When it goes into the Skyline, i'll be swapping to a DIN sized 7" touchscreen.

post-28052-1146563368.jpg

post-28052-1146563380.jpg

post-28052-1146563396.jpg

post-28052-1146563405.jpg

post-28052-1146563424.jpg

post-28052-1146563435.jpg

LOL! Two keyboards on the passenger seat. =-]

I really like your custom case! Pity mini ITX mobo's and cpu's cost so damn much though!

Hi Nozilla,

I have just finished installing a Carputer in my R33 a few weeks ago.

I used a laptop that i got off ebay cheap because it had a cracked LCD, apart from that it was all pretty much new. It already had wireless, bluetooth, a 60gig hard drive, dvd-rom, etc. I have mounted it up in the boot, running a cable from the audio line-out (headphone socket) to the inputs of my amps (one 4 channel and one bridges 2 channel for the sub). I ran a VGA and USB cableunder the read seats, under the carpet, and up to the dash, where i have custom mounted a 7" Xenarc touchscreen. I am powering the laptop off a laptop car-charger, so no inverters or costly power supplies are neccessary. I opened up the lappy and soldered a set of leads to the power button and power light connections on the mainboard, and ran these with the other two cables up to the front as well. i have an illuminated pushbutton for the power switch this way. I have simply got it set to standby as the battery reaches 99% and there is no power (Power Options > Alarms > 'Low Battery'), and hibernate when it gets to 20% ('Critical Battery'). The charger is switched through a relay from the original stereo wire, so that it is switched off as soon as the ignition is turned off, and the computer standby's in about 30 seconds. The screen is also powered off this wire, so it turns off as soon as the car is switched off.

I use a 'front-end' software package called Centrafuse, which allows me to control all my music, videos, satellite navigation, FM radio, phone, etc from one easy to use, easy to see interface. I have a USB GPS reciever that is used with the Destinator software to provide turn-by-turn navigation. I have a USB FM receiver that gives me FM radio, and my phone is controlled via Bluetooth by PhoneControl.NET. All of these are accessed through Centrifuse though.

Basically it all just works...or should i say 'Worked'... it was great until my screen overheated and blew up last week....damnit...but once that is either repaired or replaced, it will all be good!

Cheers,

Sam.

anyone though of using a wireless mouse and keyboard?

I have a wireless kayboard that i use if i need to configure the system or whatever, and occasionally to browse the web, but obviously this cannot be used while driving, which is where i use the touch screen. As for the mouse, the touchscreen does this perfectly, you just tap the screen where you would normally click.

Pics please.

I will post some pics once my screen is repaired and all looking sweet again :D

-Sam

try this...

www.maxice.com.au

They were at the autosalon last year promoting their gear..basically an all in one unit, with wi-fi internet, gps, tv, windows OS, the works...all for bout 4k.

I can most likely give u a full setup including wifi internet for about $3000.

(NSW ONLY)

-legit version of win XP

-Optus Wireless speeds upto 54mbps in hotspot locations.

-7" or more TOUCHSCREEN

-DVD R/W

-PLAYS ANY FILE YOUR PC CAN

-200gb hard drive

-surround sound outputs

-additional functions on request

if interested pm me :P

im going to install my next one in the glovebox.

the monitor would replace your DIN unit/s.

everything is touch screen.

Edited by illusiVe

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a little PC know how. You can build a complete system for around the $1500 mark quite easily. $3k or $4k is just freakin crazy.

u guys r talking bout some high prices.

ive done my car pc for less than $500 probably. (it's actually in peices not in the car yet..im temporarily not living in aust)

$250 touch screen lcd. ok fabrication came to a bit as its moulded into the dash with usb ports underneath the screen

the rest is an old pc lying around, i guess expensive bit is the hdd if u want a massive one. im using a 250.

sound card is where u need to spend quite a bit upon.

then power supply, start up/shut down, there are many options.

www.mp3car.com , im suprised no ones mentioned this yet. their online shop ships to aust, opus power supplies etc turn ur pc on when ur car goes on, off when its switched off (by safe shut down).

gps = $60. u dont HAVE to have a keyboard, the touch screen is the mouse...its cheaper than a headunit... the expensive (or time consuming) part is the fabrication/moulding.

i havent got any wireless stuff happening though.. not interested in that..

ill post pics of the screen moulding soon if i can get some

Edited by Nav2k

I mean actually buying all the basic components needed. Some of us dont just have stuff 'lying around' :D

But yeah mate. mp3car shop is great. Gonna order my opus power supply and 3 in 1 shark fin antenna off them.

im talking high end equipment, compact. software written for in car pcs.

the pc I build will be shuttle size (about a 25cm cube) in size.. not a full pc box

not necessarily custom moulds etc.. But a decent 7" LCD touch = $700.

so i mean, what are u using if u made a car pc under $500......

old pc + $500 7" non touch lcd?

Edited by illusiVe

My entire system cost me under $1000.. and that included the sound system (well partly... my car already had a nice set of alpine speakers throughout...but no amp or subbie). One word...eBay! :P

old Laptop with cracked LCD - $350

12V car charger - $15

7" LCD touch-screen (second-hand) - $250 (would've been $350 for a new one...)

Holux GPS Reciever - $65

Kicker 2x75W Amp (for my front speakers) - $50

Audioline 4x200W Amp (2x200 for my rear speakers, 1x400 for my sub) - $65

10" 600W Sub in ported box - $60

Assorted cabling (USB, VGA, RCA, speaker, power) and connectors - $60

Total: $915

Edited by Samon

I'm building a CarPC too :P

My setup involves:

1 x 7" Lilliput Touch Screen (motorized)

1 x Bluetooth Dongle

1 x GPS Dongle

1 x Laptop (NEC)

Video: USB Cable from the touch screen to laptop... works all functions just as the mouse would, just utilizes touch screen.

Sound: Optical output from laptop going into the input of my Pioneer head unit. Optical cable will provide sound that is second to none provided bitrate of MP3s are good.

Bluetooth: To be integrated with my mobile software ... instant car kit for phone, displays SMS on the screen (100% legal)

GPS: To be used with "free" GPS Software that I "found"

Why use laptop:

My laptop is provided to me by my work... it is the very very small (about the size of an A4 piece of paper and 3cm thick). Contains 120gb hard drive, DVD Rom, USB, Optical Sound Out, Video Out, etc etc.

Using a laptop also for security; don't feel like leaving big $$$ in the car as I've had a break in before.

Also, it'll be a lot easier to load new things onto it with a Laptop over a true In-Car PC.