SAU Community

Antz 1994 R32 Gtr Project & Restoration

Ants

Ok, well this has been long overdue but now that I have finally some time (and if the world doesn't actually end) and that things are coming together I thought it would be be best to give you guys a look at what I am doing.

First of all a little bit of history.

The car I have is this

My_R32_GTR2_zps85c1b458.jpg

It is a late model 1994 R32 GTR which I purchased in 2003 (feels like many light years ago it :D ) and it has evolved mildly as the years have gone by.

Previous configuration of engine was a follows:

Standard Bottom end

Tomei Sump baffle plate

Tomei poncams (type A) 256deg lift 9.5 in and 260deg ex lift 9.5

N1 Oil Pump

N1 Water Pump

Nismo turbos

Sard 550cc injectors

Twin Plate direct clutch

Greedy turbo / inlet piping kit including

2 x RB25 A/F Meters

Cooling Pro Intercooler 600x300x100mm

Cooling Pro raditor 42mm dual core

Gates Timing Gears (not dialed in)

Gates timing belt

Trust clear timing cover

Cooling Pro Oil Cooler (not sure what size but that big)

CES Racing dump pipes (short version)

Aftermarket exhaust (know idea what type but it is loud!!)

Aftermarkert adjustable suspension (whith HKS coilovers)

Pivot speed meter (registered 256km top speed once :woot: )

Chipped CPU tuned on shell optimax (at the time)

Engine power over 310rwk at 20psi (with boost dropping due to shyte wastegates) and quartermile 12.4 @ 192kmph

DSC04184_zps10be66cc.jpg

Anyways, I have a huge passion for the skyline GTR and the new Nissan GTR but the RB26 is an obsession for me.

Any GTR owner knows it is that this is an expensive hobby (understatement :dry: ) but to me this car is my mistress and yes I am married :yes: to a beautiful and understanding wife and have a beautiful daughter together (who are truely my number one passion)

Anyways, the car has done a fair amount travelling as it was my daily for some time although I a Ford Falcon POS station wagon these days.

I knew that the car would need to be rebuilt so I had started to collect the necessary parts for it after some guidance from my mechanic (who is well known on the Gold Coast)

The ideas was something like this:

Brand New N1 Block

CP 86mm pistons

N1 Oil Pump (or better)

New R33 GTR crank

Reconditioned Head

Garrett GT2860-5s

Bigger injectors

Apexi PFC

New Exhaust

So I had been gathering all these over the years but recently I cam across this

TomeiThumbnail1_zpsa186f2d9.jpg

Must admit that after looking at the specs of this I could not beleive my eyes how good this was for its price considering you the cost of a brand new N1 engine from Nissan.

The specs for this are as follows:

COMPONENTS USEDCYLINDER BLOCK ASSEMBLY – NISSAN OEM N1 REINFORCED

CYLINDER HEAD ASSEMBLY – NISSAN OEM

PISTONS – TOMEI FORGED

CONROD – TOMEI FORGED H-BEAM

CONROD BEARING – NISMO F112 MATERIAL + NEW OVERLAY PLATING

MAIN BEARINGS – NISMO F112 MATERIAL + NEW OVERLAY PLATING

CAMSHAFT – TOMEI PONCAM Type-B

TIMING GEAR – TOMEI ADJUSTABLE PULLEY (IN/EX)

TIMING BELT – TOMEI STRENGHTENED

HEAD GASKET – TOMEI METAL

WATER PUMP – NISSAN OEM N1 SPECIAL (High Flow Type)

OIL PUMP – NISMO (WITH REINFORCED GEAR)

OIL GALLERY ORIFICE – TOMEI

OIL PAN BAFFLE PLATE – TOMEI

SERIAL PLATE – UNIQUE WITH TOMEI SERIAL NUMBER

※ All the other parts used that are not mentioned above are NISSAN OEM parts.

SPECIFICATIONS

DISPLACEMENT – 2597cc

BORE SIZE – Φ86.5mm

STROKE – 73.7mm

BLOCK TOP DECK CORRECTION – Minimal

PISTON CLEARANCE – 0.055mm

CONROD BEARING OIL CLEARANCE – 0.045~0.055mm

MAIN BEARING OIL CLEARANCE – 0.045~0.055mm

INTAKE CAMSHAFT DURATION / MAX LIFT – 260°-9.15mm

INTAKE VALVE TIMING CENTERLINE – 110°

INTAKE VALVE CLEARANCE – 0.45mm

EXHAUST CAMSHAFT DURATION / MAX LIFT – 260°-9.15mm

EXHAUST VALVE TIMING CENTERLINE – 115°

EXHAUST VALVE CLEARANCE – 0.38mm

COMBUSTION CHAMBER VOLUME – CORRECTED

HEAD GASKET SIZE – Φ87.0-1.2mm

COMPRESSION RATIO – Approx 8.4

FRONT FINAL GEAR RATIO – BNR32/BCNR33 4.111

Needless to say that I could not resist to miss this opportunity and after one phone call with Kyle from Hi Octane Racing I think I became one of the last person to procure this limited edition Advance spec engine :banana:

Last week I recieved any email from Hi Octane stating that my engine would arrive by the end of this month

sCIMG0746_zps58115300.jpg

sCIMG0744_zps78620bdc.jpg

So my initial idea of the N1 block and 86mm cp pistons went out the window as this engine is going to be interesting to say the least.

Since I had the idead of replacing the nismo turbos my car has been off the road since December 2010 and currently looks like this

IMG_0043_zps9d2426dd.jpg

Actually it looks even worse now as it does not have the coolling fan and a/c piping etc.. as I have been resotoring the car as follows as follows

IMG_0094_zps139b1978.jpg

Dirt and dust that has build up behind the I/C

IMG_0095_zps01396b4f.jpg

All cleaned up

IMG_0346_zpsdaf5f4b2.jpg

Paint stripped, sanded and with any rust removed and then cleaned with degreaser

IMG_0350_zps4400362d.jpg

All wrapped up and ready for respray.

IMG_0351_zps98150181.jpg

Resprayed with rust proof primer and then will be fnished off with Holts Autospray color code DSSB01 (the closest color to Nissan Cristal white 326)

It is getting a bit late now so will end this introductory post, but for all of those out ther who love evolution photos here is an early Christmas present for you

IMG_0022_zps6cf5c023.jpg

CES Racing dump pipe removed

IMG_0024_zps3016716d.jpg

CES dump pipe cleaned out, sanded and painted in VHT Hi temp proof black paint

IMG_1080_zps62102145.jpg

OEM timing cover paint striped, sanded and prepped for some new painting

IMG_1082_zpseaadaab3.jpg

As always, preparation is the key to almost everything especially when it comes to painting

IMG_1083_zpsbe1917eb.jpg

Just another photo before painting.

IMG_1085_zps25502ced.jpg

All primed with anti-rust primer (not that alloy really needs it)

IMG_1087_zps480323c3.jpg

And finally with VHT Wrinkle red spray paint (and yes this was all done before I have acquired the new engine and will be available for sale later on)

P.S. Tomorow I will give a breakdown of the ancillaries that will be joining the new Tomei advance spec engine :thumbsup: so watch this space

Ok as promised here is what will definately be going in my new engine

IMG_0573_zps295bb4b6.jpg

A box! well that's not going to go onto my engine now is it :no: question is what's in the box?

IMG_0574_zps3095eef4.jpg

Another box....c'mon now....but there are numbers on this box what could it be????

IMG_0579_zps53ea563f.jpg

Enought teasing, yep brand new Garrett GT2860R-5 which were acquired from my good friend Andrew at Kudos Motorsport

These should do the trick for what I want which is approx. 600hp at the crank.

Few more photos of the turbosIMG_0576_zps96f5f8df.jpg

Made in Japan I like it :yes:

IMG_0577_zpsfe218156.jpg

Rear exhaust housings

Since I am chasing 600hp at the crank or 400kw at the wheels I have been thinking about the following ancillaries:

1,000cc injectors but what type i.e. HKS, nismo etc...(forgot to mention yesterday that the car already supports a Sard uprated intank fuel pump 280lph but is it enough?)

Apexi Power FC (non-d-jetro and will explain why later)

OEM exhaust manifolds ported (photos will follow shortly)

Dump pipes - CES Racing long versions

Front pipes???

Exhaust - should I be getting something bigger than what I already have???

Anyways, I'm certain there other things to consider so any input is more than welcome.

Ok, today I fnished porting one of the OEM exhaust manifolds which used to look like this

IMG_0533_zps3cc1b724.jpg

I then superimposed an exhaust manifold gasket (this one is a Tomei metal one) and marked the outlets with a permanent marker

IMG_0551_zps77789029.jpg

Then I went to Bunnings and got the following

IMG_0590_zps0494804c.jpg

Why you say? well it is simple, I do not have an air tool and the above fits directly into any electric drill (like a drill bit does) and although it costs $69 a peice it is worth its weight in gold and will save you the labour costs of someone else doing it for you + if you are like me you get the benefits and pleasure of doing the work yourself :miner:

The results....

IMG_0591_zpsfff5c470.jpg

I also purchased a Dremel tool from Bunnings as I think that it will be very useful in the future

IMG_0553_zpsd09faca5.jpg

and you get to this with it

IMG_0593_zpsc9d6b85c.jpg

Sanding the rough bits left over after being ported

IMG_0598_zps19558167.jpg

Top ones are ported and the ones below are standard OEM ex. manifolds

IMG_0595_zps280f4552.jpg

Here is a better photo that compares the ported manifolds vs standard ones.

Ok, now I know that there has been quiet a debate regarding standard (low mount) exhaust manifolds vs stainless steel items i.e. tomei / HKS manifolds but IMO if you are going direct replacement for low mount turbos keep your OEM exhaust manifolds and port them (or get N1 versions)

They are more durable e.g. not subject to cracking and will retain the heat better than most aftermarket stainless steell items which will help the turbo. This will also save you a bit of $$$ that you can either re-invest, give it to me :D or buy something else towards your build.

I have also ported the turbo exhaust side which used to look like this

IMG_0093_zps731bc412.jpg

but now look like this

IMG_0532_zps7148df4b.jpg

They are actually a fair bit larger than the -5's turbo charger exhaust housings

IMG_0584_zps5560265a.jpg

May have to do some port matching here.....

Edited by Ants

Nice build thread mate love the car. Apart from actual engine specs you're heading towards the same type of setup I have just put on my 32. Shame it's not running yet so I can't give you any helpful advice on what I could've done better lol. Anyway will be looking forward to more progress reports and hopefully I'll get mine up and running by the time your finished lol.

Thanks trustr32,

Yeah, I wish things could be done faster but all good things take time.

Hopefully both cars can be up and running sooner rather than later :yes:

Okie dokie,

The other day I decided to give the front reo bar some TLC as it was starting to get rusty and used to look like this

IMG_0298_zps8bb8dea6.jpg

It had been cut to make to provide more air flow to the impul front bar that was initially on the car when I had purchased it. Is it road worthy.... I don't think so. So, I will be welding some plates and if that fails well I will just source an N1 reo bar.

IMG_0301_zpse0124243.jpg

Rusty bits on reo bar....better treat it now before it gets worse

IMG_0302_zps7a89eed6.jpg

Rust bits remobed with electric sander

IMG_0303_zps2b0ecadd.jpg

The left hand side rust removed.

IMG_0307_zpseb8f85a1.jpg

Then rinsed and dryed and then resprayed in hi temp 3M mat-black spray paint can.

IMG_0306_zps87ea174a.jpg

Just another shot of the resprayed reo bar.

Edited by Ants

Some nismo bits that will form part of the engine

IMG_0611_zps41ffe721.jpg

Nismo engine mounts and nismo low temp thermostat

IMG_0612_zps5f0c0bef.jpg

The real mccoy.

There are other Nismo items which have not arrived yet but will post pics as soon as they arrive. Kind of will be my belated xmas presents :santa:

Edited by Ants

Quick update.

I ported the other manifolds today in this ridiculous hot and stormy weather (but made it up by having a few beers after ;) )

IMG_0616_zps3ac0e9ff.jpg

All marked and ready for porting

IMG_0617_zpse36763e8.jpg

Photo of ported manifold, but I am not happy with it :angry: and will need to do some more....but I promise I will not upload any other photos of them :yes:

Now cosmetically speaking I received this

IMG_0618_zps067996d4.jpg

I always get exicited when I get things delivered :banana:

IMG_0619_zps329008f3.jpg

More excitement....

IMG_0620_zpsdfbfd38a.jpg

Tadaaaa!!!

IMG_0621_zps4fef8366.jpg

Brand new N1 headlights that will go very well with the rest of the car :)

Edited by Ants
  • Like 1

N1 lights will look good in your car, i love them they made huge difference in overall look of mine

How much did you get the Dremel for? Looking at buying one of these at moment as well for pretty much same reason you bought it for :thumbsup:

Humm....if my memory serves me right the Dremel kit cost $149 from Bunnings for the model I acquired (also inc. 36 piece set). It is an awesome tool and although not that cheap you can do magnificent work with it.

Edited by Ants

Rightyo,

My front bumper needed to be repainted due to the stone chips, scratches and scuffs it had endured while being my daily for several years, so me being the nutty professor that I am :woot: I decided to do it myself (you guys are probably gonna laugh your ass off)

So for this recipe I went to Autobarn and got

IMG_0625_zpsa431012f.jpg

$50 worth of paint stripper,

IMG_0837_zps7dad32cc.jpg

Some White Knight Rust Guard all purpose primer (white in color) from Bunnings costs approx. $15 per can (I purchased 4 cans but only used 1 & 1/2 cans)

IMG_0838_zps997b0fc0.jpg

4 cans of Holts auto spray (paint code PSH01) which costs $25 each from Autobarn (but only used 2 & 1/2 cans)

IMG_0628_zpsac3f59a1.jpg

The official paint color code for you pilgrims ;)

IMG_0626_zps8729e749.jpg

and finally some Motospray Top Coat Clear Coat (the can on the left) also from Autobarn (cost approx $12 per can purchased 3 cans only used 1 can)

Now for the exciting part...the front bumper preparation

IMG_0106_zpsa497e48f.jpg

Semi stripped and while I was at it put some holes in it to fit some N1 vents (I had photos of measurements and fitting but just I somehow wiped my Iphone clean and had to source backup photos but unfortunately this one gone god damn technology :angry: )

IMG_0100_zpsb941f17b.jpg

Photo of semi stirpped front bumper with FRP N1 vents fitted (they will not be remaining in there...and I will touch on that a bit later)

IMG_0362_zps67c20f19.jpg

Photo of bumper now fully stripped of paint, sanded with 1200 grit and cleaned ready for primer

IMG_0363_zpsfc44991a.jpg

The white bits in the centre are holes filled in where the number plate use to reside :blink:

IMG_0366_zpsaa764300.jpg

All primed up

IMG_0365_zps79a3ea36.jpg

Just another shot

IMG_0394_zpsa53466d1.jpg

Front shot of primed bumper (excuse the quality as it was dusk)

IMG_0395_zpsdd30315a.jpg

Wrapped up and protected to be resprayed another day

IMG_0441_zps6fae79df.jpg

The other day is here....first coat of spray (and yest it was resprayed in the Garage)

IMG_0442_zpsf2bf6f67.jpg

Another coat completed

IMG_0445_zps5b419a66.jpg

I was quiet amazed of the quality of the spray paint that came from a can!

IMG_0444_zps7b648d3a.jpg

It is all comming together now

IMG_0446_zpsd137676b.jpg

Photo of final coat

IMG_0447_zps32f26dda.jpg

Outside drying in the beautiful warm (fooking hot) sun

IMG_0108_zpsb5704042.jpg

I did not want to put the FRP N1 vents in I sourced some brand new N1 vents from RHD Japan

IMG_0450_zps05ea10ef.jpg

Photo of finished resprayed bumper with genuine N1 vents (BTW I have not painted the N1 vents as they came white)

IMG_0451_zpsa3a1751b.jpg

Just another shot of it

IMG_0457_zps7cae26a6.jpg

Outside shot of resprayed front bar

IMG_0456_zpsf1ce3f67.jpg

and another shot (the N1 vents fitted perfectly and no adhesive required as it has side clips)

IMG_0459_zps4c3933c6.jpg

A final shot.

I know its not as good as 2pac paint but I thought I would carryout this expirement to see its results as respraying it can be rather expensive (I was quoted $770) and I like to do the work myself :geek:

Next will be the lower lip.

Edited by Ants

Received some brand new nissan OEM parts from RHD Japan the other day

IMG_0849_zps8717c8a2.jpg

Turbo gasket kit, turbo exhaust studs + nuts, manifold studs and front grill clips as mine are fubar'd :cool:

IMG_0851_zpsecb33604.jpg

New relay box cover

IMG_0850_zpsa8e0f7be.jpg

This will replace my weathered relay box cover and makes the engine look.....well look a bit newer :whistling:

IMG_0853_zpsc1db4a29.jpg

Brand new hood sealing rubber (the bit that goes onto the front apron)

In addition to the above I also got the following

IMG_0854_zps11a4f0f6.jpg

New Bosch fuel filter (I actually purchased two and I dont know why as the car only supports one filter :blink: )

IMG_0855_zpsad7eec3d.jpg

X 6 New NGK iridium spark plugs

IMG_0857_zps0ef35798.jpg

New polyurethane exhaust mount bushes to replace the old sh#tty ones purchased really cheaply from ebay

IMG_0859_zpsc6871cf6.jpg

Brand new turbo oil return piping for the GT2860R-5 also acquired from ebay

IMG_0861_zpsd6d1b9c9.jpg

and finally Kando Dynamic braided oil and water kit for the GT2860R-5 but I probably wont fit them as the OEM are probably more reliable IMO.

More parts to come soon such as Nismo intake plenum, Tomei expreme TI exhaust, and others but will keep them as a surprise.

Edited by Ants

Yeah RHD is great and I have used them many times before. I am going to try perfect run japan for the Nismo intake plenum and see what that is like as they seem to be quiet good price wise.

Today I decided to port the -5s as per my previous posts there was quiet a difference between ported ex. manifolds and the -5s ex. housings.

So first up

IMG_0874_zpsc0853470.jpg

we need a GT2860R-5 turbine housing like above (notice the rusty bits we will get that removed as well)

IMG_0875_zps7ec9316b.jpg

Then we get the turbine exhaust housing gasket

IMG_0876_zps7d9f4a7b.jpg

and place it on the turbine exhaust housing like this and then

IMG_0879_zps033e9481.jpg

get your trusty permanent marker and mark around the outlet

IMG_0880_zpse965de87.jpg

and get something like this

IMG_0882_zps8aae2eb2.jpg

then it is time to take the turbine ex. housing off the turbo and you are going to need a spanner...I prefer the ratchet spanners like the one above and are very useful to get to hard to reach places in the tight RB26 engine bay :huh:

IMG_0886_zpscbf44265.jpg

So lets go to town with the spanner like so

IMG_0885_zpsab032fae.jpg

Remember to take the clip off the wastgate in order to remove the turbine ex. housing properly :yes: I just used a flat head screw driver

IMG_0890_zps06d7209a.jpg

After you have removed the necessary bolts and wasteate clip you shoud end up with this

IMG_0891_zpsb6746233.jpg

Put the bolts and clip in safe place where you can't loose them as that is the last thing you want. I put them in zip bag and then placed them in the turbo box.

IMG_0892_zpscefb368c.jpg

Turbine ex. housing before

IMG_0894_zps97b285d1.jpg

Turbine ex. housing after being fresly ported

IMG_0898_zps0e1aa2ec.jpg

Turbine ex. housing after being sanded with dremel tool and then sanded by hand with 1200 grit wet and dry sand paper (also sanded the rusty bits on the exhaust plate)

IMG_0914_zps2c0af2d5.jpg

Next is to put the turbine ex. housing back on the turbo.

IMG_0915_zps0879293e.jpg

Here is a photo with ported ex. housing next to the standard turbo ex. housing

IMG_0918_zps10995863.jpg

here is a better photo showing the difference in size between the ported turbine ex. housing and the standard one

IMG_0925_zps919303e4.jpg

That is how smooth the ported ex. housing is

IMG_0932_zps4cbe3d78.jpg

Ported the second turbo and looks like this....ooohhh very smooth indeed :D

IMG_0935_zps7d762ed8.jpg

Photo of both turbines ex. housings ported

IMG_0928_zps20365ac4.jpg

Finally, the turbos are wrapped back where next time they see daylight will be for installation on the new Tomei Advance Spec RB26 ;)

Now whether there are any gains realised from the porting I cant say for sure, but what I can say is that the turbos should have come like above to start of with IMHO. Will it effect boost, mid-range I don't think so.

I guess once new engine is run in and tuned we will then see the results.

Edited by Ants