SAU Community

Broken Arm/wrist

atticus

hey all.

just wondering, wats the law say about driving with a broken arm?

as u can guess, i broke my arm. my left arm. and since i have a manual, its pretty important when it comes to driving.

am i allowed to drive?

yes, it is fu(king hard to as`well.

has anyone else ever done this to themselves, anyone share my grief?

I would say your fine to drive man, just ask your doctor first. I supose in the 'docotors' theory its how bad the break is as if you bump it now it might give you trouble later on in life. I supose though if its in a full cast, and their is minimum movement you should be fine. I dont think their is specifically a rule saying 'people with broken arms cant drive' because ive seen people with one leg, one arm drive.

Dayne

yep fractured my elbow... no cast (just bandage and sling) but was too sore to move for a week... doc advised against driving but I did anyway as soon as the pain subsided... not sure of the legality but I found gearchanging was fine it was just if I needed to steer with both hands in an emergency would have been a little dicey...

all depends on how bad the break is... if it is a serious one I wouldn't be moving your arm for several weeks as the bone will take longer to heal (and may not at all)

oh and then there is the fact that if it heals crooked they may have to rebreak it! ouch

I broke my wrist 2 months ago and had it in a cast for 6 weeks. As long as your doctor advises that your able to drive, you can legally drive. Hold it heals quickly. How did you break it anyway?

As long as you can keep both hands on the wheel in the correct position when not shifting (obviously) and turn the wheel using both hands as required by law I dont think they can touch you, if you cant do these things and are not classified as a disabled driver with modified controls then no......you're not legal to drive.

i got hit by a car trying to save a little girl getting hit.. . no not really, im no hero.

i broke it when i was out skating at 2am, drunk as a skunk. stupidity won in straight sets.

when i drive i dont even move my left arm. it sits on my leg, and everythjing is done with the right, and knees :( so i guess thats illegal. at least now there is no sling, so it cant be easily seen when they drive past.

Whether it is legal to drive or not, if it affects your ability to drive, don't do it. No point in killing someone (or yourself) in a car accident because it was more convinient for you to drive than catch a bus.

haha. we all know victorians arent the best of drivers blind_elk

but you're right big rizza, safety first. i dont drive unless i have too, and even then its not very far. understand that the last thing i want is a death on my concience. thanks for your concern.

its going to be a slow 5 weeks then. . .

its going to be a slow 5 weeks then. . .

Man you wanna talk slow weeks... 2 years in a row i broke my wrists.

First time, an acorn got stuck in my rollerblades and it flipped me over... 1 week before I was scheduled to go to surfers... let's just say that holding your arm up in the air with a cast on while jumping over waves is extremely gay and tiring.

Second time i fell out of a tree about 4 metres landed on my left wrist - 2 days before i flew out for summer holiday.

that sucked alot of shit, but now i have learned not to do anything remotely dangerous before summer holidays..........

get better quick mate B)

hey all.

just wondering, wats the law say about driving with a broken arm?

as u can guess, i broke my arm. my left arm. and since i have a manual, its pretty important when it comes to driving.

am i allowed to drive?

yes, it is fu(king hard to as`well.

has anyone else ever done this to themselves, anyone share my grief?

I drove with a broken hand and in a cast.I was 18 and on my P's.It was allright then.An auto would be the best.

So... Is breaking an arm quite painfull?

I broke my knuckle right through which didn't allow me to make a fist, my index finger would lock trying to make one.

That wasn't painfull, suprisingly it only felt a little strange as my finger would simply stop trying to make a fist with no pain. :P

i just had a full shoulder reconstruction, most painful thing ever! wasnt alowed to drive for 10 weeks....:P sling for 5 weeks, 2 weeks shoulder wasnt strong enuf to lift up and indicate....still drove tho;)

Edited by Ezz35